cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How does this vacation route sound?

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
In the next few days we will be reserving our big summer vacation with our 7 and 10 year old. I will be taking about 2.5 weeks off and this is what we have so far (destinations only, there are a couple of overnight stops in between) A few of the travel days are long (9 hours), but I need to make up time so we can enjoy our destinations

Starting in Tampa..

Natural Bridge / caverns in VA (Jellystone)

Hershey Park. (Hershey campground)

Niagara falls.. (Niagara falls campground)

NYC. (liberty harbor campground)

Washington DC.. (Cherry hill campground)

Back to Tampa....

The campgrounds were chosen by their PROXIMITY to the attractions, I dont want to do any more driving than I have to.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291
23 REPLIES 23

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh, I guess you would be. I have been in Florida for a long time, I guess I just don't know what you think about when all you see is snow. (In regards to camping)

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
The only campground I could not book was Niagara Falls, they open in March (there is probably 2 foot snow that just fell) So any of you up in they area are probably more concerned with winter maintenance than summer fun.

You're kidding right? We have are expecting 12 inches of snow tonight and the high on Monday is 0 (without windchill). All I have done for the past few weeks is plan summer vacations. It's the only way to cope with the cold and snow! :B
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I just finished booking all the camp grounds so we are now just waiting for July! I will now take your suggestions and others and take a look at the best roads to take. The only campground I could not book was Niagara Falls, they open in March (there is probably 2 foot snow that just fell) So any of you up in they area are probably more concerned with winter maintenance than summer fun.

NYCFive1
Explorer
Explorer
Some travel info. For Liberty Park From northern NJ Take I-287 south to 24 east to I-78 East. Get off the last exit before the toll follow the signs to US 1 The exit for US 1 is a bit confusing. Just follow the signs.
You should get a Metro Card for traveling around NYC by bus or subway. Kids shorter than 42 inches (your younger child) ride free. During the summer every year I had at least 3 or 4 customers a week try to put dollar bills in the fare box or pay me in cash (I'm a Retired NYC BUS driver)
Near DC You cannot go through the tunnels with propane. Check the forum for the alternate routes.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!
NYCFive1

Can-AmDuo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great trip. The only thing I would do differently is move the Hershey Park destination to between NYC and DC.

Whatever you decide, safe travels.
Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
A quick check of Google Maps (actual destinations mapped out) shows it to be over 2,900 miles.

This is what crossed my mind when I read the OP. We began our cross-country voyages when our kids were about the same age. What we found that works for us (and ensures domestic harmony) is to balance those days of hard driving with a couple of days off the road. The kids are going to want to just play in the CG pool/playground/game room now and then. Gives mom & dad some time to unwind, too.

In 2009 we covered 8,300 miles over the course of 35 days. We spent no more than 2 nights in any one CG. Yes, we saw TONS of stuff, but in hindsight that trip was more like a drive-by shooting. Thankfully our kids were older by then. Just food for thought.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be so scared of the GW Bridge in New York. I went through a few years ago and had NO trouble getting through in our MH, however I did come back the long way further north. As for traffic noise at Cherry Hill, we've stayed there more than once and the traffic noise is barely audible.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
You never know if there will be a next time.. Life is too short, I want to do it while we can.. ( not to put a downer to the conversation) but, it is the truth.

Not a downer, but the truth. Who knows if next year you'll need your time off for a surgery instead of a vacation. Maybe someone gets laid off. You just never know.

I absolutely would NOT miss Niagara. If you've never been there and you won't be in the area again, just go. It's best seen from the Canadian side, but it's a tourist trap over there. Not sure if you want to consider crossing the border or not. Adults need passports (kids under 18 need birth certificates).

Yes, your itinerary is ambitious, but I completely see where you're coming from. Our kids are 11, 9, and 5 and we both work. It's hard to squeeze it all in. This year we are driving 550 miles in one day, and next year it will be 700. It's not for everyone but sometimes it's the only way to actually get anywhere unless you fly, and that's cost prohibitive for us. If you have young kids, my guess is you're in your 30s or 40s anyway and not retirement age. Totally doable.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
I'd agree on eliminating Niagara Falls and cutting it to shorter miles, and save two days on the road. You could then add Williamsburg and the Busch Gardens Park in Virginia and save a lot of driving to see some water splashing over a cliff.

Niagara could come at a later date, if/when you plan a travel up into NE and Maine, then take the I-81 run north instead of I-95 (yuck!) ... kids at this age will love Busch Gardens and the historic park.

I would agree with Busch gardens.. this was part of this past 2013 summer vacation (we stayed at chippokes plantation state park) . Great park and the kids loved BG, williamsburg/Jamestown ...

You never know if there will be a next time.. Life is too short, I want to do it while we can.. ( not to put a downer to the conversation) but, it is the truth.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
On our trip last summer (see above post), we did 4500 miles, but we did it in 45 days. We planned for 4-5 hours of driving time on driving days and sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
ependydad wrote:
A quick check of Google Maps (actual destinations mapped out) shows it to be over 2,900 miles.

Simply taking out the Niagara Falls leg cuts out 600 miles of that. If it were me, I'd have to think long and hard about excluding that from my itinerary. 3,000 miles in 17 days just seems like it would wear on me.

Yep, 3000 miles, give or take. I agree it is Ambitious, yes.. But, we both work and our ability to take long trips is limited to just 1 time, the summer. I enjoy driving and it is somewhat effortless with our set up. 2015 summer we would really like to finally head west, Texas..etc.. I can't tell you how many times I have driven the I95 corridor in my 22 years in tampa, one more big trip, then we would like to branch out.

Since we are heading in that north, we might as well see its much as we can, I can't see us driving up there again anytime soon.

There are a few 6-7 hour drives and a couple 9 hour, but the kids have there entertainment , DVD, computer games, portable wifi.. Etc.. This is not our first long trip, last year was 2200 miles, the year before was 2500. Both in 12-13 days.

Niagara was my one "splurge" if you will. I have never been and being only 5-6 hours from there, I really want to go. I would not travel all the way back up there just to see niagara.

Looks like you have the plan all wrapped up bud. Happy Motoring.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
Yep, 3000 miles, give or take. I agree it is Ambitious, yes.. But, we both work and our ability to take long trips is limited to just 1 time, the summer. I enjoy driving and it is somewhat effortless with our set up. 2015 summer we would really like to finally head west, Texas..etc.. I can't tell you how many times I have driven the I95 corridor in my 22 years in tampa, one more big trip, then we would like to branch out.

Since we are heading in that north, we might as well see its much as we can, I can't see us driving up there again anytime soon.

There are a few 6-7 hour drives and a couple 9 hour, but the kids have there entertainment , DVD, computer games, portable wifi.. Etc.. This is not our first long trip, last year was 2200 miles, the year before was 2500. Both in 12-13 days.

Niagara was my one "splurge" if you will. I have never been and being only 5-6 hours from there, I really want to go. I would not travel all the way back up there just to see niagara.

Sounds like you have it mapped out pretty nicely! With your kids being 7 and 10 now- you should be able to pull the longer days. I've got a 10 year old and 1 1/2 year old, so travel times are painful to plan (we seem to average 45mph over the # of miles when we factor in stops).

Though, you did just give me the push to start planning Key West next Christmas. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd agree on eliminating Niagara Falls and cutting it to shorter miles, and save two days on the road. You could then add Williamsburg and the Busch Gardens Park in Virginia and save a lot of driving to see some water splashing over a cliff.

Niagara could come at a later date, if/when you plan a travel up into NE and Maine, then take the I-81 run north instead of I-95 (yuck!) ... kids at this age will love Busch Gardens and the historic park.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

Simply taking out the Niagara Falls leg cuts out 600 miles of that. If it were me, I'd have to think long and hard about excluding that from my itinerary. 3,000 miles in 17 days just seems like it would wear on me.