cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite Campground near Smokey Mountains

The_LeRoys
Explorer
Explorer
What is your favorite campground near the smokey mountains? And why?

We're looking for one that has a creek / river nearby that we can tube or raft down. We'd like something with a view of the mountains and waterfront. We'd like something with full hookups. We're staying for a week in June.
Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10
23 REPLIES 23

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Geez, those pictures are making me want to go back now! We weren't planning on it this year.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
My site last spring at Big Meadows in Townsend.

The brown benches behind my yellow T@B are sitting along the creek

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
If you want true commercial type tubing where there is a shuttle to take you back and forth, then Townsend is the only one that fits the bill.

However, if you are willing to walk roughly a quarter a mile within a campground to tube, then look at Riverbend Campground in Pigeon Forge.

Nice big sites, full hookups, all concrete pads/patios, and paved road. It is 1/2 mile off the parkway, but you would never know it. It is very peaceful and has an older crowd that camps there.

Doesn't have a playground, pool, or anything like that, but plenty of area to ride bikes, and the river is mostly in the shade so you can play around in that all day long.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Treemont Outdoor Resorts in Townsend, had a site that backed right up to the river so the kids could go tubing. I would stay there again if we go. Like others have mentioned there are a few CG's right in that area and when I checked them out they all looked pretty nice. We didnt want the traffic and tourist trap stuff.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the Jellystone in Cherokee about 3 times. River/creek runs right through it. We bought some cheap tubes and tubed it over and over with the kids. I'd say it is a good 1/4 mile of tubing. Just get out and hike back to front of park and do it again. Fun!

I've never been but want to check out Deep Creek campground near Cherokee.

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
We had a site right on the river at the KOA in Townsend and would stay there again. We were within an hour of all the hikes and drives that we wanted to do which was great!
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have stayed at Holly Cove which has a great hillside view, not far east of Cherokee at Whittier, NC. A bit further east we have stayed at Creekwood Farm near Waynesville, NC. I would recommend both for consideration.

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone stayed at Cherokee KOA??
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Jellystone in Cosby and X2 Pine mountain RV by the way keep the pesty bear out of my site stole my pick-nick basket again LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
js6343js6343 wrote:
What do folks think of the Cherokee CG's?

I haven't stayed or even checked out any of the campgrounds in Cherokee, but I can say without a doubt that I liked the North Carolina side of the Smokies better than the Tennessee side; prettier mountain views and much less traffic. I also enjoyed the Oconaluftee visitor center in North Carolina better than Sugarlands on the Tennessee side. Oconaluftee had the Museum Farm which which all 5 of us enjoyed more than the entire portion of Cades Cove.

I do have to admit that the Cherokee side of the Smokies is quite run down though. That surprised me.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
The Little River flows parallel to the road through Townsend, and it's wonderful for tubing. There are several tubing rental/shuttle companies along the way (River Rat, River Rage, and Cowboy.) Check with the various companies, as there are faster, more exciting sections and there are very long, peaceful floats.

We have stayed at Big Meadow CG (River Rat Tubing right next door) and the KOA. We enjoyed both places. Big Meadow is a bit stricter rule-wise and does not have fire pits at the sites, but it is very quiet. The CG is actually across a small road from the river, so it isn't what I would call true riverfront, but it is darn close. The KOA FHU sites were very close together, but did have decks at each site. It was a bit noisier there due to more kids, but not bad. Both CG's had nice swimming holes.

Tremont is also very popular, but we have never stayed there (drove through and got brochures and it appeared very nice as well.)

The Townsend area is beautiful and quiet. It is right at the entrance to the park, and close to Cades Cove, etc.. We also like the convenience of Wears Valley Road as a quiet "shortcut" up to Pigeon Forge for when we want to shop or eat at restaurants (although there are several very good restaurants right in Townsend.)

If you want away from the craziness/traffic and want to be close to the rivers, trails, and scenery of the park, then Townsend is perfect.
2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21 DS
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L CTD, 4x4, quad cab

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the Jellystone in Cosby. very nice place! although the creek is small so you can`t tube on it, but it is peaceful. RVPR shows almost all 10`s for ratings, which one of those is mine.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
Teamfour wrote:
Another vote for Townsend.
Same here. We don't like the tourist traffic of Gatlinburg.

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
My favorite is Elkmont, with Cades Cove a very close second. But from reading your post I'm guessing my priorities are different then yours.