cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High altitude & cloud-free camping in mid-August?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rather than hijack the other dark sky thread, I am starting a new one -- here is the issue: I really want to see the Perseid meteor shower on August 12-13 this year -- there is no moon, and some scientists are predicting a better than usual show (because we are crossing a thick patch of cometary debris).

In past years, we have gone to the Eastern Sierra, looking for high altitude boondocking (cooler temps and thinner air). But a couple of times, we have been disappointed by the monsoonal cloud cover -- the thunderstorms come up from the south and cover the sky.

So that is my question -- I am willing to drive a long way for good viewing -- where am I most likely to find high altitude cool camping AND minimal cloud cover in mid-August?? I am not looking for anyone to reveal their special boondocking site -- just general suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
45 REPLIES 45

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
New Mexico has great dark sky areas but August is, as others have noted, the monsoon season. We were at older son's place in northern NM for one set of showers and then for an eclipse - and it was total overcast. There is a lot of BLM lands in SW NM and SE Arizona that would be great for star-gazing except for the rainy season.
Reed and Elaine

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
Dan
Thank you for posting this thread. Don't know why I didn't see it before now. Thanks again. A lot more Boondocking ideas.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,
The obvious solution is to head north of the Monsoon season. My picks would be:
1.Hinkey Summit north of Paradise Valley. pg. 21 in the NV Gazetteer @7869 feet it has the dry, way out of the way feel to it. It is dark at night with no glow of cities. We camped there in May of 2010, a heavy snow year:
These clouds were gone by sundown:

Another is up Angel Lake Road S.W. of Wells NV. just shy of 10K ft, clear air, far enough north. You are shielded from the faint lights of Wells on the horizon. pg. 32 on the NV Gazetteer. It's a very steep pitch to the top. We camped there in 2008.
I hope you have better luck this time than the last event you recommended.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some beautiful night time skies around Leadville, CO. It is at 10,000'. I stayed at a couple of the Forest Service campgrounds, however most are pretty heavily forested which cuts down on the view of the sky. Most are on the shore of Turquoise Lake which does provide an open, although not always cloud free view.

The Tabor campground is really an open parking lot, but has the clearest view of the sky:

My Site:

View over the lake:

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
How about Mid/Eastern Oregon? East of Bend. The high desert there is about 4000', and well, it's a desert so not much chance of clouds or rain. There is no monsoon season. You can't get much better for lack of light pollution in the lower 48.

Best night sky I have ever seen is at Bull Prairie Lake campground not far from that area. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9736636,-119.663237,16z Although that is up in the mountains and I have had it rain there in August.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
PUC, Grandview is a good suggestion -- we have been up there for the August meteors, and there were friendly folks with very big telescopes all around us -- my boys enjoyed looking at the planets. There was a little light pollution from Bishop and Big Pine -- not much.

Mahogany may be too rugged for our trailer -- the other problem with the Death Valley area is that, amazingly, there is noticeable light pollution from Las Vegas. Having been to deepest Utah, I am spoiled -- I really want dark, dark, dark sky.

We found that hot chocolate was the key to getting small children interested in the stars. Your three kids are in the prime years for this activity -- big enough to stay awake, young enough to be interested in the stars.

I also found that I could hold their interest for a while by talking to them about the origins of the meteors (the comet), the origins of the comet (the Oort Cloud), the origins of the solar system, the odd fact that the moon and the planets are in the same plane (the "accretion disk"), etc. If they were still awake, we would talk about the universe, the big bang, the red shift, and so forth. All of this can be discussed in "kid friendly" terms, by posing questions to them.

They are both grown up now -- I miss those innocent days. But not their teenage years. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest Grandview campground in the white mountains near ancient Bristlecone pine forest. 8500' I have been many years ago, and I believe it is still one of the better dark sky locations in the western US. I am 90% sure it is trailer friendly, I am planning on taking my 22' in the next year or so.

I would also suggest Thorndike or Mahogany Flat campground in the Panamint mountains, but I am not sure if you can get your trailer up there. Really most anyplace in DV. When I live closer I used to take weekend trips, often leaving in the evening. I have been known to just pull off the Trona Wildrose road in the middle of Panamint valley and just look up!

Our own local Mt. Pinos west of Frazier park is one of the better dark sky locations near SoCal.

I have also read good things about Bridgeport.

It is a bit frustrating for me, I love the night sky, my family couldn't care less. My oldest is beginning to show some signs of interest so I am going to try to encourage it. Where I grew up in Hesperia we had respectable dark at night, now I live in SCV not so much. I miss it.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
RFV wrote:
I live in AZ and do a lot of camping up in Big Lake, AZ. Great place to camp at 9000 feet. Big Lake is about 30 miles from Show Low, AZ but has great boon-docking locations all around it.

Rudy

I may try it out in Aug for some skywatching
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
x3 (or whatever it is up to now) for the Steens.
You may not want to pull your trailer around the whole loop. Just take it up and down the N. Side (out of French Glen). Drop the trailer and drive the loop in your truck.
Watch out for killer mosquitoes though.
Great boondocking on the East side (BTW, I believe it is a block thrust range) right on the edge of the playa.
Good hikes both up top and on the East side. Beware of some websites that list hikes in the area though as some are on posted private land. Best to check with the BLM first.
And, most importantly, don't miss getting a milk shake in Fields...really they are that good.

RFV
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to the area that I spoke about. http://www.camparizona.com/Campsites/WhiteMtnsCampsites/BLLV_Map.htm

Both East & West Fork have large boon-docking possibilities. Wherever you find your camping spot, I hope you have a great time!

Rudy

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rudy, thanks for the tip! I had no idea there was so much high altitude camping in that corner of Arizona -- the possibilities are endless.
About our trailer

RFV
Explorer
Explorer
I live in AZ and do a lot of camping up in Big Lake, AZ. Great place to camp at 9000 feet. Big Lake is about 30 miles from Show Low, AZ but has great boon-docking locations all around it.

Rudy

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
TUCQUALA,

Thanks for the detailed information!

We would really like to get back into that area soon. Great rockhounding in the high desert and, it sounds like, great skies and views in the mountains.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols, you should not have any problem on the Loop Road, at least up the north side to the top. We have not gone down the south side of the loop, some info states steeper and rougher than the north part. The road to the top from French Glen is very good, gravel but well maintained. Worst part last year was the 2 mile stretch from town to the turn out to the Page Springs Campground, very washboard'y. After that it was very smooth, low dust, wide.

Fish Lake CG can easily handle your MH. Our Jayco was aboot 27 ft oal, and my sons is 31 ft oal. We had no problem going in and out of campground or the sites we chose. We didn't go past or into South Steens CG, so can't comment other than it is somewhat horse oriented. DON'T attempt to go into Jackman Park CG, very small, limited sites with extremely poor turn around area.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles