cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost Treasures & Other Cool Finds

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always find somethin' cool while out roaming God's Country. How 'bout you?

Here's somethin' cool I found recently. If you lost it too bad! Finders keepers!

40 REPLIES 40

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
On my first trip after I retired I found a antler from a small deer in Canada, I made a clothes rack with it in my bedroom. Since then I found a cowboy stirrup in Montana that I cleaned up and displayed, a horseshoe in Alaska, a set of large deer antlers in Tenn., and butterflies in Florida. When I look at the items I think about the trips. Also found alligator teeth, a wild pigs tusk, seashells, agates and crystals in my travels and other items but they are not on display.

Don't let dars see you doing that. You could get a real tongue
lashing. :B

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my first trip after I retired I found a antler from a small deer in Canada, I made a clothes rack with it in my bedroom. Since then I found a cowboy stirrup in Montana that I cleaned up and displayed, a horseshoe in Alaska, a set of large deer antlers in Tenn., and butterflies in Florida. When I look at the items I think about the trips. Also found alligator teeth, a wild pigs tusk, seashells, agates and crystals in my travels and other items but they are not on display.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's interesting that a personality profile my employer uses for new hires includes a question about how things make you feel. One of the examples involves another human breaking a "rule" and how angry that does or doesn't make you.
If you score that wrong you don't get hired. We are a public facing business, perhaps in manufacturing or ditch digging it wouldn't matter.
IE somebody needs a hug.
Puma 30RKSS

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
jwmII wrote:
darsben wrote:
Let me see a person who takes things that do not belong to them.
With the morals that state if you lose something or leave it in plain sight then I will take it and feel no remorse for you.
I will also take things that do not belong to me so others cannot have the joy of discovering it.and wondering how it got where it was and thinking about the history of it and talking with your children about it.

AS YOU SEE I OBJECT TO YOUR LACK OF CONSIDERATION OF OTHER PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.

My advice return it to where it has sat for the past 50-60 years or do you need the money that bad?

WOW!! Let me see a person with no room for imagination because he is so full of his definition of what is proper and improper that his mind split open and lost all of its marbles that are being further buried in the sand as lost artifacts.

Should you come across any of those lost marbles, be sure to leave them as they lay (or is that lie?) ๐Ÿ™‚

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Let me see a person who takes things that do not belong to them.
With the morals that state if you lose something or leave it in plain sight then I will take it and feel no remorse for you.
I will also take things that do not belong to me so others cannot have the joy of discovering it.and wondering how it got where it was and thinking about the history of it and talking with your children about it.

AS YOU SEE I OBJECT TO YOUR LACK OF CONSIDERATION OF OTHER PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.

My advice return it to where it has sat for the past 50-60 years or do you need the money that bad?

WOW!! Let me see a person with no room for imagination because he is so full of his definition of what is proper and improper that his mind split open and lost all of its marbles that are being further buried in the sand as lost artifacts.
jwmII

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder who collected them just to leave. Surprised scrappers haven't scavenged all of this stuff.
When scrap metal hit a high a few years ago a lot of old farm equipment and some pretty restorable cars and trucks in the woods around here went missing.
Puma 30RKSS

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of old places in the desert around here have "treasure piles", and are fun to pick at. I DO LEAVE it there, as what I might take, my Wife would promptly discard as an old can, or ugly bottle!

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
LMAO.

People amaze me! Guy finds an old rusty milk jug and there should be a morel delema about keeping it.

8 months back a guy post how he is going to clearly try and rip off a dealer where his RV which was on consignment was stolen, and that was no issue and defended.

World is messed up!

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 30 years ago whilst in the U.P., I was walking along an old logging railroad grade through the swamp. A USFS archaeologist was walking with me as we were using it as a convenient (and somewhat drier) path across the swamp. The grade no longer had rails, but did have old and rotten cedar logs that had been in place for probably 70 years, along with the occasional metal fasteners and rail spikes that once held the rails in place. The grade went on for many miles.

I bent down and picked up a railroad spike and was looking at it as we walked along. The archaeo finally noticed what I had done and began yelling at me for disturbing the spike and told me that I had to go and put it back exactly where I had found it.

Yeah, OK. Whatever.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Mother Nature in her finest.

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
A handyman we hired to build our fence told us that he was hiking nearby and kicked an odd looking rock. He picked it up and took it to the U of A in Tucson. Someone in the archeology department told him that he had found a Wooly Mammoth tooth. Then the guy handed it back to him and told him to make a display box and enjoy. He brought the tooth in to show us the next day. I've got a pic of it somewhere and will post it if I find it.

Murray Springs, a Clovis excavation site, is a couple of miles from our house: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Springs_Clovis_Site

Apparently, they don't need every tooth that's found. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
I bet the BLM folks have some "Relic Czar" that goes around tagging relics vs. garbage.... they just didn't get to your area yet LOL.

Enjoy your find ๐Ÿ™‚

Socal desert + milk can = cool

East coast + milk can = Everyone's Grandma's backyard, plus a few municipal landscapes

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry Campbell wrote:
A story of trash and treasure.
Once upon a time when I was much younger I was in the mountains of northern NM. walking in the desert and came upon an area of broken glass and old tin cans. It looked like someones old garbage pile from years gone by. There was a little piece of dark colored felt sticking out of the ground. I kicked at it but it would not come out of the ground. I kicked more but no go so I dug it up to see what it was. It was an old black cowboy hat. I took it back to the place where I was staying and layed it out by the side of the house. That night it rained like crazy. The next day I happened to look at it and it had returned to it's original shape and looked great AND it fit me perfectly. When it dried out I wore it.
There was an old man who they called the ditch rider. He was in charge of maintaining the irrigation ditches for the little town. He saw me walking one day wearing the hat and came up to me and said, That's my hat, I lost that hat in a wind storm more that 40 years ago. I tried to give back to him but he wouldn't take it. He said it was my turn now.
Jerry

That my friends, is a cool story. Thanks Jerry!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry Campbell wrote:
A story of trash and treasure.
Once upon a time when I was much younger I was in the mountains of northern NM. walking in the desert and came upon an area of broken glass and old tin cans. It looked like someones old garbage pile from years gone by. There was a little piece of dark colored felt sticking out of the ground. I kicked at it but it would not come out of the ground. I kicked more but no go so I dug it up to see what it was. It was an old black cowboy hat. I took it back to the place where I was staying and layed it out by the side of the house. That night it rained like crazy. The next day I happened to look at it and it had returned to it's original shape and looked great AND it fit me perfectly. When it dried out I wore it.
There was an old man who they called the ditch rider. He was in charge of maintaining the irrigation ditches for the little town. He saw me walking one day wearing the hat and came up to me and said, That's my hat, I lost that hat in a wind storm more that 40 years ago. I tried to give back to him but he wouldn't take it. He said it was my turn now.
Jerry

Wow ... that is SOME story!

Reminds of the fella who lost something in the woods (a ring, I think) and years later found it in the stomach of a deer he killed while hunting.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C