cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jeykll island campground

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
my wife and i won a free week at this campground, any info would be great. we have a 40 ft 5ver, i hear it can be tight. entrance to the island? beach to swim i hear is muddy? please any info.
8 REPLIES 8

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Timely information here! We will be stopping at Coastal Georgia RV park on our way back from Florida. Never been to Jekyll Island, but we plan to make a day trip there.

We too stay there for a week every year

Great local restaurants are

Iguanas Seafood Restaurant Saint Simon
B & J's Steaks and Seafood in Darien

B & J has a Buffet to die for on Friday and Saturday night - go early as it is a very very small place and it is packed
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
We camp there every year for Christmas for a couple of weeks. You will have no problem getting around in CG and if you ride bikes be sure to take them. Go eat at the Driftwood Bistro close to the campground. I can tell you a lot of great places to see if your interested just pm me.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
The campground is very nice, we just spent a few days there over Christmas. There were plenty of large rv's there so access isn't a problem.

Pets are welcome and it is pleasant place to walk. I do recommend using flea and tick control as ticks were in abundance.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timely information here! We will be stopping at Coastal Georgia RV park on our way back from Florida. Never been to Jekyll Island, but we plan to make a day trip there.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
One thing we noticed when there a few years ago was that folks cover their vehicle side mirrors with a bag due to some rather vain birds that look at their reflection and peck away. (Either they think it's another bird or don't like their own "bad-feather day".) ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Great write-up by mgirardo. We go to Jeykll Island for weekend getaways, but we don't stay at the CG there. We stay at the Hampton which allows pets.

That being said, I have driven through the CG, and it isn't my cup of tea. No privacy between spots and rather crowded. It could be OK as a base of operations to do the things mentioned by mgirardo - we have done them as well.

They have an excellent bike path so bring bikes if your into that. There is only one or 2 places good to eat - some bistro - can't remember the name, and the Westin Hotel's restaurant - oh, and the Club Hotel. We hung out at the bar one evening.

The historic district also has a pottery shop where they sell pottery made in the basement. Lots of sand dollars and sharks teeth can be found on the beach. The sea turtle rescue is a must-see.

Have fun - and tell us what you thought of the CG.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We love Jekyll Island, but we aren't huge fans of the campground. But if we had a free week, it would be worth it. We used to go to Jekyll a few times a month with the Motorhome. There are several large parking lots along the beach that we'd set up for the day. When they raised the annual price of a parking pass to get on the island for oversized vehicles, we stopped going as often. The pass went from $45/year to $90/year.

There is one causeway onto the island. You will need to purchase a week long parking pass, sorry I don't remember how much that is for an oversized vehicle. I want to say like $35 - $50. The toll booth will automatically determine the size of the vehicle. There are 3 toll lanes going onto the island. You'll have no trouble getting through them. They are usually unattended. Right now GA DOT is widening the causeway. We were there about 2 weeks ago and it was about 2 miles of one lane traffic. We got stuck for about 15 minutes waiting to get our turn to go. Not sure when construction is expected to be complete.

The one time we camped in the campground, we were up towards the front where the roads where plenty wide. Not sure about the rest of the campground though.

Although there is a beach across from the Campground, that's the Clam Creek Fishing Pier, it is actually an inlet, so you'd have to walk a little ways to get to the beach along the Ocean. If you walk south from the Pier you will get to Driftwood Beach, at one time rated one of he USA's most beautiful beaches. Just be mindful of the tide. The creek gets too deep to walk across at high tide. The first time we went there, we had to wade through chest deep water with our stroller and two little ones to get to safety. It was only ankle deep when we first crossed the creek.

There are several large parking areas along the beach. There are a couple small pavilions and a couple larger ones that can be used if they are not in use. The Ocean water does seem to be muddy. Locals will tell you it is high in nutrients. It's not clear like South Florida beaches. It doesn't help that Georgia Pacific has a pulp mill not far from Jekyll. You won't see it from the island, but it is about 5 miles up the river from the entrance to the island. You will be swimming with a variety of sea life. The surf on GA's beaches is very tame. At low tide you can walk out a long way before getting to deep water. Just keep in mind the tide moves in fast. Be aware of the change in tide and don't get stuck out on a Sand bar. At high tide it could be 8 feet deep or more. There are no life guards on Jekyll Island.

If all you want to do is relax on the beach, then you are all set. If you like to explore, you can spend maybe two days enjoying everything Jekyll Island has to offer. There are miles of biking and walking trails. On the island, there is the Sea Turtle Center and the Nature Center. The historic district is very nice to walk through and read up on the history of the Millionaire's Playground. Eat at least once in the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. We have done the tea there as well and it is nice.

I too would recommend St. Simons Island, just a few miles north on US 17 from Jekyll Island. There are several nice restaurants on St. Simons Island. There is also the Okefenokee Swamp about an hour away. Savannah is about an hour away as well. Tybee Island has a lighthouse you can tour. Tybee Island is a little further east of Savannah. St. Simons Island also has a small Light House you can climb. Old Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski National Monument are in Savannah and both are worth a visit.

Feel free to PM with more local info. We live about 15 minutes from Jekyll Island.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
I have not camped there for a few years. I do not remember it being tight to get in. We went there with a 32 foot travel trailer and there were some larger A's in the mix when we were last there, I did not hear anyone complaining about access.

The beach is not near the campground, you will need to drive to it. The campground is on the inland side of the island and the beach is on the other side.

There is a nice fishing pier across from the campground, fishing and crabbing is good there. We used to always be able to catch enough to eat.

Plenty to see and do in the old millionaires village. Also a side trip to St. Simons Island is a must.

Read up on the Golden Isles of Georgia, a lot of history. A free week, that is a good deal.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab