cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CG west of Va Beach on 58

jgolden
Explorer
Explorer
Mid May, we will be headed to Charlotte NC with a visit to friends IN VA beach. Coming down I-95 then 58 towards Va Beach.
Don't need to take MH into VA beach area and would like to know of a good Camp Ground west of VA Beach within range in order to visit with car and return same day.

Thanks any info.
2016 Newmar BayStar Sport Ford F53 chassis down sized from :2001 Newmar MountainAire 350Cummins ISC,Spartan, 2015 GMC Terrain
11 REPLIES 11

jgolden
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional info on VA Beach CG's

Have to say I love the sound and sight of those Jets ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Newmar BayStar Sport Ford F53 chassis down sized from :2001 Newmar MountainAire 350Cummins ISC,Spartan, 2015 GMC Terrain

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would vote for Davis Lakes if you want to be along Rt. 58. We have stayed there and it is a very nice campground. The folks are friendly, the lake swimming is great. I am guessing it is about an hour to an hour and a half to Virgina Beach, all good highways. If you want to stay along the I-64 corridor, I have been told the Newport News city park campground is very good. I have not stayed there. If you are a C2C member, Indian Cove resort in Virginia Beach is very nice, but requires driving into Virginia Beach. Depending on where you are coming from and where you are going, Northwest River park of Rt. 168 in Chesapeake near the N.C. border offers water and electric sites (no swimming).
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
How about Davis Lakes & Campground in Suffolk VA looks like is is not too far off Rt 58. The reviews seem very good. Still close to VA Beach.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
What about Newport News? Can't remember the name of the park, maybe a city park, but right on I64. Did a drive thru once when we were at Chipokes, it's a very large nice CG.

Newport News City Park. It is (been a long time) nice city park / campground.

GoneCamping
Explorer
Explorer
Chesapeake Campground (former KOA) is not a bad choice, but it is 95% monthly rentals, but they do keep a few sites available for transient campers...reserve early. You will likely only get water & electric there though. If you're lucky enough to get sites 1 - 7 you can get a clear shot at the southern sky for satellite reception as even though the sites are wooded those front row sites are clear to the south. I lived there in my camper for about 2 years. You'll be about 10 minutes from I-64 and about 30-45 minutes from Va Beach depending on where in VB you're going.

Other than that, the only other campground I can think of is Davis Lakes Campground in Suffolk. A little further out not far off of Rt-58. Again, this one is mostly seasonal campers, but one section available for transient... water & electric again.

If you want to stay in Va Beach but avoid the hustle & bustle of KOA and Holiday Travel Park, then you could look at North Landing Beach Campground, it's inside VB city limits, but it's out in the Pungo area just north of the NC state line, very out of the way, very country, and a nice campground (and not a bunch of Jet's zooming by at tree top level).
*Cliff*
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration!"

2000 Ford F-150
2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 300 TBS
Chesapeake, Virginia

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about Newport News? Can't remember the name of the park, maybe a city park, but right on I64. Did a drive thru once when we were at Chipokes, it's a very large nice CG.
Puma 30RKSS

jgolden
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. Have stayed at VA Beach Holiday Travel Park a number of times but thought we could avoid the area a little bit and still visit. Guess we will probably do the usual. Thanks to all.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know anything about it but there is the Chesapeake Campground right on the Great Dismal Swamp canal. Depending on time of year the boat traffic could be interesting to watch.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Chipoakes is quite a drive from Va Beach but a very nice state park. I would just bring the RV into Va Beach. We generally stay at a military campground but our commercial choice would be Holiday Travel Park. Easy to get to from I-264 and back out to US -58. Just depends how far you want to drive. Another good choice would be Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield, VA. US-58 is a big speed trap especially near Emporia, VA so watch your speed in that area.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest Chipokes Plantation State Park.It's not on 58,it's northwest of Va Beach.Nice newer section with water and electric hookups.About an hour to Va Beach.

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
That's a tough one. Sort of depends on 'in range'. The only one I can think of on 58 would be North Bend COE which is about 3 hours away. We have also stayed at Americamps in Ashland right on I95 just north of Richmond. That is about 2 hours away or more depending on traffic. There is also Chippokes Plantation State Park about an hour away.

What part of upstate NY are you coming from? We travel to Syracuse to visit family and take I81 to I66 to US17 to I95 to I64 to avoid DC. It is actually shorter to take I81 to I476 to I95 then US13 down the eastern shore. If you took that route you could stay in Virginia Beach (Holiday Travl Park or First Landing State Park) then leave on US58. As long as you don't leave early in the morning you would avoid most bad traffic. First Landing is only a couple of miles from US13 and leaving you would pick up the interstate heading against most of the rush hour (58 joins the interstate). Your friends can advise more about the traffic.

If you decide on Chippokes, take I95 to US460 then follow signs to Chippokes. Return to US460 and continue east until it joins with US58.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW