cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kings Bay Sub Base

nomad2013
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for things to see or visit in the SE Georgia area.
Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Visit the little town of St Mary and check out the museum there.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch and Mgirardo -- All I can say is there is so much to do in that area. However, take plenty of bug spray. I was born in Brunswick in the late 1940s when Dad worked for the Port of Brunswick, and we moved to SC when I was three years old after he changed jobs. There were so many friends the family left behind, but we returned often for visits. I enjoyed St. Augustine the best with the big Fort facing the ocean, and seeing the oldest house built in the US by the Spanish. Trolleys run up and down the streets, and you can get off and on as you wish.

Get your gas or top off your gas before you roll into Florida from Georgia. It's cheaper in Georgia. We drove I-95 South about four weeks ago heading to Orlando and stopped off at the Kingsland, Georgia exit to fill up; the station we wanted was across the four-lane road from the exit, so we cruised on down the four-Lane until we made a U-turn. Bad decision, didn't see the "no U-turn" sign; therefore, we were stopped by a very nice police officer from Kingsland; she, of course, asked for license and registration, but I reminded my husband that both of us had to volunteer our concealed permits to her by law, whether we had "it" with us or not. She ended up giving us a warning ticket and said have a nice day, and we went on to the gas station. So, as you are pulling off into these towns along the interstate in South Georgia, watch out for the town policemen.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
magnusfide wrote:
Go to Tripadvisor.com and input the name of the nearest towns; it'll pop up all kinds of suggestions.

The two nearest towns are Kingsland and St Marys...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, Cumberland Island National Seashore and the Okefenokee Swamp. For the Okefenokee, you have a few options. Outside of Folkston is the National Wildlife Refuge which has Swamp Island Drive, which you will usually see Gators handing out on the side of the road and sometimes in the middle of it. You can stop along Swamp Island Drive and check out the Chesser Homestead and also the viewing platform that has a great view of a swamp prairie. You can also take guided swamp boat tours as well as rent kayaks (or use your own). You can also fish there too. Kayaking in the swamp is a surreal experience. If it was a little closer, I'd be there all the time to kayak. They also have lots of hiking trails throughout the refuge.

You can also visit Okefenokee Swamp Park in Waycross, GA. If you want to stay on the cheap, you can walk around and see some gators in a semi-natural setting. They also have a Viewing Platform (I think it is free) at the end of a 3/4 mile board walk, which is not as tall as the one in the Refuge and it is not as cool a view, but still nice to visit. If you don't mind spending some money, they also have guided boat tours, a guided train ride as well as a reptile house were you will learn about the swamp and then get to hold some swamp critters, turtles, snakes and yes a small alligator. You can purchase each separately or purchase all three. I can't remember if you save anything buying all three. I believe they offer a senior discount.

If you don't mind driving, about an hour south is St. Augustine, FL, which is definitely a must see, if you haven't visited before. There is so much to do in St. Augustine and every restaurant I've ever eaten at is great. Savannah, GA is about 90 minutes north, but I don't care for it as much as St. Augustine. If you go to St. Augustine and Savannah, go to Savannah first. Otherwise, you will be disappointed. Although, if you like Trains, Savannah has a nice Train Museum. There is also Old Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski. Tybee Island has a lighthouse.

Hope that helps.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to Tripadvisor.com and input the name of the nearest towns; it'll pop up all kinds of suggestions.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Crooked River State Park is pretty interesting - Just north of Kings Bay - lots of walking trails along the river.

Sub-base campground is pretty nice, ain't it?
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic