cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East Coast Trip

wrushing
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning an extended trip from Alabama over to Savannah, Georgia...then all the way up the East coast to Maine (and possibly Nova Scotia); then back down through New York State, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, etc. Just wondering any of you have made a similar trip, and if so, parks you liked, good highways, or highways to definitely avoid. We will especially be looking for a good way to bypass the New York City/New Jersey area. Appreciate any and all information on routes, RV parks, and attractions. Thanks!!
19 REPLIES 19

Ed-N-Dani
Explorer
Explorer
tjfogelberg wrote:
NY and NJ are must visit states! They're no more congested than anywhere else on the East Coast. The Jersey Shore, Jones Beach SP(Long Island) and Manhattan are a few places I would suggest considering.

If your looking for a relaxing non stressful ride I would recommend avoiding NJ/Manhattan. They both have a lot to offer but we're not friendly drivers and if you try to travel between the hours of 5AM and 9PM plan on sitting in traffic.

JMO

Ed
Please BUY AMERICAN MANUFACTURED PRODUCTS!

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with AdirondacJack on all points. Take 17 north from Savannah. 17 near Fredricksburg is a great way to bypass Washington, Baltimore and NYC. Boston is a beautiful and historic city. Normandy Farms in Foxboro is a nice CG to see it. The Bar Harbor CG in Bar Harbor is very nice, but they don't take reservations. BH is a must see. Shorehills in Boothbay is a good CG. Nova Scotia and the Cabot trail are very scenic. PEI is also scenic.

We loved our trip to Newfoundland, but you need at least one month on the Rock to do it justice.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We took a similar trip a few years ago. We loved Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. We will probably go back in a few years after we make it to some of the many places we have not been to yet. Even in Canada we stayed at many Passport America parks. We always checked the rating at Rvparksreviews.com so all of them were at least an okay place to stay and many were even better. If you have time and money, we also recommend taking the ferry to Newfoundland. We enjoyed it even more than our trip to Alaska.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
NY and NJ are must visit states! They're no more congested than anywhere else on the East Coast. The Jersey Shore, Jones Beach SP(Long Island) and Manhattan are a few places I would suggest considering.

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
We did a New England loop a couple of years back along a good decent with some pretty good campgrounds. (http://www.snowbirdrvtrails.com/orangedot.htm). We avoid the major cities by taking I-95 to US-17 (near Fredericksburg) to I-81 to I-78 to I-287 and then I-87 to I-84 East. US-17 North from Savannah is an interesting route also if you have the time, enjoy Low Country cookin' and small coastal towns.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes