cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Levi Jackson & All Other Kentucky SPs; Never Again!

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
Well, about a month ago my wife and I along with another couple spent a few days at Levi Jackson State Park in London, Kentucky. We were not very pleased with our stay and after our return, I took the time to sent an email to the State of Kentucky using their system on their state park site. I waited for any type of response but got none. I am forced to believe that they have little interest in their state parks or what out-of-state visitors think of them. I posted a copy of my email below. Thought some here might be interested. These are just my impressions and the impressions of those traveling with me. If you feel that I am incorrect, that is fine as all are welcome to their opinion.

"On 10/2/16 my wife and I arrived at Levi Jackson State Park for a reserved, 4-night stay. We were on a 5-week trip with another couple and this was our second stop. If we had known what we were driving into, I believe we would have left.
We were assigned to two sites towards the back of the property. The other coupleโ€™s site (H14, I believe) was fairly easy to get into but not very level. Also, his power post was so far from his trailer and on the wrong side that he was fortunate to have an extension power line and an extra hose. Even at that, he was forced to run on 30 amps even though his trailer is equipped for 50 amps.
The site my wife and I were assigned (H13, I believe) was such that to get in, I had to twist the truck and trailer around a tree, leaving my truck off the pavement (what pavement there was). This left my truck so off level in comparison to the trailer that I refused to un-hitch, fearing I would not be able to re-hitch when preparing to leave the park. Of course, this left my trailer less than stable, allowing it to bounce and shimmy every time somebody moved inside it. Additionally, even though the water spigot for this site looks to have been recently rebuilt, there is a significant underground leak causing the area around it and my site to be constantly wet and muddy. It should be noted that both of the sites described were alleged to be โ€œpull-thruโ€.
On the day we were scheduled to leave (Friday), the park had a โ€œGarage Saleโ€ scheduled. By Thursday afternoon I was beginning to fear that I would have trouble getting out the next morning. This was due to an extensive influx of โ€œcampersโ€ coming in and setting up their wares for the next dayโ€™s sale. I am not accustomed to the idea of โ€œFlea Marketsโ€ being run inside of state parks. In my home state of Texas, this is not allowed and after seeing the results in one of your parks, I am truly glad that we do not.
These are just two of a number of complaints I have about this park. Fixing just these two would vastly improve it.
I looked at the park pictures you have on your site. If all of the park looked (and was) nearly as nice as those pictures portrayed (Section D), you would have something to be proud of. As it is, I canโ€™t see us ever returning to a Kentucky State Park."

As I said above, these are my views as expressed to the State of Kentucky. Others are welcome to their view of this park.

Hope all have a great Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems
32 REPLIES 32

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I certainly would not be happy to wake up in a state park with a garage sale going on. I can stay home for that.

Someone higher up probably isn't aware of what is going on at that park. Maybe that's why you didn't get a response because it was deleted.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't see why they owe you any kind of return corspondence whatsoever UNLESS someone is nice enough to do so. You had a list of issues and you made them aware of the problems. Their responsibility is to fix those that are credible, not treat the reporting party like they deserve a written report.

Boycott the entire state over one park and lack of personal treatment? Too bad for you.. Drive Around
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When reading 'reviews' of rv parks etc. I always disregard the ones with high praise and the ones that come across as 'complainers'

OPs post is an example of one that I would disregard when reading reviews.

Levi Jackson Site H14.......30A/pull-thru
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
So this guy goes to a state park in eastern Kentucky and complains that it's not level!!

Sad.
-jbh-

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at the Kentucky State Park at Dale Hollow Hollow twice and never encountered any issues like the OP. It is s very well managed park with both full hookup and partial hookup sites. On one occasion the grass was a little high at our site after we had been there a few days. They hadn't mowed around the site and the coax to our Tailgater was in their way. I mentioned it to the office and said I would unhook the cable . They mowed the area about an hour later.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with you! They should have canceled that flea market they always have for you even though it seems to bring in a good crowd and how dare they not respond to your e-mail. Of course I see no point in doing so as you already stated you would never come back again. What do you expect them to say? You didn't ask for anything. I guess you could go protest, That seems to be what everyone wants to do now. Grow up and enjoy camping! Life is to short!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Levi Jackson a number of times while visiting relatives in the area. Always found it to be well cared for and maintained. This past summer we also landed on a flea market weekend. It wasn't necessarily our thing, but those participating seemed to enjoy it. Sorry it wasn't a good experience for you.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never visited Levi Jackson SP, but have made it to many other Kentucky SPs. I have always enjoyed my stays, and tell people that the KY SP CGs are among the best to stay.

I hope the OP changes his tune, tries to camp at any of the 3 SPs near Land Between the Lakes, or Natural Bridge ( 3 of my favorites in KY). He won't be disappointed.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
When these state parks were built, they had a logistical challenge to run electricity, water, and sewage into some of these locations, following the path that made the most logical and economical sense, and also the least evasive disruption to the environment, to preserve the forest and trees surround the camp sites to give the visitor a sense of what it's like to really be in the forests, must like it was when our country was first settled.

If this is too much for the OP, or too challenging, or too rigorous, or too frustrating, or too disappoint, then maybe he is better off never going to Kentucky again. We live in a big country, there are plenty of other places to go that do not include the Smokey or Appalachian mountains. I think that would rule out Pennsylvania, New York, Main, and Vermont too and those states are highly mountainous too.

Well said!!!
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the OP has not traveled outside of Texas very much and experienced the diversity our country has to offer; diversity, especially in the many State Parks and how unique each one is, regardless of which state they are in.

There is a VAST difference in camp site spaces between the flats and openness of Texas and the hills and mountains of South Eastern Kentucky, just north of Tennessee and East of North Carolina, skirting the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, where campsites and campgrounds are built on ridges, hills, and valleys. It not uncommon at all for power plugs to be a distance from the actual campsite, for a water source to be one spigot for an entire campground section, for sites to be unlevel, tight, and have to maneuver through trees, windey roads, and hair pin turns.

If the OP does not want to experience this type of camping, they he should never venture into Kentucky, Tennessee, Southern Ohio, Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, Northern Georgia, or Virginia, because this is pretty typical of what can be expected.

I get criticized on these forums for carrying a considerable amount of lumber (not plastic Lynx), but lumber, to use under the tires of my camper for leveling, as high as 9 inches on one side, and having the front of the trailer tongue touching the ground and the rear bumper 5 feet in the air!

I get criticized for carrying 200 feet of garden hose so reach faucets when there is no water on site, and 200 feet of 30 amp RV electric cord for those times (I've HAVE) had to use it all.

When these state parks were built, they had a logistical challenge to run electricity, water, and sewage into some of these locations, following the path that made the most logical and economical sense, and also the least evasive disruption to the environment, to preserve the forest and trees surround the camp sites to give the visitor a sense of what it's like to really be in the forests, must like it was when our country was first settled.

If this is too much for the OP, or too challenging, or too rigorous, or too frustrating, or too disappoint, then maybe he is better off never going to Kentucky again. We live in a big country, there are plenty of other places to go that do not include the Smokey or Appalachian mountains. I think that would rule out Pennsylvania, New York, Main, and Vermont too and those states are highly mountainous too.

Some folks are just not meant to camp in mountains. The sparse, more open spaces of the Western parts of our country are more suitable. For other, the mountains are a way of life.

For me, I like the challenge exploring a new location, navigating the camper into a spot that seems impossible, and being self-sufficient enough to be able to get the camper level, stable, and usable. That is 99% of the fun of RVing... the challenge of set-up!

I'm REALLY sorry the OP had a bad experience, bad enough to complain to the State about things that can't be changes ... although I will admit ... the flea market is kind of weird. And if he chooses to boycott Kentucky, all I can say is, I really feel sorry for him, because he is missing out on some of the best camping he'll ever experience!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Means that there will be at least two more campsites available to all the rest of us. We have stayed at several Kentucky state parks over the years, and anve enjoyed all of them. Sure we have seen better in some places, but have also paid a lot more also . However I do agree that Kentucky could do a lot to improve their campgrounds. If the campground fees and money from the campgrounds went to the campgrounds instead of into the state politicans pockets, They could be some of the best. But, that is guvrmens.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, but when I have an issue and follow the supplier's route to correct that issue, I expect some sort or response. I posted here and will never return to Kentucky SPs due to their failure to respond to my email.

Quite frankly I don't understand what issues that need to be corrected......the flee market they have all the time that you were not aware of? How is that something that they need to correct? Or, you parked in a way that it was difficult to unhitch? Is that really their fault. What I don't get is why you think Kentucky State Parks staff is obligated to respond to you. So far, you have not raised any real significant issues. You just come across as a complainer. And as to your expectation for "some sort of response", you got it. Their response so far is 'no' response and that is just as much a type of response as any other kind of response. Maybe it is time for you to wear your big boy pants and not complain about things you did not do your homework on like the flee market and then complain that they have one.

Beginning in 2008 with the recession a few states could not keep some state parks and campgrounds open. Yet, Kentucky apparently did. I think that is great even if the campground is not up to your standards. Maybe an e-mail to Kentucky State Parks appreciating the parks even if in a slightly less than perfect condition might have been your better choice.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I go to the city to see the city. I go to the shore to see the shore and I go to the back woods to see the back woods. If you cut the trees and paved the roads it wouldn't be the back woods.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I posted here and will never return to Kentucky SPs due to their failure to respond to my email.

It's possible they still haven't even read it. How many emails do you think they see in a day? I'd try to contact them once more now that the season has wound down some. That's said, I think it's a huge overreaction. One experience at one park is not enough to judge the whole system. It more sounds like you are looking for an excuse to not go back.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
No, but when I have an issue and follow the supplier's route to correct that issue, I expect some sort or response. I posted here and will never return to Kentucky SPs due to their failure to respond to my email.

Have a great day!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems