cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long to stay for Grand Canyon first time?

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Going to the South rim of Grand Canyon the first week of May. We have to stay in Williams since Trailer Village is full. Just wondering how many days wee need to stay for our first trip. Doubt if we will be able to do much where reservations are required since most will probably be booked up already.

We were thinking 2 or 3 days would probably do for our first time. Suggestions?
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler
23 REPLIES 23

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first visit was full of amazement. There is absolutely no oncoming build-up with the outside scenery prior to driving up to the Canyon... I expected to see higher hills or even mtns prior to getting there. You sort of just round the last turn in the road and there it is in all of its glory haha...

I enjoyed the setting and rising sun beams walking up the inside of the canyon... On top once you make the drive from one end to the other and do all of the pull outs to gaze at the floor and the river below is about all there is of it..

Enjoyed the nice tower building on the East end of it with all the shops and things to dig through... We took a couple of tours sponsored by the rangers...

Didn't have any kids with us so it was was really just finding a good overlook spot and hanging out there for a long period of time...

Met some good friends we still communicate with... Had lots of folks just driving up to all of the pull-outs and taking pictures of everything that moves. We had the big idea of getting some stuffed squirrels and placing them in great spots to give the folks a good picture haha...

We stayed in the Flagstaff area for a week or so and hit all of the attractions associated with this amazing area... Even the toot from the trains every five minutes all night long camping in Flagstaff was kinda neat as well... That is one busy main east-west railroad.

I actually enjoyed the Wupatki National Monument and the Sunset Crater area probably more than the Grand Canyon... Got to hike alot of the off trail things at Wupatki and spend a long time there... The strange thing of hearing voices of kids playing and people talking which was definitely no one around for miles and miles was amazing... The Rangers said the voices will carry for miles away.

The Red Rock Canyons and mountains around the Sedona area was breath taking for us as well...

My working years brought me and my coworkers to the Phoenix area over the years.. Always made time to run up to Flagstaff area. Have done the same type of trips to this area at least four or five times now...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
23hotrodr wrote:
Going to the South rim of Grand Canyon the first week of May. We have to stay in Williams since Trailer Village is full. Just wondering how many days wee need to stay for our first trip. Doubt if we will be able to do much where reservations are required since most will probably be booked up already.

We were thinking 2 or 3 days would probably do for our first time. Suggestions?

For me it will usually encompass just the drive in from the East then multiple stops and a few hikes then check for a cancellation at the camp ground, as we are driving - if good stay there if not just catch sunset and head out.

Hard to do a lot if not staying in or close to the park, having seen the south side multiple times we tend to enjoy the North Rim as the crowds are less and the Experience is just different, in a good way.

Hard for me to visit the National Parks and have to work my way around the crowds just to see the wilderness I drove so far to see. Actually flew in on the Hilo out of Las Vegas one Christmas just two couples and the Pilot - might not have been in the Nation Park but it was Truly Memorable - IMHO - Special.

When you see it, be sure to get many, many pictures, as there is nothing like it anywhere.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For many previous posts on this subject search this Forum for `Grand Canyon'? Three hours is the average length of time visitors stay at the South Rim; or less!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed a full 48 hours. Took the train from Williams. Used the shuttle extensively. Saw everything except the tower at the east gate because the shuttle doesn't go there.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
There s also campground right outside the park within a mile of the entrance in tusayan called Grand Canyon camper village. It was fine for us then you won't spend two plus hours a day driving to and from.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Phil___Stephie
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Trailer Village last fall, was booked but a couple times a day I would enter our planned stay and got a reservation. The rep I talked with on the phone was who recommended watching for cancellations. Really handy to stay there and ride buses.

Phil & Stephanie Grey

"Partners In Life"
2016 Allegro 36LA
2007 Chevy HHR
Yorkies; Paisley Marie & Opie Taylor

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We were able to see all we wanted, catch a few sunrise/sunsets, do two Ranger led hikes, 2-3 Ranger led kids events, all in 3 days. Mind you, we kept moving from before sunrise until after, all days. We had reserved for 5, but were anxious to leave early. Hopefully someone caught the sudden opening of 2 nights being available. Trailer Village was "full" when we were there, yet there were empty sites all around us. I bet you can get in if you keep looking. That drive will change the experience.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

photonut4
Explorer
Explorer
My personal opinion is that 2-3 days would be plenty of time especially since you have to stay in Williams which is about 60 miles from the park. That drive gets tiring after a few days. It also depends on how much you want to do, are you hikers etc? If you do not hike, then you can see a lot, if not all, in that time frame. You really do want to make it a point to be there during sunset, as it brings out all the colors. It is way more vibrant during sunset/sunrise. Keep an eye on the reservations as their could be a last minute reservation. We were able to grab a last minute reservation a couple weeks before arrival during peak season.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
2 or 3 should do it. Depends on what you like to do of course. Williams is an interesting tourist town. Several good places to eat there. If you are taking the train to the canyon that will burn up 1 day alone.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272