cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier NP red bus tours

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has gone on one of these tours ( there are a few different ones to choose) and which you chose and if you liked it. I see there is one that is almost 9 hours long. ( too long for us) we were thinking about the "west alpine tour" which is only 4 hours
Proud father of a US Marine
15 REPLIES 15

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Mountain Majesty Tour. 6-7.5 hrs west side. Worth the price IMO. I initially balked at it as I don't care for bus tours but he driver was really informative and made the trip a lot of fun. Left at 1:30 and got back at 8:15.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the Beacon this AM, Kalispell newspaper, Going To The Sun Road will not open until June 22.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
missourijan wrote:
Yes, we took the 3 1/2 to 4 hour tour and I would not recommend any that are longer. As others have mentioned, the buses aren't that comfortable but the scenery is awesome

We did the complete trip from West Glacier to East Glacier and back, 10 hours. There are numerous photo/rest stops and the coaches are not uncomfortable. Enjoy you trip.

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We did the tour from St.Mary on the east side, about 4 hours. It was in September and fairly chilly even with a jacket and the wool blanket they provided. The driver was great and full of information.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I was involved with the restoration of those Red Buses and would take the 4 hour tour. You should have a Blast.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we took the 3 1/2 to 4 hour tour and I would not recommend any that are longer. As others have mentioned, the buses aren't that comfortable but the scenery is awesome

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
I drove the going to the sun road the first time in Glacier. The second time I took the tour from the west side it was about 4 hours. I would recommend the tour.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did an evening tour a couple of years ago. The sunset was fantastic and because it being that time of day the traffic was minimal. Oh, we left from Apgar Village.

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes to the Red Bus! The drivers are EXCELLENT guides that give out much info about Glacier and everything you see.

If it's cold they will provide heavy wool blankets and, if rainy, they do close the top. Very unusual to be extremely warm in Glacier and at those altitudes.

Going to the Sun road is a beautiful drive but it's a lot nicer to not have to do the driving.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the time of year as I remember the Red buses were open so cold in the fall and hot in the summer. We took the native american tour in closed buses with A/C. Can't remember the name but they picked us up at St. Mary's CG on the east side.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Crown of the Continent tour with our driver Peggy, it was 10 hours of greatness.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did a 4 hour tour on the west side and really enjoyed it. The price is worth not having to drive or deal with all the traffic.

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes do the tour. The cars have fold down roofs so you can see straight up. The tour guide gives out so much information.

our tour was about 9 hrs. It included a stop for lunch.
You can see so much more on a tour. you do not have to worry about the other drivers. We did the going to the sun road.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I think the tour from the west side to Logan Pass Vistor Best
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog