cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good places to visit ..Ala. South Carolina ,Tenn

Campncouple
Explorer
Explorer
Well, here we are in our 70's and have been camping a long time. We have been blessed to take lots of long trips... Western States, New England and have seen so many awesome places. God has truly given us a Beautiful Country.
Now we want To camp by staying closer to home .. Georgia!
Would love it if you friends could share names and places of Things to see and do that would not be long stretches. I know there are so many that we have not seen . We love history and sightseeing.
Thank You for any suggestions. We appreciate your time.

Safe Travels!
10 REPLIES 10

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Florence (Muscle Shoals area) in NW corner of Alabama. Beautiful FHU city park on the Tennessee River. It is 5 minutes to downtown Florence with lots of restaurants. They close down main street the first Friday night of every month for a city event except during the coldest months. There is lots to do if you like biking, hiking, fishing or golf.

The W. C.Handy Festival is held there every summer and lasts about 10 days around the end of July or beginning of August. Lots of the music events are free of charge. Many great musical artists began and/or return to the area where the Muscle Shoals Sound began at the FAME (Florence Alabama Music Enterprises) studios.

All of this is written in confidence. Please don't tell anyone else.

bubbagulf
Explorer
Explorer
If you love history I would suggest Tannehill Ironworks Historic State Park just south McCalla, Al (B'ham area).

Pre Civil war furnace that was restored for the Bi-Centennial.
Actually did a heat and cast.

Beautiful park. Has museum, easy hiking, shady streams.

Do a web search.

They are supposed to do a furnace run Sept 4th and 10th.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Dittos on Andersonville, Ft Benning Infantry Museum and Confederate Naval Museum.We visited them while staying at Georgia Veterans State Park. We stayed at High Falls State Park riverside campground on our way home from Disney.Nice campground with water and electric,pull throughs and back ins. Nice bath houses and laundry facilities. Not sure what there is to do in the area.

In South Carolina,we stayed at Huntington Beach State Park. 130 sites,some in the open and some that are pretty secluded. Some full hookups,most are water and electric. You can walk to the beach and the Nature staff puts on some very interesting talks.Some in the nature Center and others on the beach.Murrels Inlet is right up the road. We ate at Drunkin Jacks which is very nice and the food is good.

If you head north,the Blue Ridge Parkway is nice. We stayed at Sherando Lake which is about 10 miles west of mile marker 18. Large sites with electric hookups and a lake for swimming.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We have not been to a bad State Park in Georgia, Florida or South Carolina. We really like Paris Mountain State Park in Greenville, SC. It's 60 to 90 minutes from many great places in GA, SC and NC.

Stone Mountain, GA is a neat place to visit. Vogel State Park in GA is beautiful as is Tallulah Gorge State Park. We have visited Tallulah SP, but haven't camped there. On the eastern side of GA there is Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah, GA. It makes a good base camp to see Savannah. It is our favorite close-to-home parks. Jekyll Island is also a great place to visit, although the campground isn't the best. There are several in Brunswick, GA (20 minute drive to Jekyll Island) - our favorite being Blythe Island Regional Park and Campground. While there you can also visit St. Simons Island, Historic St. Mary's, GA and Cumberland Island National Seashore.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Brass town Bald highest point in Georgia on a clear day you can see Atlanta skyline. Helen is a cute touristy German theme town.

We stayed at Duckett Mill COE on Lake Sidney Lanier just east of Atlanta it was great and I would recommend it to anyone.

We also stayed at Twin Lakes COE in western South Carolina close to Clemson and it is another beautiful campground.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Andersonville, National Infantry museum at Ft Benning (Columbus). The Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus, Kenesaw Mtn, Savannah and the Okeefenokee Swamp.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Georgia State Parks have huge variety http://gastateparks.org/

Check out the state park systems in the other states too. Good value and fun in state parks.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Well Couple,

You need to get a couple of guide books.

Andersonville is a National park, but we didn't camp near it. We also stopped at the Civil War Ships museum in Columbus. If you are going that way, you have to tour Savannah and can then go north to the Hunley Museum.

North Georgia is home to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the associated parks.

Have you driven the Trace - Natchez Trace? Think about that one. Campgrounds all along it and a historical marker every other mile of 440 (no Joke).

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Tennessee State parks in the east and central parts of the state are truly outstanding. The southern section of the Cherokee National Forest, the Chattanooga area, and of course Great Smokey Mountains National Park are not too far from you.

Check USCampgrounds.info for locations of almost all federal, state, city, and county campgrounds. It's very helpful.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
POW Display in Anderson GA. I am not sure if it is a National Park or not.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos