cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kartchner tours in Benson AZ?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
If we only do one of the tours, which is best? We are seniors without mobility issues. Not a lot of detail online. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
If we only do one of the tours, which is best? We are seniors without mobility issues. Not a lot of detail online. Thanks!

Not a lot of detail on line? Wow, I thought there was an abundance of pictures to look at. We have done all the tours and found them amazing, much more that Carlsbad. Carlsbad is a dead cave, nothing growing in it. Kartchner is still growing

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
It was cool. We had reservations and they suggested we show up early -- an unreasonable amount of time early.

It is worth seeing. The cave path is really paved and highly accessible for wheelchairs. I've never seen that much asphalt before and lack of steps in a cave. Air chambers between out side and inside, etc. They even have trams to take you up to the cave entrance.

We stopped here on the way to Tombstone. Make sure to eat at Mi Casa Restaurant in Benson. It's small so it will fill up but the food is amazing (check out yelp reviews).
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We gave the tours. For your first time do the Rotunda/Throne room. It's awesome!! Stay in the park itself - very nice scenery and big sites. The cave has a fascinating discovery and history. It is very much alive and still growing.

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/explore/facility-information
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
The Rotunda/Throne tour was more interesting and is the more popular tour. This tour is year round. The Big Room tour is open from Oct-April. It is closed the rest of the year because of Bat migrations. Both tours are excellent but Rotunda tour is my preference.

When in the area we prefer to stay at Tombstone Territories RV park rather than at Kartchner. Its out by itself in a very scenic high desert area. Huge sites and close to Tombstone and a few ghost towns.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
I grew up in southern New Mexico going to Carlsbad Caverns all the time. Kartchner Caverns are MUCH smaller and not as breathtaking.

While much smaller, Kartchner is alive and wet. I thought Carlsbad is dry, no longer active. Most dry caverns I've visited are dull, grey colors. Living caverns have brilliant colorful formations that glisten from the moisture. For me, I like them both for what each has to offer.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
We go pretty often and have done both. The Throne Room focuses more on the cave and the formations with topics on the path they took. To other tour to me focus more on the path they took and the animals (mostly bats) that use the caves.

We love them both and learn new things every time. For the first tour I would do the Throne Room, it edges out just a little more in beauty IMO.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We opted for the tour with the Throne Room a few weeks ago - it had what we wanted to see. Reserve your tickets on-line ahead of time or be prepared to show up at 8:00 at the Visitors' Center and take your chances. I grew up in southern New Mexico going to Carlsbad Caverns all the time. Kartchner Caverns are MUCH smaller and not as breathtaking. I thought the ticket prices were a bit steep for a 90 minute tour, as well.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015