cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DH dreading 2019 trip to Yellowstone.

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to YNP 5 times, first in 2005 last 2016. My favorite park hands down , after the last visit, not so much for DH. Each visit has been arriving second week in September with a 2 week stay. I am asking for a return trip in 2019 for my birthday. DH has acquiesced reluctantly.
The crowds the last 2 trips were jaw dropping compared to years past. My question is if we wait until first 2weeks in October will there be a significant difference? I know it will never be light, maybe lighter. Opinions please.
Thank you,
Sherry
45 REPLIES 45

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
suprz wrote:
I have heard rumors that Zion and Yellowstone are considering only allowing tour buses and trams in the parks to relieve the congestion from individual cars

Zion already does during the busy season--no cars in the park. Don't know about tour buses, and don't remember seeing any at any of the stops inside the park.

Zion is considering making people make reservations just to get into the park.

Sluggo54 wrote:
IOW, check seasons closely. What happens in the park is that the schedule may say, for example, that the cabins at Canyon are open until the 12th of Never, but you are not told that only two cabins are open on the 12th, the rest started closing on the 1st. It's difficult to find staff late in the fall.

We went to Yellowstone in the 3rd week of September several years ago, just before Grant Campground was closing. We scouted sites because we're a 40-foot motorhome and have solar, and when we went to the office to get a site, we were told those sites were not available because they'd already had their end-of-season work done on them, and they had to squeeze us in to to adjacent sites, accessed by backing down the road.

And it was cold and dark in there!

Sluggo54
Explorer
Explorer
The crowds in 2015, were discouraging. We had planned a trip in July, a year head of time, to celebrate our 50th anniversary. Due to FIL's health issues and death during the anniversary week, the trip was postponed. After his passing, we did the best we could to reschedule at the end of the season. We ended up with one night at Old Faithful Lodge, our favorite place on the entire planet. We had two nights at Lake Hotel, at $414 per. One night in Mammoth,then all the lodging closed so we had three nights at a nice motel in Cody - then it closed.
IOW, check seasons closely. What happens in the park is that the schedule may say, for example, that the cabins at Canyon are open until the 12th of Never, but you are not told that only two cabins are open on the 12th, the rest started closing on the 1st. It's difficult to find staff late in the fall.
We noticed, too, that there were many more buses than in the past, most filled with overseas tourists. That eases just a bit the traffic, but jams up the lodging and food service. We were told that on the 28th of October there were 90 buses in the park. That may have been our last visit.
DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
derouen6 wrote:
azrving wrote:
Easy. Person who drives has first choice on where to go.

That would be me!
Sherry

Then he has it made. ๐Ÿ™‚

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard rumors that Zion and Yellowstone are considering only allowing tour buses and trams in the parks to relieve the congestion from individual cars
Proud father of a US Marine

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We also were at Yellowstone in 2016, but in June. The crowds were very large that year for us too. IMO there were two reasons for the big attendance. Gas prices were down from previous years and 2016 was the 100th anniversary of the National Park Ranger. Perhaps people thought some unusual celebrations were going on.

Gas prices have been rising and could be higher next year, which could discourage some people from long distance travel.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
derouen6 wrote:
My favorite park hands down , after the last visit, not so much for DH.
I can absolutely feel your DH's pain...! We were there two years ago during the 2nd & 3rd weeks of Sept. and I'm afraid it'll be our last. Thankfully, we took lots of pics and video, so we'll just look at those if thoughts of another trip there ever arise.

We too were spoiled by first going there between 20 & 30 years ago and a few times since. There would occasionally be busy periods but not the LA freeway-like traffic jams that now seem to be the norm. I recall one morning at around 8:30 AM, SWIMBO and I spotted a lone bull elk up in an old burn, maybe 75 yards from the road. We pulled over and went up into the slash to take photos, and within 5 minutes, we could barely get back to our truck, and were blocked from moving for several more minutes by the multitude of vehicles that had slowed and blocked the road. It was surreal.

The other big difference from years ago -- it now seems to be perfectly acceptable to simply stop in your lane to look at a critter, even if it's well off the road. We lost track of how many times we were caught in traffic jambs behind people doing this.

So good luck with your trip -- hope you let us know how it goes.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the crowds were terrible, I would find another place. With record sales of RVs and all the newbies, it will only be worse. There are plenty of wonderful national and state parks to visit. Why go somewhere only to fight crowds?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I would go in late September.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:

That would be me!
Sherry

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
Was there 3 years ago. We had reservations for Grant CG 2nd week of Oct and there was a long line of ppl trying to get in without reservations. We had 2 inches of snow last few days the CG was open.

dedmiston
We stayed at the Lodge (not camping) in mid-October years ago. It was the last week before they closed for the season. The fall weather was gorgeous and the mood with all of the staff was like a carnival before they ended their season. I would absolutely go back at that time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
September crowds are still a lot less than those during the summer, so just tell DH you're being nice by not insisting on a summer trip!

Yes, one can go in October and there will be fewer people. But as noted, snow is not to be unexpected. I see you are from LA. Make sure your rig is adequately prepared for below freezing temps at night. Think teens or 20's.

Besides the weather, I think the biggest downside to such a late excursion is that the leaves have all changed and have fallen. Upsides include fewer people and a better chance to see more wildlife.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Fall or early Winter trip to Yellowstone will be wonderful change from what you have already experienced.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Madison CG does not close till October 14 or there about. Cold, snow, YEA!!!