cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Civil Disobedience at Acadia

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
The feeling here is that is a people's Park, given to the US as a gift from Bat Harbor Citizens. I neither advocate or disagree, just report:
A walk in the Park
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie
17 REPLIES 17

charles
Explorer
Explorer
I was hunting in Allegheny National Forest and saw a Forestry worker throw his lunch trash out the window including a water bottle. I tried to report him but without a license number to no avail so some of the trash pickers are trash themselves.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW: THere seemed to be plenty of people enjoying Acadia today. I went past many of the entrances to the park and the roads were littered with cars. A few were people stopping to take pictures but many cars were empty. Presumably those were for people hiking the trails. There were several spots on Otter Creek Rd (Rt.3) where I could see people on the trails in the park. At the end of Otter Cliff Rd where it hits the Park Loop Rd I saw several cyclists using the Loop Rd. I even took a picture of one couple using their camera for them while I was taking foliage pictures. I wished them well.

The so called gates are low and easy to bypass on foot.

I have to admit, when I passed a sign "Children at Play" I was thinking of a location far south of Acadia.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I say the same thing during hurricane season in Fl. I'm one of those who has to go to work when there is a hurricane and respond when some fool gets his/her butt in a ringer instead of heeding the warnings. People just feel it is always them first and the heck with everyone else. I always tell my wife, that should I die or get hurt because of someone else's stupidity to get their name and vital info and hire a good attorney. Yes, it is my job to help those during catastrophes but it isn't my job to fix stupid.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Black7beard wrote:
lizzie wrote:
We have a lot of "civil disobedience" here in the National Forests in the mountains.

That's not civil disobedience, that's just trash being trash. I have no doubt the same people who trash public lands are the same ones who dump their ash trays in parking lots, dump oil, litter and steal anything they get the chance to. If you go to their home I'm sure you'll find the same thing they leave at parks, trash and garbage strewn about. Make any excuse you want, but human trash is human trash.

Make any excuse you want, but human trash is human trash ABSOLUTELY!!!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Huge teaching moment possible for kids using someone like Rosa Parks as an example-peaceful rebellion. It also teaches them that if they do something wrong and get caught they will have to pay the price. You can delineate what's "civil disobedience" versus a destructive crime. Again, not advocating or discouraging, just sayin'.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

brokeboater
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
We have a lot of "civil disobedience" here in the National Forests in the mountains.

That's not civil disobedience, that's just trash being trash. I have no doubt the same people who trash public lands are the same ones who dump their ash trays in parking lots, dump oil, litter and steal anything they get the chance to. If you go to their home I'm sure you'll find the same thing they leave at parks, trash and garbage strewn about. Make any excuse you want, but human trash is human trash.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Crowe wrote:
No skin off my nose one way or the other. If you intentionally break the rules for good or bad reasons, then accept the penalty with a smile on your face. No whining.

Agree. However, I do agree that it's OUR property as we pay the taxes that support the parks, but it's a matter of semantics.

I believe, and defended my right to say it plenty of years ago, the parks belong to the people of the USA. And the 'rules' that close them don't mean anything to me because I also believe the rules are not legal. BUT, the gates make it impossible to enter the parks.

We're heading down H-395 in CA - there are plenty of parks here, but no state parks. We therefore, had to stay in hotels and are 3000 miles from home. We have full intentions of sending the bills for these hotels to our representative, so he can pay for the difference between the $8 camping fee, and the $150 hotel fee for eight days. Yes, I know, won't pay it, probably, but it will make a statement.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
No skin off my nose one way or the other. If you intentionally break the rules for good or bad reasons, then accept the penalty with a smile on your face. No whining.

Agree. However, I do agree that it's OUR property as we pay the taxes that support the parks, but it's a matter of semantics.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a picture today of a German family visiting the USA stepping over the gate to Eagle Lake in Acadia to have a picnic at the lake. They were among many "visiting" different parts of Acadia.

Good for them. This is exactly what "we the people" should be doing nation wide. Let's take back our country.
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
ryegatevt wrote:
The feeling here is that is a people's Park, given to the US as a gift from Bat Harbor Citizens. I neither advocate or disagree, just report:
A walk in the Park
I saw a picture today of a German family visiting the USA stepping over the gate to Eagle Lake in Acadia to have a picnic at the lake. They were among many "visiting" different parts of Acadia.
Gene and DW Ginny

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:
..I thought it was J D Rockefeller that donated the land that is now Acadia National Park? ....
It was George B. Dorr starting in 1901 that was the driving force to preserve what is now Acadia. He bought and donated a large part of the land. John D. Rockefeller Jr. did endow much of the land and built 50 miles of carriage roads that were closed to automobiles.
Gene and DW Ginny

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
This park is in Maine? I don't think I'll be partaking in this event. It's a pretty good drive from Indiana and I don't think I've got enough accrued leave time from work right now for several days away. But, thanks for the invitation!

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
ryegatevt wrote:
A walk in the Park

I thought it was J D Rockefeller that donated the land that is now Acadia National Park? He did a similar thing in St Johns, USVI.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S