cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forwarding Mail/Snowbird

krinkle
Explorer
Explorer
We will be gone for 3 months. We would like others solution to what is the best way to have mail forwarded.
19 REPLIES 19

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
All our bills are paid by pre-authorized bank withdrawals or on-line, so we don't expect problems. Being Canadian we can't get a US postal box without a house deed (which we obviously don't carry with us!). We can't receive USPS mail here at the RV resort.

Our worry is unexpected "brown envelopes" for stuff like jury duty or the income tax folks, we ask our house checker (who receives our mail) to mail these to our daughter who scans and E-mails them to us. We started doing this after we received a letter from the tax folks during a previous winter reassessing our previous return. Turns out it was an error on their part but it cost us some interest money because we couldn't respond in a timely manner.

roaminaround
Explorer
Explorer
This is our 1st year using myrvmail.com. Great service and you can change your forwarding address easily as you move. Great folks to deal with. Just remember to file your USPS forwarding notice a week or so before you leave town.
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel
2006 Fish Rite 18' Yamaha 115 and T8

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
This past summer we were gone for 4 months. We had our mail forwarded to my parents who live a couple minutes drive from our campground. Although most of our utilities send electronic statements, the local water company does not. After 2 months of not getting a water bill, I called the Post Office. They told me that I had to file a forwarding notice for any variation of my name. I told the phone rep. that I choose forward for whole house option. She said it didn't matter. The mail carrier was looking to forward mail for "Girardo", so if the second name on the address line isn't "Girardo", it won't be forwarded.

The local water company sends bills to "Girardo, Michael" not Michael Girardo. So they weren't forwarded. The kicker, my wife received a piece of junk mail addressed to her Maiden name. The mail carrier wrote on the letter "Girardo" and it got forwarded!

Not sure what we are going to do this year. We have used the Premium Hold Service from USPS on shorter trips, where they collect the mail for a week and then send it Priority Mail to an address that we specify. That worked great, but they charge $15 every time they send out the mail. Doing that for 4 months will be expensive.

As a free lance web developer, my customers send me checks for invoices, so I need my mail ๐Ÿ™‚

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
northshore wrote:
We found the USPS to be a pain, at the very least it wasn't user friendly. USPS we found to be dependent on who you talked to, one post office was easy to work with another wouldn't give the time of day. We finally went to "Americas MailBox" haven't looked back, easy to use and never a problem with getting your mail when you want and where you want. Look them up and check it out, we have been using them for about 6 years

USPS, Did it all on line. Very easy!
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
We found the USPS to be a pain, at the very least it wasn't user friendly. USPS we found to be dependent on who you talked to, one post office was easy to work with another wouldn't give the time of day. We finally went to "Americas MailBox" haven't looked back, easy to use and never a problem with getting your mail when you want and where you want. Look them up and check it out, we have been using them for about 6 years

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Snowbirds forum from 5th Wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
"*laughing* Well I'm glad to know the problems I had with mail forwarding all came down to my inability to read and understand the instructions associated with the service. "

We had some problems the first year we used it .We asked questions. We went to a post office and asked the postmaster to help us fill out the paperwork. We initially filled out the forms exactly as instructed (so we thought) but after asking a few questions it turned out we did not fully understand the instructions.After that ......no problems since.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We also tried the post office and it didn't work. UPS gets good reviews. You can set up a PO Box with them to forward your mail to, and then have UPS forward it when you call them. We have found the UPS Stores to be very helpful for packages. We have our daughter forward our mail using prepaid USPS envelopes. We either have it forwarded to our actual location or to a post office that has hold mail (general delivery) services.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
richfaa wrote:
USPS temp change of address been using it for 10 years and never a problem. One has to read and understand how to use the service .Once you understand how it works there will be no problem.

*laughing* Well I'm glad to know the problems I had with mail forwarding all came down to my inability to read and understand the instructions associated with the service.

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I can't imagine having to design a trip around the location of post offices.

+1
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't imagine having to design a trip around the location of post offices.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
This may not work for some but we tell the post office to hold our mail. We pay bills on line and don't worry about the mail. We are never gone for more then 3 months. When we "get away" we are gone, and there isn't much in the mail except bills anyway.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Escapees Mail Service, when on the road I have the USPS temporarily forward all mail from my house to them, and call Escapees when ever and where ever I want my mail sent. Works great and doesn't inconvenience anyone.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
USPS temp change of address been using it for 10 years and never a problem. One has to read and understand how to use the service .Once you understand how it works there will be no problem.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L