cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Find Campground on Specific Route/Highway?

mamalisa08
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! We're taking a road trip this summer from the Bay Area of California to the Albuquerque area for a family reunion. I'm hoping to find a campground approximately halfway in between for us to spend a night. I can't find a website that allows me to do this, i.e. search by route. Anyone have any tips? I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right place. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
mamalisa08 wrote:
Hi all! We're taking a road trip this summer from the Bay Area of California to the Albuquerque area for a family reunion. I'm hoping to find a campground approximately halfway in between for us to spend a night. I can't find a website that allows me to do this, i.e. search by route. Anyone have any tips? I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right place. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks!

When researching particular routes I use RV Park Reviews Simply click on a state and magnify in or out to find the rv parks/campgrounds that interests you. All rv parks/campgrounds are directly linked to reviews which makes a useful tool when planning trips.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mamalisa, I found that when travelling with children in a car, we could seldom manage more than an average of 60 miles an hour, even though we were going 75, due to the inevitable bathroom stops. So that is 18 hours of driving, not counting the stops and meals, for a 1,100 mile drive. And if you are towing a trailer, with a top speed in the low 60s, you would have to add much more time.

My advice would be to break it up into three days. Don't do what I did -- I forced the kids to sit for long periods of time, and they somehow developed the idea that they did not like long car trips.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Epgsoft is another

A quick look at this and it's missing a lot of long established CGs that we've been to.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
mamalisa08 wrote:
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

You're right, it's about 1,055 miles for us. We would take the I 40 route. I did the math and figured it would be two eight hour days of driving but that probably isn't realistic, especially in an RV. I may need to rethink this... ๐Ÿ˜•
I have traveled from WV to TX and it was 1100 miles. I did it in 2 days ONCE with the RV. Never again. I always take three days now.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

mamalisa08
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

You're right, it's about 1,055 miles for us. We would take the I 40 route. I did the math and figured it would be two eight hour days of driving but that probably isn't realistic, especially in an RV. I may need to rethink this... ๐Ÿ˜•

mamalisa08
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
I used Google Maps to get this information:

You didn't give a starting city so I chose Oakland, CA. You also didn't give the route you wanted to take but this is the shortest. It's approx. 1100 miles total and doing it with only one night stay is much too long in a RV.

Oakland to Barstow, CA via I-5 south to I-40 east = 402 miles

Barstow to Flagstaff, AZ via I-40 = 360 miles

Flagstaff, AZ to Albuquerque via I-40 = 325 miles

From your other posts it appears you have 4 small children. I wouldn't plan any more hours in a vehicle than the above two stops. The route is very boring. It's always good to get into a campground by late afternoon so you all have time to wind down - go for a walk - go to the pool (highly recommended for the kids to work off energy and a good night's sleep for everyone).

Flagstaff temperatures in summer will be very pleasant. The other places will be very hot in summer.

Have a good trip.

Thanks, this is great input!

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
RV Parky is a great app to use when on the road.It has a trip planner.

Use it to plan or when on the road it will tell you what is near you.

This is what I use.
pawatt

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allstays is the most up to date and complete site that lists cgs by type, eg national, state parks; private cgs; city cgs, etc. click on the state and go from there.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I used Google Maps to get this information:

You didn't give a starting city so I chose Oakland, CA. You also didn't give the route you wanted to take but this is the shortest. It's approx. 1100 miles total and doing it with only one night stay is much too long in a RV.

Oakland to Barstow, CA via I-5 south to I-40 east = 402 miles

Barstow to Flagstaff, AZ via I-40 = 360 miles

Flagstaff, AZ to Albuquerque via I-40 = 325 miles

From your other posts it appears you have 4 small children. I wouldn't plan any more hours in a vehicle than the above two stops. The route is very boring. It's always good to get into a campground by late afternoon so you all have time to wind down - go for a walk - go to the pool (highly recommended for the kids to work off energy and a good night's sleep for everyone).

Flagstaff temperatures in summer will be very pleasant. The other places will be very hot in summer.

Have a good trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
That's about 1100 miles -- are you planning to do that in two days? It can be done, but it won't be easy. What kind of a rig do you have?

X1, This is a min. of 3 day trip each way if you are in an RV. In just a car if you average 75mph you might make it in 2 days but it will be a marathon:(

Barstow is probably about 1/2 way but not many RV parks there. After Barstow, it is pretty much nothing but desert until you get to Prescott. If I had to get to new Mexico in that short of time, I would fly:) and ejoy the trip.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
That's about 1100 miles -- are you planning to do that in two days? It can be done, but it won't be easy. What kind of a rig do you have?

X1, This is a min. of 3 day trip each way if you are in an RV. In just a car if you average 75mph you might make it in 2 days but it will be a marathon:(

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
mamalisa08 wrote:

Go to Good Sam Trip planner.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Parky is a great app to use when on the road.It has a trip planner.

Use it to plan or when on the road it will tell you what is near you.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could try this website US campgrounds info

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker