cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite Florida State Park

betsypupcdx
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'd like some opinions on your favorite Florida State Park within a couple of hours drive from the Orlando area.
Our favorite is Gamble Rogers, but it is almost impossible to get a reservation.
We love the Florida parks and especially the 50% resident senior discount.

Linda
Tye & Linda
Ch Shana's Bbonded-N-Insured UDX VER RA aka "Brinks"
Sketchbook Four the Record CD BN RN aka "Ali"
(standard schnauzers)
25 REPLIES 25

GTO66
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the original poster I also enjoy gamble rogers as well as any parks in the keys or the panhandle. Gamble is a little easier now that they added the riverside campground.From my side of the state its about a three hour drive,but ft Desoto is only is only 25 miles.

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
No one mentioned the very popular Fort Desoto. Though not a state park, but close enough. Will take you about 2.5 hours (no traffic) to Orlando. Our favorite for sure and one of the very few campgrounds you can fish or kayak from your campsite (if you can get a water site) our favorite
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
2X on Manatee Springs...

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rainbow Springs, but before they open the tubing. it is a zoo after they open it.

jack L
Jack & Nanci

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Silver River State Park in Ocala in my mind would be the top choice in your travel range, great place.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
Ocala National Forest Salt springs or Alexander springs
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
Mine used to be St. George. I cannot even count the number of times my family has camped there. Last year the campground was overran by large Diamondback Rattlesnakes. One was caught and "relocated" from my site. One of my neighbors got in trouble for killing one that was after his dog. I doubt that we will be going back there again.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Hart Springs County Park Campground on the Suwannee
Hart Springs

Rainbow Springs State Park on the Rainbow River near Dunnellon.

Both are full hookups and located along the Crystal Clear Springs, Real Florida.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have visited 68 Florida state parks and they were all unique and had something to offer. I had hoped to visit all 160+ but most likely will never make all of them.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
As some others have said not in the Orlando area but the panhandle our favorites are Big Lagoon , Rocky Bayou and Grayton Beach. This July we will be visiting Manatee Springs and Florida Caverns.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really like Manatee Hammock. It is county ran.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Not the Orlando Area, the panhandle, we've stayed at 4 State Parks in the last 2 years and enjoyed all of them. Each one was different, unique in it's own way, and we simply loved each one. St. Joseph Peninsula, Falling Waters, St Andrews, and Florida Caverns.

Yeah but they are a lot more than 4 hours from Lady Lake

Dunnellon, Rainbow Springs, Crystal River. Several real nice State Park CG's all within 45+ minutes of Lady Lake! The deep crystal blue springs and rivers are just spectacular.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/interactive-map

There is supposed to be one of the largest oldest tree in the Goethe National forest in Levy county. I still want to get there to see that this year. They suggest to go during the winter months to avoid the bugs because it's way off the trail. :W

Permitted camping allowed at Goethe Levy County and there are 2 or 3 CG's just outside the National Forest.
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Florida-Forest-Service/Our-Forests/State-Forests/G...

All within an hour of Lady Lake!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Ichetucknee Springs State Park. Good RV parks nearby, excellent tubing, and good boiled peanuts! ๐Ÿ™‚

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
Hillsborough River is nice as well.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M