cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

get out of the heat

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All - I hope you are enjoying the summer.

My wife and I recently returned from a 3 week trip from our home in DFW to Memphis, Gatlinburg, North Georgia, Destin, then back to DFW. My wife and I worked off and on with a few days of vacation along the way.

Long story short, we loved it. We have stayed in our rig for 8 weeks during a home renovation, so these two examples are the two longest examples of time spent in the rig.

Now we are considering heading out for the summer. Since the Texas heat is here, and it doesn't really matter where we are, we are thinking that now is a great time to maybe head to the Northwest, or the Northeast.

So, for those of you who full time, where do you go in the summer?

I need to be reasonably close to an airport (maybe 90 minutes or so), need to be in reasonably populated areas so we can maintain our workout regimen, etc. but those are truly our only requirements.

I expect I would drive on the weekends for the first couple of weeks until we got where we wanted to be, then stay put for a while and explore.

Where would you guys go?

Thanks for your suggestions.
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
33 REPLIES 33

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nova Scotia. Heaters on tonight. The AC has only been on once, & very briefly at that, this year. Another day of lower 60s tomorrow.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the UP of Michigan - gorgeous. I went to grad school up there - "summer" if you want to call it that lasts about a month.

I'll also suggest northern New York, Vermont and New Hampshire (such as the Mt. Washington area). Maine - yes.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
CLOSE TO AIRPORTS:

Western coast of California, Oregon, Washington.
Arizona? Flagstaff or Show Low/Pinetop areas
New Mexico? Santa Fe
Colorado? Durango
Utah? Heber
Wyoming? Jackson
Montana? Bozeman, Missoula
Idaho? Coeur d'Alene
Michigan? Traverse City
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anywhere in the Upper Great Lakes region.
As others have said, the UP of Michigan, Northern Wisconsin, Northern Minnesota. If you are near Lake Superior, it is generally quite cool, even on hot days when it is 80 or 90 degrees 15 miles inland from the lake. (And 80 and 90 degree days are hot days in this area).

There are lots of State Parks, National Forests, and some National Lakeshores in this area. Most do not have full hookups and only some have electricity, but we've had our current TT for 5 years and have never had to fire up the air conditioner yet.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to be reasonably close to an airport (maybe 90 minutes or so), need to be in reasonably populated areas so we can maintain our workout regimen, etc. but those are truly our only requirements.

Presumably, you're referring to an airport with commercial flights? Some of the places mentioned may be close to airports, but are commercial flights readily available?

Define "reasonably populated" and to maintain your workout regimen. Does this mean you're looking for places in close proximity to a gym? Hiking/biking trails? Your own carry along equipment?

Also, if you're talking about heading out this year, you may be hard pressed to find a place to stay long term. Several folks have mentioned Estes Park. Most every place in Estes Park is completely or near completely booked on weekends; week days there are available sites, but from reading your post, you're looking for something longer term. Not likely to find anything in the Estes Park area that would work for you. It meets the other criteria ("reasonably populated" 5000 or so, growing to several times that on the weekends, lots of outdoor activities, gyms in the area).
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Am here in DFW. HOTHOT. SOON AS THE SLIDE IS REPAIRED we will be heading to Montana.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
No one has mentioned Yellowstone / Montana / Idaho yet. Airport availability may vary...
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
New England! Coastal Maine is beautiful! We love the Portland area - airport easy to get in and out of. Nice small states - you can get to Boston in about 2 hours.

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
We spend a month in Colorado at lake Valecito Rv resort and have been for the past 5 yrs. it's between Bayfield and Durango. Huge lake and lots of trees. A great campground. I know one of our friends goes into Durango 3 times s week to swim and workout. Look them up! It's hot here in El Paso! 109 yesterday!

Bruce

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Try Central New York. Finger Lakes, Wine Country, Thousand Islands and Adirondacks. Not far from airports in Rochester, Syracuse, or Albany. We only occasionally run the AC in our 5er. If you need further details, PM me.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Will be heading to Ennis, Mt. As soon we get our passenger side slide fixed.
Hopefully around the sixth or seventh of July. Will be our fourth year.
Small town, nice amp ground on the north side off 287.

TheSidwells
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider Southern Colorado Pagosa Springs area, 90 minutes from Sante Fe and can get some great hiking in the mountains..

Currently just out of St Paul, MN and getting ready to head north east from there...
The Sidwell's

Live like no tomorrow, plan like there is....

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have not run the A/C yet this year. In fact today is the very first day that we have seen the temp over 70. Last night it was down in the 40s.

Where are we? Well, last week we were looking at icebergs up close. Newfoundland is nice this time of year.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
It's gonna be another nice day here in Quartzsite, AZ., it's only supposed to be 110 degrees today, but it's a dry heat.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

Quartzsite 110 ? Cold front must have moved in ๐Ÿ™‚ It was 118 here in Mesa AZ yesterday (8/19) Already 100 at 9:00 AM. shoulda gone to the Northwest. but.....
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06