cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping just north of Oakland California

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
We live in North East, Maryland. Yes, that is the name of the town and it is not small, we do have TWO traffic lights!

Back to the topic! We are planning to go to Oakland CA, just south of Berkley College, and we are looking for a good place to park our Motorhome while we visit with our grandchildrenโ€ฆ oh yeah, our children also!

Canโ€™t seem to find any decent RV campgrounds near that area. Can anyone make any recommendations on where we can stay?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL
15 REPLIES 15

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't get into Anthony Chabot or want to due to the windy drive, I recommend staying at the Alameda Fairgrounds RV park in Pleasanton. You can drive a short distance and ride (BART - the electric rapid transit train) to Oakland or Berkely area or drive your car/truck to visit. The park is a longer drive to stay at but worth it for the convenience. Riding BART is the way to go if you have transportation at the other end and avoid commute times. I believe that they run until midnight, but not sure. I stay at the fairgrounds whenever I visit family in the S.F. Area which is several times a year. Gong there next week!
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with Chabot is it is a 15-20 minute drive over a narrow, slow, twisty, although scenic road to get to a freeway and then another 20 minutes to Berkley, and that is with no traffic. On weekends the road is crowded with bicycle riders and takes even longer to negotiate. You would be better off taking the BART from further out than trying to drive from Chabot.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Our thanks to all who have replied to our post.

Our first choice so far is Anthony Chabot.

We are visiting in Late April, and they say that you canโ€™t make a reservation until 12 weeks ahead of time. One issue that we have heard of:

Supposedly, they โ€œlock the gateโ€ at 10 PM and you canโ€™t get back to your campsite after that time?
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are camp photos of Anthony Chabot:

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/ca/anthony-chabot-regional-park/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that Anthony Chabot being the closest.
Hope you aren't visiting in the Summer!
It may already be booked up for the Summer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to Campgrounds
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
We stayed at Anthony Chabot Regional Park just north of Castro Valley. We had full hook-ups and it was a very nice campground, as opposed to an RV park. I see a Charles Lee Tilden Regional Park just north of Berkley and it might be a similar set up. Check out their web sites.

Chabot is a nice park in a heavily wooded area. Feels like you are out in the wilderness but very close to the densely populated bay area. I don't think there is anything north of Oakland or Berkeley. Maybe a few very old mobile home parks that might have a temporary spot.
Pleasanton fair grounds is good but it's a tough drive to Oakland/Berkeley if you travel during commute hours.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Anthony Chabot, if you want to feel like you are in the deep woods and not in an urban area.

Last summer, there was no eastside access from Castro Valley -- road closed for repair -- and the only access was from Hwy 13 on the west side of the park.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on anthony chabot campground

CaFordGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Try the RV park at the Pleasanton fairgrounds. An OK park in a really good area. About a 30 minute drive to the Berkeley area if you avoid the commute.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Anthony Chabot Regional Park just north of Castro Valley. We had full hook-ups and it was a very nice campground, as opposed to an RV park. I see a Charles Lee Tilden Regional Park just north of Berkley and it might be a similar set up. Check out their web sites.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Closest park that may take your Motorhome is in San Leandro. Trailer Haven, 2399 E 14th St, San Leandro, CA 94577, PH (510) 357-3235 it is mostly mobile homes and a few RV slots. Nice people, tight spaces, 25 minutes from Emeryville/Berkley. There are a few other places closer but they do not have space for even a 30 ft RV as of Jun-Aug this year. Your best bet is using a AirBnB or check out Craigs list the East Bay for a sublet. You may also try House Sitters America link
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live in San Jose. There are very few choices:

KOA in Petaluma, north bay
Pacifica on coast south of San Francisco
Half Moon Bay on coast south of San Francisco
Morgan Hill, south of San Jose
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
I would have your kids go look at several parks, usually only takes a minute to say yes or no, after all it's Oakland.