cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite COE park in your state

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I was just looking at my Camping with COE book and noticed a park marked that we've never been too so I'm sure I marked it from a recommendation from someone on this forum. This got me to thinking..why not share our favorite COE parks in our home states?? Plese share your's and why it the favorite.

I'll start with Sanders Cove on Pat Mayse Lake. It has pine trees, sites are roomy, and has good fishing (we're told anyway as we're not fishermen). I know once we were there and there was a fishing tournament was going on...That's the only negative we've had about it...The roar of boat motors early in the morning wasn't too enjoyable, but it didn't last long.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
96 REPLIES 96

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
TPUC wrote:
Defeated Creek COE in Middle Tennessee
While I agree with this site we have also added Seven Points in Nashville. 45 min from home. I just do not understand the closing during winter. We camp year round. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingdawgs wrote:
In my home state of Georgia, Petersburg on J. Strom Thurmand Lake in Appling, GA. Other favorites are Seven Points near Nashville, TN and Ortona South in Moore Haven, FL.

Daughter and I stayed at Seven Points in the spring of 2012, and enjoyed our site. If visiting Nashville, that's where I'd prefer to stay.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
In my home state of Georgia, Petersburg on J. Strom Thurmand Lake in Appling, GA. Other favorites are Seven Points near Nashville, TN and Ortona South in Moore Haven, FL.
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

conmoto
Explorer
Explorer
Thomson Causeway, Thomson,Il. Beautiful sunsets over the Mississippi River.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not in my state, but Lillydale CG on Dale Hollow Lake in TN is pretty nice.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else??

cman60
Explorer
Explorer
River Run Park in Forsythe Missouri. Level sites, on the river, 15 miles from Branson.
Every day is a good day to ride, just some better than others.
1997 Fleetwood Flair
Towing either a 24 or 14 ft trailer full of motorcycles

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
missourijan wrote:
We saw a great one close to Hannibal, MO, not sure of the name, huge sites and mostly flat. Not our home state but we also really like Prairie Creek, just outside of Rogers, AR. It's hilly but really pretty, on Beaver Lake, decent sized rig sites are 73 - 79 only. There are other long sites closer to the lake but are on a tight loop or you have to back uphill to get in them. There's another COE there, Horseshoe Bend but it's about 12 miles out of town. We stayed at Dam West in Carlyle, IL this year, nice large sites on the lake with W & E. The spillway has big sites but take no reservations. Not many restaurants in the area but Wal Mart is right down the street.

Dam West at Carlyle Lake is one of our favorites. Matter of fact, we were supposed to be there tonight but it ha
s rained all day so we stayed home. There is a restaurant very close by, and a couple more within a mile. The other side of the lake has a very nice COE campground as well. There are several FHU sites available.

Another favorite is the COE's at Rend Lake near Benton and Sesser, IL. We prefer South Marcum or Gun Creek, but there are 4 to choose from. You can reserve electric only, or FHU.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
Baileys Point in KY. Stuart recreation area in WVa.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
We go or did go alot to Hords Creek near Coleman, TX. Last time we went was last year at Easter. I am sure the lake is very, very low with our drought going on. In all it as a nice park with trees & large sites, only 176 miles from home. Proctor & Benbrook would be my next in line for COE parks in TX.

Sharon

wanda573
Explorer
Explorer
We like to stay at Ray Behrens C.O.E. on Mark Twain Lake about 30 miles from Hannibal.MO. Nice campground with some full hook up sites.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else want to share???

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
fickman wrote:
I don't stay at COE parks. Most of them in Texas gained pretty bad reputations over the years for poor maintenance and bad facilities (we use the showers / restrooms as we don't have one in our popup). I've heard that some have improved, but we haven't been to find out for ourselves. Beyond that, the change in law for National Parks deferring to state and local laws governing CHL rights did not apply to COE parks, which matters to us.

Glad ya'll found one you like!
Just the opposite in VA., the COE CG's are some of the best in the state, very well maintained, clean, with nice sites & great rates, better than most State Parks, NF or NP.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Defeated Creek COE in Middle Tennessee
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't stay at COE parks. Most of them in Texas gained pretty bad reputations over the years for poor maintenance and bad facilities (we use the showers / restrooms as we don't have one in our popup). I've heard that some have improved, but we haven't been to find out for ourselves. Beyond that, the change in law for National Parks deferring to state and local laws governing CHL rights did not apply to COE parks, which matters to us.

Glad ya'll found one you like!
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper