cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Haven, MI in early September

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of doing a long weekend trip (3 nights)in September with our DD, DS and his GF, all mid 20's. We have never been to MI and thought Grand Haven sounded interesting. Considering PJ Hoffmaster SP as it is wooded instead of the parking lot campground on the beach. Do people swim that late in the season? Is this campground sheltered from the wind off of the lake? Is the creek within sight of some of the camp sites? Any favorite sites? Any other info or insight you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB
22 REPLIES 22

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Some years you can go swimming in the fall and some years you cannot. I took my husband one year and while I swam, he stood there and shivered. Children will be more able to stand it than adults.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Marcia,

PJ is a great place if you want to feel like you are camping and not just parking. I can't recommend a site because we have where we like and that is mostly because our dog seems to like it. Most of the sites have 30 Amp, but look at the diagrams.

Yes, you can swim in the lake - if you choose to. In September the water will probably be warm and the air cool. But, in Michigan we have a saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."

Grand Haven is a parking lot on the beach, but you could easily walk or ride up to the musical fountain. In September, they only run it Friday and Saturday nights after dusk.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's a long ways from your home. How about a trip to Springfield with a stay at Double J campground. Check out the Lincoln Museum, monuments, old capital, New Salem, and route 66 historical `stuff' including corn dogs at Cozy's.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Even though Grand Haven is a "parking lot on the beach", it's still a great place. Situated on a channel, you can walk out on a pier to the lighthouse, or along the channel all the way into town. Great for biking, too. That said, Hoffmaster is a beautiful, wooded cg, as described above. Imo, one can't go wrong either way, depending on what you're looking for.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Actually, if the air is warm and the winds haven't churned up cold water from deeper (both questionable), the water can be quite warm in September (relatively speaking).

The problem is temps start swinging up and down in September so it's hard to say what you will get. It could easily be cool fall weather where you won't want to swim.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I would skip Grand Haven since its just a parking lot at the beach. We really like Van Buren State Park in South Haven which is less than an hour south. Hoffmaster State Park is nice also and has trees. Swimming in Lake Michigan in September will be cold.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the sites are electric only, so fill your tanks on the way in (there is a watering station available).

You may also have to purchase separate vehicle passes for your truck and trailer, and being out of state that might get spendy.

As far as swimable, depends on your tolerance for chill.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
welove2drive wrote:
We are thinking of doing a long weekend trip (3 nights)in September with our DD, DS and his GF, all mid 20's. We have never been to MI and thought Grand Haven sounded interesting. Considering PJ Hoffmaster SP as it is wooded instead of the parking lot campground on the beach. Do people swim that late in the season? Is this campground sheltered from the wind off of the lake? Is the creek within sight of some of the camp sites? Any favorite sites? Any other info or insight you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Marcia

It is a very nice campground. They have several loops although they may not all be open during the week. All of them are wooded, either with hardwoods or pine trees. I vaguely recall some might have a view of the creek but it's not much of a creek. I wouldn't base my decision on that. It is sheltered from the wind as the lake is on the other side of the dunes. Miles of beach to hike. As far as water temperature, who knows. Much depends on the wind direction during the time you're there.