Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

International

GalaxyGirl
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!
I'm new here ๐Ÿ™‚

I am in the process of researching RVs as I will be a full-timer soon. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with bringing your Rv across waters. I would like to have the option of bringing it to Europe, Ireland and even Australia would be fun. I am leaning toward a truck camper but haven't purchased yet, (so may change my mind). Any intercontinental travel experience? Wondering about cost to ship, campground/boondocking access or any other info that you would be willing to share would be appreciated.

GG
16 REPLIES 16

Beerboy
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider instead of renting is to buy a used rig. I had friends do that with a car when visiting Australia for an extended period a number of years ago. Once your trip is done you can resell it and recoup much of the cost. I'm not certain how all the legalities worked out though. May depend on the country.

GalaxyGirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Lots of great points. I especially hadn't considered that the truck I am looking at (Freightliner) may be difficult to service overseas. That would certainly be a huge problem.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Yep, Robert a Fuso, a Mitsubishi, a Toyota & other cab overs seen around the world are virtually non existent on US highways. Heck even the Sprinter van, long seen on European roads is a relative newcomer to the North American highways.

Imagine trying to take any one of the monsterous US class As around the world, or anywhere outside of the US for that matter.

You can add a vast number to your list. Class A's would be a problem in many parts of Europe and Asia. Still they have class A like " Horseboxes"and Motorhomes ( Germany primarily for Motorhomes, rest of Europe has luxury Horseboxes). In Australia and New Zealand you have 40-45ft refurbished Coaches with slideouts etc
Luxury Horsebox

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
1st thing you want to make sure You have a drivers licence that will enable you to drive Anything bigger than a Car or Suv. Also Emission standards and specs on motor vehicles in the US are different than in Europe. As stated above, Europe is So So beautiful, in some instances 2nd to none, but it did not become that way over night, So yes you will find places where it is impossible for cars to go, let alone a camper or a bigger class c.
Look: you wanna hop around Europe? there are so many cheaper solutions. Europe has a Great transportation system, you can take an Air bus from London to Frankfurt for $30 for example. You can get a Euro Rail pass and see Europe on the train, OMG it's so beautiful. Also Take Advantage of Rentals if necessary. If you stay in one place for an extended stay, don't worry, everything is so close that you most likely won't need a car. hope this helps

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
GalaxyGirl wrote:
I suppose I would have to weigh the hassle and cost of bringing the camper abroad vs. rentals.

Also bear in mind that if youโ€™re full-timing you will need to live somewhere and lose your ride for a month or so while your unit is in transit each direction (2 to 3 months total), the point of departure and landing point might not be very convenient either. The other issue, if youโ€™re not personally attending at the landing the contents of your rig might be problematic, itโ€™s not your personal possessions if youโ€™re not with them in lots of countries. That means you may have extra demurrage fees or very short notice to attend at customs to effect clearance or pay duties and taxes.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, Robert a Fuso, a Mitsubishi, a Toyota & other cab overs seen around the world are virtually non existent on US highways. Heck even the Sprinter van, long seen on European roads is a relative newcomer to the North American highways.

Imagine trying to take any one of the monsterous US class As around the world, or anywhere outside of the US for that matter.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
First thing to consider is that anywhere past the US, Canada & Mexico very few have even heard of Chevy, Dodge or Ford. What are you going to do when something goes wrong? It will.

Better find something that is more of a world truck than what is only known in North America.

There is a reason for the VW Westfalia being so popular with true world travellers. There are many vans which make great class Bs sold by Asian builders sold around the world but are totally unheard of in N America.

I would expand my research beyond the world of .com N America & see what is out there in .au , .gb & . wherever else RVs are built & used to find a common truck base that is built upon.

Truck size is not an issue. Large trucks are everywhere. Servicing & parts availability are key.

A lot of vehicles sold here would be unknown in the US. You would be right in saying even in Australia, people have not heard of Chevrolet,Ford F450 and RAM
Example of a Truck Camper manufacturer and base that would be unfamiliar to anyone from the US

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Ireland, a ... US full size pickup ... , once off the main roads they are narrow and have little or no shoulder, in fact there might be a tall hedge or stone wall right at roads edge.
The same applies to all but freeways ("motorways") in New Zealand and Australia as well. New Zealand even has a number of one-lane bridges, especially on the South Island and some are also shared with a railroad track. And, when you are planning, think about the height of even a US pickup camper and the clearances of tunnels, overpasses, and bridges in Europe and Australia/NZ.

Generally not a problem in Australia, but F250-F550 would be too wide for some Off Road tracks.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing to consider is that anywhere past the US, Canada & Mexico very few have even heard of Chevy, Dodge or Ford. What are you going to do when something goes wrong? It will.

Better find something that is more of a world truck than what is only known in North America.

There is a reason for the VW Westfalia being so popular with true world travellers. There are many vans which make great class Bs sold by Asian builders sold around the world but are totally unheard of in N America.

I would expand my research beyond the world of .com N America & see what is out there in .au , .gb & . wherever else RVs are built & used to find a common truck base that is built upon.

Truck size is not an issue. Large trucks are everywhere. Servicing & parts availability are key.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for renting when overseas. The voltage is different, the road widths are different, and sometimes the fuel is different. When overseas we found it easier to do B&Bs with bus passes and rail passes. Much more relaxing that way, especially in Ireland.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Ireland, a ... US full size pickup ... , once off the main roads they are narrow and have little or no shoulder, in fact there might be a tall hedge or stone wall right at roads edge.
The same applies to all but freeways ("motorways") in New Zealand and Australia as well. New Zealand even has a number of one-lane bridges, especially on the South Island and some are also shared with a railroad track. And, when you are planning, think about the height of even a US pickup camper and the clearances of tunnels, overpasses, and bridges in Europe and Australia/NZ.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
GalaxyGirl wrote:
Hello all!
I'm new here ๐Ÿ™‚

I am in the process of researching RVs as I will be a full-timer soon. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with bringing your Rv across waters. I would like to have the option of bringing it to Europe, Ireland and even Australia would be fun. I am leaning toward a truck camper but haven't purchased yet, (so may change my mind). Any intercontinental travel experience? Wondering about cost to ship, campground/boondocking access or any other info that you would be willing to share would be appreciated.

GG

Biggest thing to remember is the Roads are just Smaller - so the big guys here just will not fit, least not unless you are are CDL type driver - IMHO buy big here - if you go there - buy small there - only exception might be the Sprinter - but again just where do you put everyone?

I've been doing this RVing thing for 50 years and seen maybe 10 percent of the country, so would really be hard to spend time in the RV in Another Country, JMHO. Walked the Great Wall and been to England and Europe, while they are beautiful Countries Just not the Good Old USA.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
GalaxyGirl wrote:
Thanks for the input! I would actually only have 2 of my kids in the camper. The other 3 will be college bound very soon. I suppose I would have to weigh the hassle and cost of bringing the camper abroad vs. rentals.

If I were you I would rent! I have DD, SIL and DGD that live In Ireland, while doable a big a$$ US full size pickup with left drive would not be fun on many Irish roads. While many are very nice, once off the main roads they are narrow and have little or no shoulder, in fact there might be a tall hedge or stone wall right at roads edge.
Also understand fuel prices in Ireland are about $5.00 to $6.00 US dollars a gallon.
The rental unit will be better sized and be right drive, this makes the transition to driving on the left side of the road easier. Will likely have a smaller diesel engine, and have a manual transmission.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

GalaxyGirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input! I would actually only have 2 of my kids in the camper. The other 3 will be college bound very soon. I suppose I would have to weigh the hassle and cost of bringing the camper abroad vs. rentals.