cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Help!!!!

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! We are wanting to take our first ever winter get away this coming February from Ohio to Florida! Wanting at least 70 degrees I ended up picking mid February and middle coastal Florida. Now for your help!

Is this time frame and area realistic for at least averaging 70 degrees or better?

What mid Florida campgrounds are recommended that are right on the ocean, east coast or gulf?

Traveling in a 32' MH with tow. Prefer to stay at state parks but would do private if the sites are not on top of each other! :E

Help please!!

Thank you!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
19 REPLIES 19

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Sept 1st I filled the last open week in our three month Florida reservations from mid-January to April. That was at a National Park Service campground in the Everglades that opens the reservation window at 10:00am 6 months out. All of our Florida state park reservations were made at 8:00am when the window opened 11 months out, usually before we left Florida last spring. In almost every case, the park RV sites were completely booked within a few minutes of the reservation window opening for the dates we wanted.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
Last year was very warm for NW Florida, almost everyday was 70 or above for daily highs. Look at the post that showed the actual temps for last year in Destin. I prefer Northern Florida better than Southern Florida, better seafood and nicer people:)

But you never know, this year might be colder, it varies year to year.

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
Christmas RV Park may have some sites left. The longer you stay, the cheaper the rates. Christmas is between Titusville and Orlando. It's about 35 minutes from Cape Canaveral National Seashore, which is beautiful! Other area attractions include Cocoa Beach (35 miles), numerous restaurants (including our favorite, Victorio's), bicycle paths, huge flea markets, etc. The RV park has a heated pool (open when outdoor temps are above 70) and all sorts of activities. Daytona is an hour northeast -- you can tour the raceway. There are several historic lighthouses you can visit. St. Augustine is a day trip -- less than a two hour drive. There you can visit the Fountain of Youth (yucky sulphur water, but a neat place), Fort Matanzaro, Castillo de San Marcos, etc. Another day trip is Clearwater Beach. On the way there we stopped at the Russell Stover Chocolate outlet.

As for temperatures, February 2017 was beautiful! Every single day was between 70 and 86 degrees. Nights are cool, and the RV cools down nicely for sleeping. Lots of sunshine and gorgeous days. On the flip side, the winter of 2016 was not as nice.

We love the area and this will be our third winter there! Come on down!
Cardinal 33TSLE

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We were up in the panhandle 2 winters ago in Feb and it was not averaging above 70. The conventional wisdom is "south of I-4". The problem is that snowbirders make reservation for next year when they leave this year. Unless there' a cancellation and you happen to call right after, it's tough to find a spot that isn't $100 a night.

John Prince Park in Lake Worth doesn't allow reservations more than 120 days in advance (not exactly sure of the time period, but it's something like that). You may have time to snag a spot there. We stayed a couple of weeks in November and it is a nice park. The area around it is congested and there's a general aviation airport next door (a plus for me), but the place is pretty big and the premium sites aren't all jammed together.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
As I always say when someone posts about a desire for a certain temp. 50 or 60 degrees is still better than the 10 degrees you're fleeing. In fact I live in SWFL, I head to the northern part of the state to flee the mass exodus of people from up north. With Irma looming in the Atlantic, you may not have a choice where you go in Florida because the devastation that is possible wherever it hits, will limit your possibilities even more.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
To get a state park reservation in South Florida in February, you need to book on line, 12 months in advance at 8 AM in the morning. And you still have to be lucky.
Low Country SC
2009 Keystone Passport 195RB
2014 F150 SCAB

VeroWing
Explorer
Explorer
Future temperatures are always going to be a tossup. Check out Anastasia State park in St Augustine. Beautiful natural park and beach, with many nearby historic places to visit in America's oldest city.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Louisa is in central FL west of Orlando, you could probably get 2 weeks there and 2 weeks somewhere else, normal Feb temp there is low 70's but last year was 80's we had a very warm winter.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
floridacamper wrote:
...seafood at Mikes Place. He's from Florida by the way.

I won't hold that against him but I refuse to stand in line to order, but I will call in a takeout and then sit down and eat it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to www.weather.com and type in any city in the US to get the temperature averages for the year. As examples Miami, Orlando and Sarasota have averages above 70 degrees. However, February seems to be the most popular month for Snowbirds and it might be a challenge getting reservations.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ivylog wrote:
He means you are to late for finding a CG on or near the ocean below I-4. Try Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral. Good Luck you'll need it.

I was just over in Blairsville the other day, had some seafood at Mikes Place. He's from Florida by the way.

Loving God's Country! wrote:
Floridacamper, what do you mean "You're too late for that"? ๐Ÿ™‚
Finding a place south of Orlando or Tampa for February. Most are all filled with snowbirds

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We were in FL last Feb and found great weather wherever we went. Mostly we were in Tampa area.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
He means you are to late for finding a CG on or near the ocean below I-4. Try Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral. Good Luck you'll need it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...