cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone been to French Creek State Park, PA?

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a 5-day spring break trip with friends, and are thinking about French Creek State Park, PA. We'll have our class C and a pop-up, and this will be our first time going anywhere with another family. There will be 4 boys with us, ages 8-12.

It looks like a great area with lots to do for our families of Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts...self-guided orienteering course in the park, very near Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site, not too far from Valley Forge National Park, and the last weekend in April is nearby "Philly Brick Fest 2014" especially for the kids, who are all Lego fans.

Has anyone stayed at French Creek? Opinions and or suggestions about which sites/loops might be best for a class C and pop-up at adjoining sites, or anything else to do in the area? Thanks so much!
8 REPLIES 8

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We often stop there in the spring on our way home after a winter south. Here is a picture/words review of the campground.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there in August 2011. Here is the review I posted on rvparkreviews.com;

"Arrived on Saturday and stayed four nights. On Sunday after the weekenders left the bathrooms were filthy. My wife said that human waste and blood were smeared on all the toilet seats in the women's restroom. The seats were not cleaned until a fellow camper took it upon herself to clean them on Tuesday.

The park staff finally showed up with a pressure washer on Wednesday and did the women's restroom only. I never witnessed any cleaning in the men room. I did see the cleaning crew drive through without stopping each morning.

The campsites were extremely overgrown with weeds. I feel sorry for any tent campers that were to use our site unless they brought a weed whacker with them.

There was also a large dead tree on our site (C37) that constitutes a definite hazard for anyone camping here.

There was a trailer on site with the campground host sign but we never found anyone there. They may have been here when we arrived on Saturday, I can't say for sure.

The kiosk at the entrance to the camping area was unmanned for the entire time we were here. There was a sign indicating that people needed to go down the road to the main park office. We didn't bother since we reserved and paid online. No one ever checked on us to verify that we belonged on the site. We camped here in a Tent Trailer."

I had several emails back and forth with the campground manager;
He claimed the restrooms were cleaned daily.
He claimed that tenters like the tall weeds because it cushions the tent.
He said the camp host had Monday and Tuesday off.
He at first said there was no dead tree and then emailed a day later and said the tree was being taken down immediately.

Hopefully things have improved. This was the only bad review I have ever written about a campground.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
I played the 18 hole disc golf course there last spring, the park is really nice, well kept, and plenty to do in the area.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
The park itself is nice,but I don't like the campground.Many of the sites aren't laid out where the picknick table and fire ring are outside your door.Instead,they are behind you.It puts you closer to your neighbor than I prefer.The last time we were there,the people next to us were fighting,yelling and swearing..Then they left and let their poor dog tied to a tree.I reported it to a ranger but he didn't seem to care so we left early.Most Pa state park campgrounds we like,but not French Creek.

shar3890
Explorer
Explorer
If you bring a pet, you must book a "pet site". Dogs are only allowed on these certain sites.

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much!

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
We live only about 45 minutes from French Creek and only about 2 miles fro Valley Forge National park. We have camped many times at French Creek. One of our sons just camped there this past Labor Day weekend.

Our favorite sites are as follows:
Bo1 - level, water spigot next to site and shady.
B09 - level, water spigot next to the site and close to shower house.
B13 - level, water spigot close by and shower house not too far away.
B48 - Level, water spigot close at site B01

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Ray

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We were at French Creek for two nights last month, Sept 23rd & 24th. Nice campground with lots of trees. We only looked at B loop, which had paved sites, some with electric. We picked site B-11, which was perfectly level. There were only a few sites occupied, so it wasn't an issue that B-11 was a handicapped site. Campground Map

DW and I hiked around both Hopewell and Scotts Run Lakes. Canoe and Kayak rental is available at Hopewell Lake, although closed when we were there. Next to Hopewell Lake is the largest swimming pool I've ever seen, also closed for the season.

When we left on the 24th, we drove around to Hopewell Furnace, a very interesting place. The Ranger told us that we could have hiked a short trail from French Creek to get there.

Not far from French Creek is the Strasburg Railroad. Right across the street is the Railroad Museum of PA, with lots of heavy iron.

When in the area, we always stop at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord. Great Amish cooking - all you can eat.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚