cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

List of places to visit, recommendations?

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
The other day, DW decided to create a folder in her favorites to start saving websites of places we wanted to go when we start fulltiming. She then added folders for each state. Then she asked me what kind of places I wanted to visit. This has now snowballed into a list of general places to visit and she is researching state by state and adding the websites to her folders. We have about three years before we retire, so there's plenty of time for research. We've already discussed taking trips to Alaska and driving the length of the Trans Canadian Highway. Below is our list of places to see so far. If you can add another general topic, please do. Looking for more ideas. Thanks.

National Parks
National Memorials
Zoos
State Fairs
Whale Watching (DW's idea)
Scottish Highland Festivals (my idea)
Air Shows
Museums
Battlefields
Aquariums
TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu
22 REPLIES 22

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Africa for the migration. A trip down the Amazon. Snorkeling in the Galapagos Islands.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
We've been fulltiming for 20 years and haven't run out of places to see yet! It can be very confusing keeping track of everything so I started making Google maps - HERE

Feel free to download them and change them.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Light houses

Covered Bridges (these will get you off the beaten track and onto some beautiful back roads)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you REALLY like to see the world behind the windshield I would scratch off the Trans Canada highway UNLESS there are places along the way that you want to visit. Just driving for driving sake, with an RV, doesn't make sense.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
One thing we enjoy is local flavor. In Kentucky it was the bourbon trail; in Wisconsin, cheese; New Hampshire, Maple syrup; Virginia, wines. Every state has something they are known for. Sampling and buying to stock the fridge is a good diversion. Also, South Carolina low country food, Louisiana cajun, Maine lobster, North Carolina and Kansas BBQ...

Factory tours are also interesting.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
About 2-3 years before we retired, I had each state mail me their travel information. (I like paper copies for browsing) I then developed folders of each state similar to what you are doing. We added agri-tourism (wineries, breweries, farms/farmers markets, cheese, syrups...) Another area of interest for us, is shopping in renovated warehouses, factories, and even have found a couple of old hospitals..
Have fun planning I loved it, almost as much as traveling.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
State Parks! There are many beautiful parks, and most would not be as crowded as the National parks.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie