cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm getting tired of El Nino.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The El Nino pattern is living up to it's reputation as a conveyor belt for storms across the southern US. Usually winter in Florida is the dry season, especially in southern FL. Most cold fronts come out of the north and stall out around Orlando. The few stronger ones usually push south of the keys with a hour of rain as it passes and a day of cold weather.

In ten years of Snowbirding in WPB I've only put my awning in three times because of thunder storm warnings in the cold fronts. I've already broken that record and I'm glad I did put it in. Having grown up here you could count on one hand the number for days where it rained all day in a year. While January has not broken that number YET and instead of less than 3" of rain... we are pushing 10" for the month, enough is enough.

With El Nino the fronts are coming out of the west across the gulf where it's picking up a lot of moisture... hence all the rain. I doubt TX is getting as much rain from the same front as by the time the front gets there, CA has sucked most of the moisture out of the front.

While it's serious when two are killed in Sarasota by a tornado or cars are blown around yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale, BUT I bet those in tornado alley would be happy with a E-1 that's less than 200' wide and stays on the ground for a couple of minutes. Must be a slow news day when the one yesterday makes the national news.

I know those of you in CA dealing with mud slides or you in the DC\NY areas dealing with record snow do not feel sorry for me but dang I can't do this all of the time. :B

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...
49 REPLIES 49

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
29F this morning here in Tucson. Frost on the picnic table. At the moment it's warmer at home in northern IL.

They are calling for 80 degrees next week, here. Normally we, especially DW, would be saying "it's too hot". I told her that this time it is a no complaining about heat zone. Move your chair into the shade.

Bring it on. ๐Ÿ™‚
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:
Is this the El Nino scream room?

IT'S TOO #$#$@)*$ COLD HERE IN AZ RIGHT NOW!
Oh come on ---- It is supposed to go down to 32ยฐ here tonight, but that is still ABOVE the 3ยฐ forecast for home tonight ..... AND, there is NO snow to shovel ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, the real problem is The Texan's wife Betsy, loves to ice fish. Soooo ..... no snow to shovel, no ice fishing. See where I'm going here. Weather causes a different set of problems for everyone. ๐Ÿ™‚
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:

Oh come on ---- It is supposed to go down to 32ยฐ here tonight, but that is still ABOVE the 3ยฐ forecast for home tonight ..... AND, there is NO snow to shovel ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer

Currently RV-less but not done yet.

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
I already have daffodil's blooming in Southeastern Mass. Is it already spring?
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
The El Nino pattern is living up to it's reputation as a conveyor belt for storms across the southern US. Usually winter in Florida is the dry season, especially in southern FL. Most cold fronts come out of the north and stall out around Orlando. The few stronger ones usually push south of the keys with a hour of rain as it passes and a day of cold weather.

In ten years of Snowbirding in WPB I've only put my awning in three times because of thunder storm warnings in the cold fronts. I've already broken that record and I'm glad I did put it in. Having grown up here you could count on one hand the number for days where it rained all day in a year. While January has not broken that number YET and instead of less than 3" of rain... we are pushing 10" for the month, enough is enough.

With El Nino the fronts are coming out of the west across the gulf where it's picking up a lot of moisture... hence all the rain. I doubt TX is getting as much rain from the same front as by the time the front gets there, CA has sucked most of the moisture out of the front.

While it's serious when two are killed in Sarasota by a tornado or cars are blown around yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale, BUT I bet those in tornado alley would be happy with a E-1 that's less than 200' wide and stays on the ground for a couple of minutes. Must be a slow news day when the one yesterday makes the national news.

I know those of you in CA dealing with mud slides or you in the DC\NY areas dealing with record snow do not feel sorry for me but dang I can't do this all of the time. :B

Come on down into Mexico, it's warm & sunny here

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
That's the way I look at it. Even with all the abnormal weather here in Florida it's still pretty nice, compared to most any where else. And back into the 80's this week !

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess I've now had both extremes. Two years ago it was the "best weather ever" for the Quartzsite/Parker area, and this year I've been told it is the worst, although it is finally warming up here in the "Q". In either case, it is much nicer than upstate NY winters!

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
This is our sixth year of snowbirding in Florida and the weather this year has been less than ideal. We arrived on January 8th and traveled the east coast, then the Keys, now in Fort Myers Beach. We arrived in the pouring rain on Wednesday afternoon for a month stay in an RV park here. We were told that we couldn't check in they had flooding and were not "allowing" people to check in or check out. If they checked out it was at their own risk. They couldn't give us a date when we could have our site. They suggested that we stay in the local Walmart parking lot, but we convinced them to let us stay in their parking lot and see how things go. After the second night our tanks were full and they wouldn't allow us to dump at a site there so we were pretty much up a river without a paddle. Luckily we were able to get a site for three nights at a park up the road (Gulf Waters RV Resort, beautiful place) and lucked out after several phone calls to get something for the month in a park in North Fort Myers. Lesson learned - check out park where you are heading to make sure everything is a go for your stay. This campground had our home phone AND our cell phone numbers AND our email address but only called our home phone THE DAY BEFORE to apprise us of the situation (did they think that we were going to be home in Pennsylvania the day before we would be staying in Fort Myers Beach????). Some people/companies just don't go the extra mile. Could be worse though, beats snow ๐Ÿ™‚

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a FLa native of WPB for 40 years it made more sense to Snowbird in WPB, even if I did not live in GA now. Dozen of friends still here... invited to a Superbowl party next weekend. Way too many nice places to eat, plenty of things to do, and traffic moves well now that they added two more lanes each way on I-95. Life is good and safe travels to all.

PS: Forty years ago Palm Beach county had 50 golf coarse and google says 140 today.:W
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
After the last few TX winters we sure earned the rights to a nice one.

After all the years of giving you and pawatt a hard time about the better weather in Florida I felt it only fair to start this post as the weather here has been less than ideal/normal. Instead of 2-3" of rain this month in WPB it's 10" with strong winds when the fronts roll though every week.:(

I did note that when I first saw your post. Takes a big man Ivylog. ๐Ÿ™‚

The downside is I was all ready to pull up stakes, now I'm second guessing it. Kinda like in golf when you hit that great drive and say "heck I can do this" only to slice the next four.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For all the hype rain has been mostly light in Southern California.
Might get a sprinkle on Sunday....

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
John&Joey wrote:
After the last few TX winters we sure earned the rights to a nice one.

After all the years of giving you and pawatt a hard time about the better weather in Florida I felt it only fair to start this post as the weather here has been less than ideal/normal. Instead of 2-3" of rain this month in WPB it's 10" with strong winds when the fronts roll though every week.:(

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
In South-TX, we are having one of the warmest winters in at least 3 years! A cold front will come in every 3 or 4 days, and then the temp goes right back up. Getting ready for spring to start in 2 or 3 weeks!

Perfect description of our winter. Thinking you might be right about spring being right around the corner. After the last few TX winters we sure earned the rights to a nice one.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in N. Ft Myers. It rained all day Wednesday, on and off all night and it's raining again as I type this. Wednesday's 10PM news said Cape Coral had received 6 inches of rain so far that day and evening as of the broadcast time. Ft Myers had received 12 inches of rain so far in January, which is TEN TIMES the normal amount.

Strange weather for sure down here. It normally never rains all day in Florida unless one of those pesky hurricanes pays a visit.

I can't complain as I don't have to shovel it. But I'm thinking the Florida Aquifer should be getting filled up !