cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool (temperature) parks in California?

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
Besides along the ocean, do you have any favorite California parks to visit in the summer where it is not hot?
10 REPLIES 10

vairman
Explorer
Explorer
Try Eagle Lake. We really enjoyed the Merrill Campground. It was around 85 at the campground while it was 102 17 miles away in Susanville. One of the nicest campgrounds we have ever stayed in!

Mark
2011 F450 6.7L PSD Lariat
2013 Lifestyle 36FW
25K Airsafe Hitch

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
any of the many beach campgrounds! But they are busy in the summer.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I just heard this morning that it snowed(lightly) in both Mammoth and Yosemite! The temp yesterday afternoon in Mammoth was in the low 60's....not bad for July.

Honestly, the past few years, there isn't much "forecasting" for the weather - it just does what it wants and we adjust plans as necessary. ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Look at EDISON CAMPGROUND at Shaver Lake. Even if the temp. is warm there is usually enough shade to keep you cool. Both partial and full hook-up sites. Although with any cg in CA it may be hard to get a space during this time of the year without a reservation.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Pick a spot along Hwy 395 a beauty of a highway with many choice for RV parks, dry campgrounds or boondocking.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just heard this morning that it snowed(lightly) in both Mammoth and Yosemite! The temp yesterday afternoon in Mammoth was in the low 60's....not bad for July.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Just spent a few days in Benbow Valley KOA in the Redwoods near Garberville. Lovely, shady, excellent (5 star) restaurant, on a golf course, and in the Redwoods. It can get warm, but by SoCal standards, cool.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
In that case, head up to the mountains and the NF campgrounds. Dry camping. Weather in summer is warm during the day and cool at night. Almost always a body of water (reservoir, river, etc.) at or near the campground. Lots of trees and shade.

I'm in Northern California, so my favorites may be farther away than you'd prefer, but here are a couple of my favorite areas:

Lakes Basin area - Plumas and Tahoe NFs; lots of campgrounds to choose from, some on creeks/streams, some on lakes.

Ice House, Union Valley Reservoirs and Loon Lake - El Dorado NF; lots of campgrounds that vary in clientele. Ice House Reservoir campgrounds cater to water skiers, jet skiers, etc.; Union Valley campgrounds are more family oriented with some boats; Loon Lake is more remote/secluded.

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer "real" campgrounds for their trees/scenery and their usually bigger sites, but stay in RV parks if there are historic things or museums nearby. Either elec. or dry is fine.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you looking for California State Parks or RV parks in California? Do you want full hookups, electric only, or dry camping?