cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How far south do you need to go for Christmas

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at next year, what would be a safe location for Christmas to have a good chance for moderate temps, 60-70's? Eastern US. Also, any suggestions of campground? Active 6 year old.
17 REPLIES 17

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
The closest you can get to a guarantee it's to head for the Keys, 99.5% chance that most of your trip will be in that range. But if you stay through New year's be aware that even the upper keys have seen 30s and 40s several times in the last decade due to polar vortex.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
leggy wrote:
Looking at next year, what would be a safe location for Christmas to have a good chance for moderate temps, 60-70's? Eastern US. Also, any suggestions of campground? Active 6 year old.

Given what the OP stated, I would suggest the Emerald Coast of Florida for the parents to veg out and/or Mount Dora/Leesburg area in Florida for the folks and the little one. Close to Disney an everything else that is Florida.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
You did say Eastern US, right? I snowbird in Sebring Florida, and I can say your best bet is to stay south of I-4 in Florida. We still do get a few cool days and maybe once or twice a winter get frost, but the temperature is usually in the 60's and 70's during the day, with an occasional cooler spell. I'm growing tomatoes and pineapples at my place and so far this winter they are doing fine. Oh wait, I just read "Active 6 year old", most of the campgrounds in that area are "over 55", in that case I'd recommend Fort Wilderness at Disney World.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
It's a general rule that if you want 70s all winter in Florida you need to be south of I-4.

X2
Texas gets bad weather all the time.
Florida is your best bet. Even if a cold front does glance us the cold temps are only for a few hours at night and then when the sun comes up its back up to the 70's and 80's.

I'm in central Florida where yes we might have a few more cold nights than southern Florida but the day time temps are the same.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We have been having this exact discussion around the campfire the past week or two. We are trying to figure out where to winter next year. The problem is, if it's below 70 for long, my family gets cranky! BUT we are also tired of wintering in Florida. ๐Ÿ™‚

We think we're going to try southern Texas next year for a spell. And my family wants to spend a month near Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. So we'll see...
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I'm staying at Ranchero Village, Weslaco Texas about $500 a month includes cable and high speed internet for a very nice slab site that is wide enough to park your RV and vehicle aide by side.
82 yesterday expecting to hit 79 later today and 80 tomorrow. Supposed to hit 49 Sunday before going back up into the 60's
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
You can't be guaranteed of anything.

Even in South Florida it can get colder than that. It all depends on what the cold fronts are doing at the time.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
It's a general rule that if you want 70s all winter in Florida you need to be south of I-4.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
East coast, along the coast, from Myrtle Beach south the odds are fair. Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville are all generally moderate but the chance at a cold snap is possible.
I've seen Va. Beach in the 70's for Christmas, and this year we had snow on Dec 12, so no matter how you play it, it's a **** shoot.
The further south you go, the better the odds, with Myrtle Beach probably being the area where the odds break in your favor.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well temps are in the 30's here in Upstate SC. Stay BELOW 1,000 feet or you might get snowed in (i'm at 800) For me. that's moderate. But then back in MI I've hit -40 a few times.

NO problem with freezing as I "Tank up" and disconnect. then use water from my heated on board tank.

Coldest I've ever seen is 11.. Again I had no problem (See above) park .. MAJOR issues. but I was ok.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you no longer see snow plows in front of Lowes & see lawnmowers & grills you have gone far enough south.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
You will not get the 60/70 temperature, but the middle to high 50s aren't bad. That's in Branson MO,lots to do even with a 6 year old. It would be worth checking out.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
We had a beautiful Christmas(70's), shorts weather, but today it is raining and by this weekend it will be in the 40's. Weather changes every year can't tell you that it will be in the 70's next year, it may be in the 20's you will have to wait and watch the weather forecasts through out the year.