cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those going to see Eclipse

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interactive map, in which one can zoom in for excellent details of the ground, in order to find a viewing spot.

Caveat: Those wanting RV parking/camping may be having trouble, as I hear that reservations have been filled up for months for this particular event, and those having vacancies want a 5-day reservation in some places.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
45 REPLIES 45

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
fanrgs wrote:
A group of astronomers in Denver have filled 17, 55-passenger buses for a one-day trip to Wyoming to view the eclipse!

I was going to head to Casper from California to watch it, but then I saw they are also expecting a few hundred thousand people.

I saw on the local news last night Casper hotels are charging $1100 per night and are 98% booked. One would have to be nuts.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaReLoaded wrote:
I'll be around Robbinsville NC and Andrews NC. Prime spots and the campgrounds and hotels have had a waiting list for over a year now I've been told by some. Its crazy!!!

We'll be about half way between Robinsville and Tellico Plains.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be around Robbinsville NC and Andrews NC. Prime spots and the campgrounds and hotels have had a waiting list for over a year now I've been told by some. Its crazy!!!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll be in Idaho. But if there are cloudy skies, we will just stay put, because the roads will be jammed with folks chasing a hole in the clouds.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
A group of astronomers in Denver have filled 17, 55-passenger buses for a one-day trip to Wyoming to view the eclipse!

I was going to head to Casper from California to watch it, but then I saw they are also expecting a few hundred thousand people.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have my campground booked but I'm prepared to drive 500 more miles for clear skies if necessary.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
there are some really sweet spots in So ILL, Golconda, Dixon Springs, sitting in the middle of (Cedar Lake) in a boat would be cool, Lake Glendale (Oak Point CG) would be awesome.

just to name a few in the Shawnee National Forest that are right in the middle of the "zone"
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Floridafrances
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to a quick response to a PM I sent to Deb (of David and Deb, above), Tom and I will be dry camping in that same hay field in Beatrice, Nebraska. They still have space available. It's $30 a night with a 2 night minimum, but still a bargain. Worth more than that to us to know we have a place to park the RV when we get up there.

Now we all have to hope the skies are clear, wherever we are.
Frances & Tom with 3 rescue cats - Peaches, Snippet,and BP. And in spirit Aja (Dec 2014) and Tipper (Oct 2016).
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
2008 4 door Hardtop Wrangler Unlimited 4X4

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
On my third try, I managed to get a site in Nashville. It was a cancellation. Won't have to move unless the weather is bad.

The first place I called laughed and said they'd been booked up for 18 months.

We'll be roughing it though - was only able to get a 30A site ๐Ÿ™‚

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
I'm flying to Kansas City and renting a car, then plan to be on the centerline on a country road. Any advice?
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I had been planning on going and seeing it for years. But after reading the reports of the potential crowds, I decided it's not worth it. Being in California, the places to see it that are easy to drive to are not population centers and don't have the roads to handle tens of thousands of cars. I can see the potential for it to be a madhouse, so we'll being doing a week at Lake Tahoe instead.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so pumped about this event! Been working on it as a surprise for my hubby's birthday and can't wait for the big reveal in a few days. I'm one of those staying in a hayfield ($30/night) in Nebraska with several other dry campers. NASA scientists are staying in the farmhouse next to the hayfield, we have exclusive rights to view the eclipse on another part of their their property which is 1/4 mile from the centerline, we will be less than 10 miles from Homestead Monument where NASA has events from August 18-21 and much more. It'll be hot, dry, and crazy and it can't get here quick enough!
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Made my reservations back in November (location not disclosed) and DW always makes sure the chuck wagon is stuffed with food!

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
10's of 1,000's of eclipse worshipers from other countries are coming here to view it too! Just crazy.

In some towns especially the towns near what is deemed the "best" spot to view it.....they have issued emergency warnings to residents to fill up on food, water and gas before the eclipse because of the huge influx of people expected to descend to view the eclipse which will be apocalyptic!

Perhaps the second coming of Woodstock revisited?!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.