cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier National Park

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me if the park is open or closed? Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy Waterton, and do go up to Banff, weather permitting.

I wonder if the cruise to Goat Haunt is still running from Waterton, since Goat Haunt is in Glacier
Visted via RV

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jgrimes is spot on. After the big Labor Day weekend in Dillon, MT. on Tuesday we want our butts somewhere on the south side of Monida Pass. Several years ago on Labor Day morning going from Clark Canyon Dam just south of Dillon on I-15 into Dillon for the parade and breakfast at the fire dept, it was flurrying and just nasty. Tuesday AM. we were south bound!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
So glad you were able to do that Renee but not everyone would treat the parks as true treasures. They are not going to risk vandalism and that's what would happen.

Here's an article on a recent incident that came to mind and this goes on all the time in national parks. Most people have no idea of what some people will do. (I couldn't get to the national park site regarding this because it's closed down. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Joshua Tree Vandalism
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Just wondering why shut down the parks? why couldn`t you just drive through and not stop at places that would be staffed? just like them putting up barricades around the war memorial in Washington? why couldn`t you still just walk it like always!

Do you really think people would 'just drive thru'?

They don't want any people in the parks unless they're full staffed because there are people who really don't give a rip about 'protecting' the parks.

We have volunteered in the parks and you would not believe what people do to our wonderful parks - even when there is staff.

Interesting that you say this because on September 11, 2001, we were camped near Mt. Rushmore and had already toured it but we headed out that day to return home. On our way back, we wanted to see Little Bighorn Battlefield. The NPS ranger greeted us at the gate. He said we were welcome to go through but everything else was closed. We did just that, taking our time to view the battlefield.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Just wondering why shut down the parks? why couldn`t you just drive through and not stop at places that would be staffed? just like them putting up barricades around the war memorial in Washington? why couldn`t you still just walk it like always!

Shhh, we aren't permitted to say why. PM me and I'll tell you. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Do you really think people would 'just drive thru'?

They don't want any people in the parks unless they're full staffed because there are people who really don't give a rip about 'protecting' the parks.

We have volunteered in the parks and you would not believe what people do to our wonderful parks - even when there is staff.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jgrimes
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind winter storms are now very possible here and further north. So, keep that in mind. Dillon MT got 5 inches of snow today. Low tonight in Kalispell MT is 25. I'd suggest heading south....

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
SWD wrote:
Lauren wrote:
Waterton is a nice alternative but it is NOT Glacier.

When given lemons, you make lemonade!

Good for you! While you're at, head on up to Banff, Jasper, and other Canadian Parks - heck give them your time and money. Don't let those shut downs stop you. Go all the way!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy .......... one word answer to your question. Politics.

(I won't go any further with that!)
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
SWD - you are right! God bless you for your attitude!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:

When given lemons, you make lemonade!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax