cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FL Panhandle Campground Suggestions Wanted

JuneHallowell
Explorer
Explorer
I am in search of suggestions for an exceptional campground In the panhandle area of FL. A close (walking distance), fantastic beach and hopefully a nice swimming pool would be on our list of wants. We have four children and a beach that is far away or that we need to tram/drive to does not work well for us. Open to state parks or privately owned campgrounds. Thank you and advance for your suggestions ๐Ÿ™‚ Open to any suggestions accross the panhandle.
20 REPLIES 20

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Fam Camp in Panama City near Tyndell base is nice if you are retired Military or have a relative that can get you in. Camped there several years ago and it is really nice. Things for kids to do such as putt-putt golf, horseshoes ect.

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Carrabelle Beach RV Resort, Carrabelle, FL in February 2012 for a month. Except for the chilly, rainy weather (not their fault), it's an exceptional spot. A lovely, dog friendly beach right across the street from the resort; a nice pool; beautifully landscaped and helpful staff. Check it out on rvparkreviews.com - it gets very high marks.

chrisbailey13
Explorer
Explorer
Panama City Beach Resort is nice, so is Campers' Inn in Panama City Beach, they are down the street from each other, and both are across the street from the Beach. Campers' Inn is a Good Sam resort.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Joatha wrote:
littlemo wrote:
this one.

Be sure to eat at Peg Leg Pete's!

That's a good call. Its only about a 200 yard walk to the beach from the A loop. I can't speak to the other loops as I've never stayed in them.

Oh...and Peg Leg Pete's isn't very good IMO.

Maybe it's the Margarita that makes me THINK it's good! LOL
Just kidding. I really like the food.

Heres
something to do that is awesome. Its over on the Mainland but totally worth it!
Blue angels Naval Aviation Museum

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Camp Gulf in Destin. There are sites directly on the beach, but you can't have a pet, and they don't have sewer. There's a dump truck that comes by for a fee. There are other sites not directly on the beach, and these have FHU and are pet friendly. Pricey, but nice.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Chiefcpo wrote:
Check out Camp on the Gulf or Camp Gulf (listed both ways) in Destin Fl. they have weekly and monthly rates. Thr CG is on the beach, nice and close to shopping. Did I say it is on the BEACH. no crosing streets or boardwalks.
Already have my spot for Sept. 2015. for the month. There ie three tier pricing on sites depends on where you can get a spot.

I recently learned of this place and it's definitely on my bucket list to camp directly on the beach. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We first stayed at Fort Pickens in 1962 when it was a state park. We were tent campers then. Since then we have been back so many time I can't keep track. I can say almost exactly the same thing about St. Andrews State Park at Panama City.

At our stage of life there is little to prefer one above the other, but with children (especially teens or pre-teens) St. Andrews might be the better choice because there are all kinds of "beach attractions" just a few miles away. At Fort Pickens there is a nine mile drive just to get back to Pensacola Beach.

These beaches from Gulf Shores, AL to Panama City, FL are among the best beaches in the entire world in my opinion.

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:
this one.

Be sure to eat at Peg Leg Pete's!

That's a good call. Its only about a 200 yard walk to the beach from the A loop. I can't speak to the other loops as I've never stayed in them.

Oh...and Peg Leg Pete's isn't very good IMO.
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Camp on the Gulf or Camp Gulf (listed both ways) in Destin Fl. they have weekly and monthly rates. Thr CG is on the beach, nice and close to shopping. Did I say it is on the BEACH. no crosing streets or boardwalks.
Already have my spot for Sept. 2015. for the month. There ie three tier pricing on sites depends on where you can get a spot.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing to do at St Joe except the beach to swim or fish and st joes bay to fish and collect shells and things or just hang around the campground. Just like someone else said make sure you have plenty of bug spray and groceries it is a little bit of a ride to a grocery store

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
OP, the question you asked about St Joe, is answered BOTH... there is no pool... and there is nothing to do on the Peninsula other than the beach.. last time I was there, there were a couple of very small restaurants and stores.. everything else is the state park and beach houses... absolutely nothing to do but hang at the beach or in the campground and relax. be sure you carry lots of bug spray, especially if you end up in the wooded campground.. the mosquitoes can be very vicious.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

wski
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get into the military campgrounds, Blue angel or Oak Grove are nice parks.

JuneHallowell
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Henderson and it seemed like the beach was not very close to the campsites and really packed because anyone could come in and use it. We have been to top sail and it is very nice but would really like to find something with the closer beach (These kids have to many toys lol).

Question, when you say the only thing to do at St. Joe is the beach are you referring to the fact that there Is not a pool or that the Area is not really populated like Dustin were Panama City?

Looking into the Perdido Key suggestion :-).

We are not interested in minigolf, shopping etc. and are fine just staying in the campsite the entire time. We stayed at camping on the golf a couple of years ago in the beach there was insanely crowded and small.

Loving the suggestions ๐Ÿ™‚

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Panama City Beach RV Resort is first rate, but not cheap.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010