cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Downtown Atlanta GA - RV Friendly??

aeejbe
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last week in July, DW & I are traveling across country for a 3 day family reunion to be held in Atlanta, GA.
The festivities will be hosted at the Downtown Sheraton Hotel. Somewhat the congested area as we understand.
ASIDE from arranging for hotel parking as a possible option... ...
Can anyone recommend a decent camp site / parking site located nearby OR not too far away, for our 30 foot class C?
We likely will "drag along" our Saturn toad.
13 REPLIES 13

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend that you stay at a park outside of the Perimeter (I-285) use the toad to drive to one of the park and ride lots for MARTA (parking is usually free) and take the MARTA train into downtown Atlanta. The Big Peach is horrible traffic wise for cars and I wouldn't take an RV downtown on a dare. The MARTA trains are clean, quick, and can take you within a block or two of the Sheraton (which I believe is close to Peachtree Center MARTA station). You'll need to purchase a BREEZE card at the station for a buck, then load it with enough money to pay your fares. You can buy the day pass option as well and ride the entire system for one low fare.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want to drive an RV off the interstate in downtown at all. Is it doable? Sure, there are delivery trucks down there every day. But I wouldn't want to do it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Throwing this out there in case you just need parking.

The Georgia World Congress Center offers RV overnights for football games at the nearby stadium (Georgia Dome and its replacement under construction). The main RV lot is called the Marshaling Yard. It is used for the trucks and busses during events other than football.

I don't know if they allow overnights other than football days. You could check. Also, you may be able to park the rig there, if you decide to stay with the family at the hotel.

I had no problem getting my 35-footer in and out of there for the WVU/Alabama game a couple years ago. Many 45-footers pulled in while we were there, too. As already noted, some of the traffic lanes were narrow. It is doable.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

aeejbe
Explorer II
Explorer II
At this point, weโ€™re kinda leaning towards staying at Stone Mountain for the few nights. Planning the (safety) particulars of THIS outing reminds me once again that our preferred choice to use the motorhome to get about is understood as acceptable with but only a minority of distance travelers. ?Envy? Iโ€™m resigned that our much anticipated trip may quickly turn into another huge battle with the locals there as they cope with their traffic hassles - unless I pop one of my "attitude adjustment" pills, & just go with the flow. Go figure... ... that youโ€™re reading THIS from a long time resident of the Los Angeles area. HA!

wbwood:
Learning about MARTA access into downtown Atlanta does sound like an option I just might make work to our advantage. Taking two deep breaths here. See there: That pill is kickinโ€™-in already! I appreciate all the time taken to offer replies here.
And please keep the comments & the suggestions coming. THANX!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't you just love driving through and around towns like Atlanta... All of the lanes keep disappearing on you it seems making you blend into traffic... I blend good to the left but blending in with the right lanes is a chore for me even with my much smaller OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer... Makes you start moving over with your flashers on and waitig for a horn to alert you...

Sometimes going straight thru town is better because they don't mix with all the by-pass major roadway intersections as bad...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Stone Mountain

Marietta RV Resort

Atlanta South

Red Top Mountain State Park
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Stone Mountain would be the best and closest....you can actually take Marta to downtown from not too far away from the campground and save having to drive into town.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Red Top Mountain State Park and enjoyed it. We only stayed a couple nights but drove to Atlanta with just the truck. And, depending on the time of day, your travel time will probably double. I75 is very busy during both rush hours.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
There are some Army COE and county parks up around the town of Cumming at Lake Lanier north of the city. Haven't stayed there but might be worth investigating. Highway 19/400 goes into downtown from there.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
Stone Mountain is 30min away and is a really neat place to stay. It's the "Mt. Rushmore" of the south.

And apparently is the ONLY decent campground near to Atlanta; at least it's the only one I've been able to find.

And in answer to the question posed in your title:
NO, downtown Atlanta is not friendly to cars much less RVs.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on Stone Mountain. Beautiful place to stay.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stone Mountain or Red Top Mountain are the two closest choices. Both about 30 minutes.

Rangerman40 - been a long time since I've heard it called Mt Rushmoore of the South.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Stone Mountain is 30min away and is a really neat place to stay. It's the "Mt. Rushmore" of the south.