cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East Coast RV Trips

joejoe3170
Explorer
Explorer
I'm live on the east coast (Maryland) and basically have been from Maine to Florida but I'm looking for something new perhaps Vermont, NH or NC, SC but a nice campground full hook ups, neat town etc.Any ideas
13 REPLIES 13

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
roamer1. We didn't go into Pine Creek via 13. The gps took us on some back roads. We didn't start off to well setting up in the campground either. First there were 2 holes cover with grass and my DW didn't see them she stepped into one and landed on her back. Then while I was looking for the hookups I couldn't find the electric. Seems it was in a growth of brush covered with wild rose bushes. The campground was fine for us to go to the Finger Lakes Wine festival and visits to the waterfalls and Ithaca. When we left we came down 327 to 96 to 17 east to 81. It wasn't bad except I was freaked out by the low bridges 12'6 and 12'7 in Ostego. I'm supposed to be 12'8. As it worked out they both must have been 13+ because everything on the roof is still there.
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Lancaster Co in PA lots to see & do.

Agree Charleston SC as mentioned also Fort Sumter is there along with Civil War sub the Huntley that was risen from the local ocean / bay area, & the WWII era aircraft carrier Yorktown. The Battery, Ghost Tours & much more.

Of course lots to see & do in Myrtle Beach SC but very commercial.

Mayberry NC with everything Andy Griffith, Mayberry Campground.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
joejoe3170 wrote:
I'm live on the east coast (Maryland) and basically have been from Maine to Florida but I'm looking for something new perhaps Vermont, NH or NC, SC but a nice campground full hook ups, neat town etc.Any ideas

OK Joe, lots to do on the East Coast - but what are you after. My guess id the mountains. Great trip is South to Ashville you could catch the Builtmore then head up to Lake Toxaway area, lots of CG's and Lakes and Water Falls - this is where they filmed the The Last of the Mohicans - just a beautiful area. A lot of neat towns and just a fun place to watch the Sun Set and Rise.

Nothing against Vermont and NH but we love upstate NY -- head up to Oswego, New York - nice little CG right on the Lake Sun Set Beach if I remember, but the CG is just the place to rest after the drive up. Lake Placid -- and Adirondack Park will give you a full summer. - if it is warm you better have a good amount of deet spray.

Give us a little more info and we will try to give you more directed info, back.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Romer1 wrote:
James Island campground in Charleston, SC. One of the nicest campgrounds we've ever been to and plenty to do in the area

Agree this is very nice too, if you want to go south. Charleston is a great city to visit. Lots of nice things to see. The battery, the plantations, the Angel oak.

James Island County Park is a wonderful park. Reserve well in advance. The dog park is wonderful for dogs....and people that love them. Beware that this means there are lots of dogs in the park. Also a water park. Fishing pier. Sites nice and wide and roomy.

If traveling in the summer it can be fairly hot and humid. Where New England/New York can be hot and humid too in July/August. But not nearly as bad as S.C. In winter, I would head more south. Summer, go north.

You like beaches? If going south, then...Outer Banks, of N.C. Great seafood too.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We're booked for The Bluffs, the OF over-50 cg near Danforth Bay, NH. The agenda includes Mt Washington and canoeing the Saco river.

We really liked Odetah cg in Connecticut also.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
We loved our trip last month to Kennybunkport and our stay at Red Apple CG. A fantastic CG.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
lat471 wrote:
Romer1. Yes it is Pine Creek. I guess I'll have to be up for a challenge drive towing the 5er. Thanks for the warning.

You'll probably be coming up 13 to 327. 327 has some interesting hills and curves (10-15mph). Was just there a couple weeks ago.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Just some ideas:

The outer banks of NC - Some nice campgrounds Rodanthe - Hatteras lighthouse, tallest in the US - Wright Memorial

Charleston, SC - Several nice campgrounds (we prefer James Island County Park, which is especially good if you travel with dogs) - antebellum south

The Blue Ridge Parkway - highest mountains east of the Mississippi are in NC. (The New Englanders think it is Mount Washington in NH, but Mount Washington is not even in the top 10.) There are lots of commercial campgrounds just off of the Parkway. Depending on the size of your rig you could dry camp in the Parkway campgrounds.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
Romer1. Yes it is Pine Creek. I guess I'll have to be up for a challenge drive towing the 5er. Thanks for the warning.
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
joejoe3170 wrote:

James Island campground in Charleston, SC. One of the nicest campgrounds we've ever been to and plenty to do in the area
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
lat471 wrote:
Something different would be a trip to NY's Finger Lakes. Literally 100's of wineries, lots of microbrew pubs, and beautiful scenery like water falls lakes and beautiful country. Headed there tomorrow for the Finger Lakes Wine festival. It's the area more than the campground I'm going for. Staying at a place called Pine something south of Ithaca. We' never stayed there but I'm sure we'll manage.

Would that be Pine Creek?

If so, lot's of winding 2 lane roads to get to it. We've visited twice in our toad, but decided not to take MH there. It is a nice CG, tho
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
Something different would be a trip to NY's Finger Lakes. Literally 100's of wineries, lots of microbrew pubs, and beautiful scenery like water falls lakes and beautiful country. Headed there tomorrow for the Finger Lakes Wine festival. It's the area more than the campground I'm going for. Staying at a place called Pine something south of Ithaca. We' never stayed there but I'm sure we'll manage.
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Meredith Woods C/G Meredith, NH. Meredith is a darling town on the North Edge of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Danforth Bay, Ossipee, NH. Convenient to N. Conway, NH. and White Mountains. Lots of things to do in Jefferson, Jackson, etc., also.

Plenty in VT. too. There is a county park in Burlington that is Great. Burlington is a really nice town. And is on the north eastern edge of Lake Champlain. Very mountainous area with lots of nice little towns.

Not joking here...go see the Hope Cemetery in Barre, VT. Vermont has a lot of marble/granite quarries. And many little known family marble/granite sculpture artists as a result. The sculptures in that cemetery are AMAZING.

Click Here

The Story Here.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.