cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Corpus Christi area "safe"???

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
We are considering going to the Corpus Christi/Rockport area next February. My wife is somewhat "concerned" about whether or not the area is "safe" or not.

Any comments??? I thought you snowbirds would have the inside info on the question. ๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

19 REPLIES 19

deaop01
Explorer
Explorer
We liked Rockport better than CC. Less traffic and less people. CC is kind of depressing. A month in that area is enough time to spend. Not a lot to see but some great beach driving.

Good luck

Ron
Betty and Ron
2002 Bounder 31W
8.1 with 5 speed Allison
2 slides
2005 Colorado toad

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, I snowbird in Mexico, I guess you won't convince her to go there.

Did she retire to wrap herself up in foam and stay home?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I found the Corpus Christi area kinda depressing. I would not want to spend much time there other than shopping.

North and south of CC is fine. I found west of there not very enjoyable either. YMMV
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Stopping even a hundred miles north of the RGV is about like stopping in central Florida on your way south. Sure, it is warmer than Michigan, but why not get all the warmth you can? In Jan/Feb, every degree helps.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
netjam wrote:
....I'd be more concerned about Feb weather. A little too cold for my taste.
You're joking . . . . . right???:W

If it were me, I'd go a couple hundred south and stay in the valley. The reason I snowbird is to be warm. Corpus after Christmas is OK but not warm IMO.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
It is certainly possible to be hit by a car while crossing the street but that and other dangers are no more likely there than any other place. Biggest weather related danger is hurricanes or thunder storms but those happen in much of the country. Over all its as safe as any place else.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a months stay in Corpus Christi (Flour Bluff area) and am alive and well. I have been going there in the spring and fall for 8 years. Always fun.
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
We stay at CCNAS also, but run around till the wee hours of the morning looking for good fishing spots. One day we will move down there.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
chris3403 wrote:
Oh by the way, we now stay in Rockport 2004, 10, 11, 12 and again this year. Nothing wrong with either place. Rockport is more laid back and a lot more RV parks but a lot less people somewhere around 9,000 vs the 300,000 plus over in Corpus

x2 would not want to stay in Corpus we prefer the ocean beaches
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My AX handle and wasp spray works wonders... Motion detector outside lights does great as well...

My wife is full blooded Texan - No one wants to mess with a full blown Texan. they shoot first and ask questions later...

I will admit getting down south of the Padre Island National Seashore park road is rather remote to say the least. You are sorta on your own down those trails.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Oh by the way, we now stay in Rockport 2004, 10, 11, 12 and again this year. Nothing wrong with either place. Rockport is more laid back and a lot more RV parks but a lot less people somewhere around 9,000 vs the 300,000 plus over in Corpus
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering visiting Ballwin, Missouri, but concerned that some areas may not be safe. I already know that lots of St. Louis is not safe, and I wonder if that crime has spilled over to Ballwin.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Spent 2005 and again 2009 in Flour Bluff which is at the south end of Corpus Christi and we never had any muggings, murder, rape, robbery or thefts that I am aware of in the RV park we stayed in off of Waldron Drive. Did have a couple of people die due to old age.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOTLDaddy wrote:
the usual . . . . . . muggings, murder...
Ok, there are statistics on that, but the farther you can be from any populated area the safer you are.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman