cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

camping advice around Jackson Hole, WY

tx_maniac
Explorer
Explorer
This summer we are taking our motorhome from Estes Park, CO to Grizzly RV on the west side of Yellowstone.

We would like to stay around Jackson Hole for a few days to view the Tetons, but am unfamiliar with campgrounds around there.

Can anyone offer advice on good campgrounds for big rigs and also any we should avoid? We would appreciate it.

thanks
Mike and Joanne
Mike and Joanne Patrick
2011 Thor Tuscany 40LX DP
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
:B
25 REPLIES 25

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gros Ventre is our favorite. It's in the park, dry camping and gorgeous view of the Tetons. Lots of wildlife roaming around. It would be the closest to Jackson if you want to do stuff there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Advice for camping in Jackson - don't.....go to Colter Bay.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colter Bay RV park is my choice.If you need internet service just go over to the laundry mat,it is also the shower house. Three really nice ladies run the place.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
For seeing the Tetons I like Colter Bay Village RV Park

Add my recommendation to this list.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
tessa25 wrote:
For seeing the Tetons I like Colter Bay Village RV Park. Full hookups there. I like being able to walk to the lake with my dogs. Many here like Gros Ventre, closer to Jackson.

X2 it is in the park and very near the lake, only negative is that there is only one pay shower location near the general store.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped at both the Colter Bay campground and the RV park(only once). We love the Colter Bay campground, even if it is "dry" since it's so close to the lake and in basically in the middle of the Park. Gros Ventre is a very nice campground, closer to Jackson for what that's worth, but a little farther away from the prettier parts of the Park. Both Colter Bay and Gros Ventre have about 300 dry camping spots, both have some spots with electricity, but these "pads" with the electricity are basically or handicapped campers who need a constant source of electricity. Doesn't mean you can't get one, but they keep some of them aside for handicapped campers until later in the day. We have camped at Colter Bay for about 50 years and hit Gros Ventre last spring for the first time. I prefer Colter Bay but different strokes for different folks.
John A. Lichty

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Gros Ventre.

Be sure to get early on clear morning and go to Mormon Row and watch the sunrise light the valley, then the mountains. Almost Heaven.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Virginian RV Park in Jackson is OK. If you want to be in the Park with FHU try Colter Bay RV Park. If you can survive without FHU our favorite campground in the Tetons is Gros Ventre. They have one loop with electric plus water/dump at the entrance.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

tessa25
Explorer
Explorer
For seeing the Tetons I like Colter Bay Village RV Park. Full hookups there. I like being able to walk to the lake with my dogs. Many here like Gros Ventre, closer to Jackson.
Palomino Gazelle G150

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
The Virginian is a nice park right in town.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts search this Forum in the RV Parks section for `Jackson' which will include Jackson Hole. FYI Jackson is the town, Jackson Hole is the area.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)