cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February Camping From Long Island?

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions on where to camp in February for school winter break? We’re coming from Long Island and we are not skiers. 4 adults in their 40’s and two boys in 5th and 7th grade. I would think about 5 hours MAX from NYC.
15 REPLIES 15

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The already mentioned Otter Lake just into PA off I-80. Indoor pool, sauna, hot tubs. Not sure what else is open during the winter. http://www.otterlake.com
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
There are very few campgrounds open in the Northeast in Nov-Mar, but they do exist. I don't necessarily recommend camping in such cold weather but there are places to do so if you are determined.

As somebody who does enjoy the challenge (and lack of crowds) of off-season camping, it REALLY REALLY REALLY bugs me that campgrounds don't generally list their seasons anywhere on the websites. So I have to call dozens of campgrounds to find one. I complain to them about this and they generally respond with something really lame like "It's not the same date every year so we won't do that".
David Kojen

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Virginia has several state parks open year round. Four parks with developed campgrounds have full service camping available. Visit Shenandoah River, Douthat, Hungry Mother and Pocohantas. We stayed at the Shenandoah River and Pocohantas. Both are nice and both have hookups.We stayed at the first one over Christmas one year.

With kids in 5th and 7th grade, your gonna need to get to warmer weather for them to be able to do a lot outside... Like stated above, I spend 4 or 5 trips a year to the Delmarva beaches and would NOT want to be there in Feb. Most if not all attractions will be closed, and the cold wind will be whipping up any boardwalk...

If it were me, I would tough it out a few more hours and make it to DC for indoor stuff...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Busskipper wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
5 hours puts you in Ocean City, MD or Washington, DC. Neither place will have much going on in February. Better bet would be a cruise out of NYC.

Funny - I was going to make those two Suggestions - maybe add Rehoboth Beach - all are Fun and Have a LOT GOING ON.

DC is never boring - in a lifetime of living near and visiting often we still go and still enjoy and Discover.

The Beach has become a year round destination - lot fewer people but you will still likely need reservations to get a Campsite - I'd look at Indian River Inlet in Delaware - right across from the Beach and close to both Rehobothe and OC - 🙂

We all see things differently - if you want to go go go DC might work if you want to sit back relax and maybe catch a good meal the Beach would work.

Best of luck, let us know what you decide.

I don't think you'll need a reservation in February. February is still very much winter in the Delmarva. Going to the Delmarva beaches is not my idea of fun in Feb. lots of attractions are closed
The DC attractions still go on but most of those are indoors anyway.
Spend a few more hours driving and the OP can make it to luke warm temps.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
5 hours puts you in Ocean City, MD or Washington, DC. Neither place will have much going on in February. Better bet would be a cruise out of NYC.

Funny - I was going to make those two Suggestions - maybe add Rehoboth Beach - all are Fun and Have a LOT GOING ON.

DC is never boring - in a lifetime of living near and visiting often we still go and still enjoy and Discover.

The Beach has become a year round destination - lot fewer people but you will still likely need reservations to get a Campsite - I'd look at Indian River Inlet in Delaware - right across from the Beach and close to both Rehobothe and OC - 🙂

We all see things differently - if you want to go go go DC might work if you want to sit back relax and maybe catch a good meal the Beach would work.

Best of luck, let us know what you decide.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

spud1957 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Just thought of somewhere...

Here - Normandy Farms

Indoor pool, nice place to stay to visit the Boston area... That is if you like site seeing in possible sub zero conditions.:B

They are closed December to March.

HUH... I thought they were open year round? Oh well, scratch them off the list ..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

Here - Normandy Farms

Indoor pool, nice place to stay to visit the Boston area... That is if you like site seeing in possible sub zero conditions.:B

They are closed December to March.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Here - Normandy Farms

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking to get away from the cold? If not, Otter Lake in the Poconos is open year round.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I would think you'd want to make it to warmer weather. You need to get to South Carolina at least. Myrtle Beach would be my choice. Anywhere North of NC you will be dealing with questionable weather.
Outer Banks NC or VA beach could be an option but again it maybe very cold.
Either way I think you need to extend your drive time to make it to warm weather.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd head south, at least as far as Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA or further south to St. Mary's, GA which is near Cumberland Island. If my memory serves me correctly, there is a nice state park near St. Mary's and it's convenient to taking the ferry service to Cumberland Island, which is an interesting place! I realize that these areas are probably in excess of 5 hours, but in February, the weather can be real dicey anywhere north of those locations.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Aces High in CT is open year around.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)