cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long until Federal CG's open after shutdown ends ?

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
As of this morning it appears Congress may be close to finalizing a deal to end the federal government shutdown. I wonder how long it will take to reopen federal CG's after the shutdown ends, since we have or had reservations for camping at a federal CG this coming weekend.

Do any of you have any idea how long it will take after the shutdown ends to unlock the gates and turn the water on at the federal CG's?
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not
18 REPLIES 18

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You underestimate just how many man hours and money it takes to run a national park. Volunteers do a small part of it...(we're volunteers).
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well this brings up another question! With so many volunteers, how did closing the parks help the govt? Sounds like all they did was remove a large income for a few weeks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
YEA! The parks are finally open.

Most of the COE parks in the DFW area are closed.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
YEA! The parks are finally open.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Closest one to my house re-opened the next day, with 14 days to end of season. I'm out there.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
The recreation.gov website is back up & running this morning. I checked, and our reservations for this weekend are still valid. Brought my 5er home yesterday to start getting ready to leave tomorrow.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier this week I drove past COE Bailey's Point, Barren Lake Kentucky and the sign said; closed for the season. Normally they close the last day of October.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
If the experiences in Arches, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain and the other NP's opened last weekend are any indication, the CG's will open the next day. If, like JnJnKatiebug one has a reservation that has started before the parks reopen, the remainder of that reservation will begin the day the CG's open back up. Refunds for days when the CG was closed are automatic. As far as the volunteer staff, in the cases I'm aware of, they are still at the CG's.

JnJnKatiebug: the www.recreation.gov website is up with questions answered about what is going on including your question on refunds and reservations. Also, there is a phone number to call: 1-888-448-1474 I had no trouble at all reaching someone there. You can still cancel reservations at that number but not make new ones. Otherwise, they will basically answer the questions that they have on their web page.

I would note to anyone with a reservation that if the parks open in the middle of your reservation and you can't make it there anymore, you might want to cancel the reservation or they will charge you for the days they are open that they don't use.

Thanks, when I checked a couple of days ago it just said it was unavailable.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Our reservation was for today thru Sunday. It's not going to happen. Ours was all paid in advance. I am wondering how much of a hassle it will be getting a refund. All of the websites are shut down and they are not answering the phone.

We received ours back on our credit card the day after our reservation date.
Did not have to call????
Good luck.
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
We called the rec.gov number. Had reservations Sunday thru Tues - will have to wait for approvals on refunds. They still don't know when the parks will re-open. She said to just keep watching the web site. It will be first come, first served when they open. Hate to drive all that way and then not be able to get in. Decisions, decisions.....
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
How long to get the volunteer staff to come back from where they went for the winter?

It is going to vary by park.

We are volunteer staff, and didn't leave, so we are ready and anxious to get back to our duties!

The volunteers at the local fish hatchery did not leave either.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
If the experiences in Arches, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain and the other NP's opened last weekend are any indication, the CG's will open the next day. If, like JnJnKatiebug one has a reservation that has started before the parks reopen, the remainder of that reservation will begin the day the CG's open back up. Refunds for days when the CG was closed are automatic. As far as the volunteer staff, in the cases I'm aware of, they are still at the CG's.

JnJnKatiebug: the www.recreation.gov website is up with questions answered about what is going on including your question on refunds and reservations. Also, there is a phone number to call: 1-888-448-1474 I had no trouble at all reaching someone there. You can still cancel reservations at that number but not make new ones. Otherwise, they will basically answer the questions that they have on their web page.

I would note to anyone with a reservation that if the parks open in the middle of your reservation and you can't make it there anymore, you might want to cancel the reservation or they will charge you for the days they are open that they don't use.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
The next day.
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet