cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bryce/Zion/Arches/Mesa Verde

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for advice of what to see and do and anything else along that route. Not interested in shopping, places to eat or any hikes over a half mile. We like scenery, history, museums, touristy places, anything quirky. No children.
15 REPLIES 15

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moab & Arches area is truly special. The hikes in Arches aren't too bad, but I think the hike to the main attraction (Delicate Arch) is over a mile, not steep at all- please do it you won't be disappointed at all).You can take a drive up route 128, along the Colorado River. I believe they filmed a bunch of western movies there. Be sure to visit Dead Horse Point SP too.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed this outdoor Museum;

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
From Arches be sure to visit Canyon Lands - just west. Great hiking.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
For scenery and history you have to experience Mesa Verde National Park and The Durango Silverton Railroad. The Cortez KOA is close to Mesa Verde and it a very nice park and they have a nature trail.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorites over the years are Arches, Capitol Reef and the North side of the Grand Canyon. Though the South side has more to see, it is a Tourist trap of people. Where as the North side is more remote, quiet and less people.

Don't forget some of the Utah State Parks. A must see.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For your special interests, you might want to 'Google' a nearby town to see what they have to offer - museums, etc. They usually post a calendar of events for anything special that's going on.

It sounds like you just want to do a 'look see' in the national parks and explore outside of them.

Have a good trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Adventure Caravans itinerary for their Grand Circle tour of the western parks. They know what's best for their clients. Better yet join up for their September tour which takes the entire month.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling in a fifth wheel, can only do short walks less than a mile. Don't want to go off road. Enjoy any type of tours, entertainment, museums. Sight seeing.

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We will be passing the Tetons about Sept. 15 heading south then east to Ky We have already been to the Tetons so skipping them this trip. We have about two weeks to spend in Bryce, Zion, Arches etc. because we would like to spend about five days in Colorado Springs and need about four days driving home. I think I got enough info about campgrounds.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We leave Thur to go to three of the four places you mentioned. Again - many for 3rd - 6th or 7th time (Moab). And others including Capitol Reef and southwest CO...two months.

We are skipping Zion once again as all we get is a sore heck looking up - except for the beautiful drive in coming down from the east.

You say Arches - one of our favorites. There are many short walks / hikes in Arches.

There is the Island In The Sky (north section - forget driving way out to the south section) of Canyonlands NP out of Moab. Nice drive and short walks to observe this beauty.

If you can, I would recommend going over to Torrey for Capitol Reef NP. We love it.

In all due respect, I think busskipper gives information overload. And many, IMHO, not worth the time. And many far from where you say you are going.

If you do swing down to the Grand Canyon - and I suggest you do it if you can - you do NOT want to go to the North Rim; go to the South Rim. You only see 10% of the Canyon from the NR and have to hike to do that. The SR gives you lots of places to view from and includes many shorter walks.

Mesa Verde is OK and that is about it. It is great to see but it is a long drive in and then mostly ranger led longer walks. I would definitely opt to Capitol Reef instead.

I will PM you with my email address and my websites for you to view of these places.

Enjoy ........... be safe.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like we have similar interests. I've made a Google map for each state as a way to keep track of all of the things that we want to see. Check out Colorado and Utah.

If we've visited a spot I've included a link to a blog post with a short description and information about the site. This is a beautiful section of the country. Take your time and enjoy your trip!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Kentucky_Joe wrote:
We are looking for advice of what to see and do and anything else along that route. Not interested in shopping, places to eat or any hikes over a half mile. We like scenery, history, museums, touristy places, anything quirky. No children.

OK let's see if I can get you to sort of fill in the Blanks,

What time of year?

Order/direction of travel?

Time frame - Days - weeks or months?

Camp ground requirements?

What are we traveling in?

What have you done that you really enjoyed?

Any Phobias - are you good on mountain Roads?

Do you like to go Off Road?

Restrictions?

This will give us a better idea of what you are after and you can get more relevant info.

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Still trying,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
The following describes one of our favorite hikes in Zion. It gives a great view of the canyon from a different angle than most of the hikes. It is only 1 miles round trip and gives you one of the best bangs for your time and effort.

"Canyon Overlook Trail Zion Book: Favorite Hikes in and around Zion National Park
The Canyon Overlook Trail is one of Zion's classics that is well advertised by the park. The trailhead is located immediately east of the 1.1 mile long tunnel. It begins with charming steps, carved into sandstone, that climb above the Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel. The winding trail travels along Pine Creek Canyon, a popular canyoneering route and the Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel. It is a short and easy hike ending at the edge of a cliff that allows a glorious view of lower Zion Canyon, including Zion's famous Switchbacks, the Beehives, West Temple, East Temple, Towers of the Virgin and the Streaked Wall. If you are looking for a high elevation viewpoint, but do not want to tackle a grueling trail like Observation Point, then the Canyon Overlook Trail is ideal. There are lots of hoodoos and wild flowers along the trail that make it fun for kids but keep your children close to you and safe while hiking in Zion."
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have never been in this area. We know to go to Bryce Np, Zion NP, Arches NP and to drive around and see the views and walk around and see the formations. I've read some on Mesa Verde. I don't know how to be more specific. I guess I was hoping for advice of other things to do near these main areas. Like maybe there is a museum to visit near Bryce that you would recommend we stop at. Or maybe there is a rodeo to attend. Something to give us a break from driving all day. I appreciate your naming those areas. I can research them on trip adviser. Sorry I am so vague. Don't know enough to be specific...