cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

grand canyon

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to go to Grand Canyon in Sept after the trip through Utah's canyons, etc.North or south rim we are thinking south and staying at Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. any thought or is there better places.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
25 REPLIES 25

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
noe-place wrote:
They get fussy if you don't use a snake with your sewer hose so be warned. They actually left a "ticket" on my MH telling me I had to have one.

Thats because of city permit codes so they have to enforce or they get dinged.

Thanks for the totally useless update.

Um...ok...gee, thanks I guess!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
noe-place wrote:
They get fussy if you don't use a snake with your sewer hose so be warned. They actually left a "ticket" on my MH telling me I had to have one.

Thanks for the totally useless update.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Mules, by nature, will migrate to the outside. We have had them do it all over the place. They either don't know or don't care they are scaring the hell out of the rider! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Though it is basically just a parking lot with hook ups Trailer Village is the place to be. You are not there for CG ambience. You are there for the GC. The shuttle stops right at the Trailer Village gate. There is no time consuming commuting from some distant CG to get to the canyon.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed last year at the Trailer Village and were there 2nd week in Sept. Besides the shuttle from the campground beautiful paved trail from campground to visitor center and trails.We skipped the shuttle and walked the trail which is about a 10 min. walk. then also rode our bikes on the trail. There isn't a map that shows that area from the campground but we asked at the camp office and they told us about the little unknown trailway.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, a friend of mine took the mule ride down the path to the bottom and back. The wrangler told Mike that his mule's name was Seymour, but it was spelled "See-more" because the mule liked to walk close to the outer edge of the path. ๐Ÿ™‚
BTW, you can hike to the bottom on that same path, and there are helicopter pilots at the bottom that will fly you back to the rim. A VERY expensive ride.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are coming from UTAH--hopefully the North Rim is not to far out of the way. We stayed at Jacob's Lake in a FHU RV park--yes it is 45 mile to the the Rim. But get a forest service map and drive the forest service gravel roads without the rig to explore for aspens as well as get to isolated spots on the canyon rim. If you can do 2 days at the North Rim--it will be well worth it. On the South Rim--stay in the trailer park in the NP--full hookups and easy access to ranger programs and all the sights. For a bonus, take a helicopter flight over the GC--they fly south of the South Rim visitors area.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Search. This has been around many times before.

Simple as this - you want to SEE the Grand Canyon or just say you have been there?

Want to say you have been there - then stay at North Rim (you see one small portion of the Grand Canyon) or take the hokey train ride or drive from Williams and spend a few hours there concentrated in one spot with washed out midday colors.

Want to SEE the Grand Canyon - then stay at Trailer Village for at least 3 days to you can get to many viewpoints and see the majestic beauty at sunrise and sunset with the fantastic shadows and colors. That is really what it is all about.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Railway RV Park. It's huge with full h'ups but NO shade. It's really a big parking lot but it's close to everything. You can walk into the town in a couple of minutes to restaurants, grocery store and site seeing. They get fussy if you don't use a snake with your sewer hose so be warned. They actually left a "ticket" on my MH telling me I had to have one.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We love the Grand Canyon Railroad park. Very nice park. Small convenience store at office. They also have a kennel on site if you wish to leave your pets for the day while site seeing.

We prefer to stay in Williams rather than at the rim. We drive to the rim in the morning and spend most of the day and return to Williams early evening. Williams is a fun small route 66 town. Old fashioned parade on many holiday weekends are fun.

We'll be there next weekend. Can't wait.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I checked for the North Rim--Full Hookup Rv sites were only at Jacobs Lake, AZ that is a 45 mile drive to the North Rim. We did it several years ago and would do it again even with an almost 100 mile round trip daily. On the North Rim, get a National Forest road map from the NF office in Jacobs Lake, Great gravel roads that will take you to the Grand Canyon as well as thru the aspens. Check on the closing date of the North Rim, then head to the South Rim and stay in the Park--great Ranger talks and scenery! Enjoy it all.

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
We took a 3 week trip in April through So Utah, and stopped in Williams for 2 nights to break up the trip home. We stayed at Grand Canyon RR RV Park. It is one the cleanest and plushest RV parks I have ever seen - the bathrooms are great. The sites are huge blacktop spaces, but fine. We drove up to the GC for the day.

The town of Williams is cute and some good places to eat. I like the Thai place.

If I had more than 2 nights, I would have stayed in the GC, but for one day, it made sense to stay in Williams.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I would suggest the Trailer Village just outside the park, if you will be staying more than 3 nights. I would really suggest staying inside the park, they have the most scenic campsites, but no water hookups, or electric.

Trailer Village has a I-Max theater just across the street, walking distance. Great movies of the National Parks on the HUGE screen.. .

Fred.

I think there's a little confusion here. Trailer Village is inside the national park and it has full hookups.

The RV park in Tusayan outside the park and by I-Max is called Camper Village.

Trailer Village is the place to stay: Trailer Village RV
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel