cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Defacing National Parks

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember about a year ago reading about a young woman that visited and defaced several of our National Parks with her so-called art work. I think her name was Casey Nockett.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything about it in almost a year. Supposedly, the NPS was going to track her down and charge her with several felonies. Has anyone heard if the NPS ever did anything about this vandalism in the parks?

I'm hoping so, but I can't find any related stories about it...Don
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
28 REPLIES 28

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
korbe wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
One main difference between the rock paintings and carvings - the Native Americans created that artwork on rocks they owned.

Graffiti 'artists' paint on items they DON'T own.

I thought that we, the American people "own" our National Parks, and we "allow" our government to manage those parks for us.

So, if the citizens of the USA own it, including the graffiti jerks, and the government manages it, then it's OK with you for graffiti jerks to paint it?

Did I say something to insinuate that I approve of graffiti jerks painting stuff?

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
korbe wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
One main difference between the rock paintings and carvings - the Native Americans created that artwork on rocks they owned.

I thought that we, the American people "own" our National Parks, and we "allow" our government to manage those parks for us.

So, if the citizens of the USA own it, including the graffiti jerks, and the government manages it, then it's OK with you for graffiti jerks to paint it?
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting discussion. One could argue that the petroglyphs were a form of communication - warning others of potential dangers, etc.

But, one could argue the same for graffiti.

In 500 years, will they be looked upon with the same educational leaning.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pryamids

Petroglyphs

Independence Rock WY

'Graffiti'

Thin line between historical and 'graffiti'
In 100 yrs will modern graffiti be looked upon as historical?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to have to deal with similar mentality when I was in the snorkeling business & the live coral was the major attraction, along with the fish. The stuff is very slow growing & highly suseptible to damage from human touch.

Try getting that message through to the boneheads who could not understand that it was there for them to see only because those before left it alone.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Fish__n___Grits
Explorer
Explorer
Some years back we were at Petrified Forest and I witnessed two guys in their 20's pick up a BIG! chunk of petrified wood and lug it to their SUV. I told them that the fine for removing anything from the park was really big and they told me to mind my own blankety - blank business. So --- when I got to the gate I ratted them out. They were caught and (I hope) paid the big fine.
Billy & Dale
'99 F350 DRW Superduty
'02 Lance 1161
Salli the "Schnoodle"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
Litch wrote:
korbe wrote:
Litch wrote:
korbe wrote:
.......And when the Indians did it, I believe it was called something different. ๐Ÿ™‚
It absolutely amazes me that someone would use this as a comparison to justify such irresponsible actions.
I am surely not attempting to justify irresponsibility, just stating something to think about.
They also did not have the means to chart their history in journals and computers like we do today. Just stating something to think about.
I wonder if the Indian petroglyphs were done to chart their history or is it that we just use those carvings to chart their history.
If she would stick to painting her own home I am sure someone would find it interesting in 2000+ years.
If she wants to paint the forest blue then she should purchase it and do what she likes.

I doubt she would appreciate every artist painting their free spirit in her house.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Nov 1,2015 seems to be the most recent info.

May end up not being pursed :S

LINK

--------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the link. It does seem to be dragging out, and only a misdemeanor. You're probably right about the NPS not doing anything, which will send a message to future wannabe artists that nothing will happen if they continue to deface our National Parks.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Litch wrote:
korbe wrote:
Litch wrote:
korbe wrote:
.......And when the Indians did it, I believe it was called something different. ๐Ÿ™‚

It absolutely amazes me that someone would use this as a comparison to justify such irresponsible actions.

I am surely not attempting to justify irresponsibility, just stating something to think about.

They also did not have the means to chart their history in journals and computers like we do today. Just stating something to think about.

I wonder if the Indian petroglyphs were done to chart their history or is it that we just use those carvings to chart their history.

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
Litch wrote:
korbe wrote:

2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
MNGeeks61 wrote:
"A quick glimpse at the handiwork by Nocket, the goblin topplers or the hundreds of tourist names inscribed on the rockface below will demonstrate that some people just don't get the idea of leaving a place better than when you found it."

I was thinking it was generational too...how many of us here were taught this lesson? Or better yet: "It's not my property, I will not deface it."

It's not generational. People have been marking trees, rocks, etc., forever. Regardless of whose property it's on. People have been taking home "souvenirs" of rocks, petrified wood, etc., forever.

Laws about it have been made because it's been a problem for a long time and has been shown to destroy the value of the parks - not because this generation has no respect.
Very true, there are places where members of the Roman legions carved their names into and onto cave and building walls. Ramses II had his cartouche carved into columns and buildings over older carvings.

Don't take the above statement as tacit approval of what that person has done. I hate graffiti in almost all places, but especially on places that are still pristine.

I was in Yellowstone Nat'l Park in the late 70's and watched a trailer stop at a turnoff, and a woman got out, broke off a large piece of calcite, this was near some hot springs, and hopped back into the vehicle and away they went. I was stunned.

The one that affected me the most was when I saw the Titanic exhibit. They had the replica of the iceberg on display and people of all ages were carving their names into the ice. I actually cried seeing them get excited about writing their names on what was truly a representation of so many deaths. I thought then and still think today that our society has lost empathy (all ages).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Litch wrote:
korbe wrote: