cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Entertaining the idea of going to Michigan (from Charlotte, NC area) in July for a week. We would like to start off with a short stop in Ann Arbor (maybe one day at most) and then go and see was much as possible. Not really looking to go and stay in one place for the entire week. 2 or 3 places would be ok as long as we could use them as anchor points and then use the car to explore a little.

Any recommendations?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
21 REPLIES 21

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Great state but we prefer state parks and Mich. really sticks it to out-of-staters so much that it is a factor in our decisions. Also, many northern state park campgrounds we find short on amenities especially for the cost.
Jayco-noslide

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Bubtoofat wrote:
Ann Arbor is OK when but be careful of all the one way streets downtown. I lived there for 7 years and still never really got used to them.

Since you'll be so close to Dearborn, a trip to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village would be nice. CLICKY.

And by the way, Brian, what are the Smoky Mountains like in April? Are things turning green and blooming that time of year or are things still pretty much brown and leafless? My wife will be down there the week after Easter.

Mike

April is a beautiful time in the Smokies. The amount of green varies with elevation, but by Easter there should be some even at the highest elevation. It's peak wildflower season.

Be prepared for some rain, possibly thunderstorms, and possibly some cool days (again, variable with elevation.)
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Ann Arbor is OK when but be careful of all the one way streets downtown. I lived there for 7 years and still never really got used to them.

Since you'll be so close to Dearborn, a trip to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village would be nice. CLICKY.

And by the way, Brian, what are the Smoky Mountains like in April? Are things turning green and blooming that time of year or are things still pretty much brown and leafless? My wife will be down there the week after Easter.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Traverse City in early July for the Cherry festival.

Sleeping Bear Dunes

Interlochen State Park - There is a youth music camp right next door, and the campers are excellent musicians. They offer concerts for the public.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations?

Sure. What would you like to do? We have everything except mountains.

I know dozens of boondock sites along the river. Remote (secluded) park n ride (carpool) sites, sports (fishing access) sites, municipal and county parks, etc.

We have hundreds of miles of bike and hike trails. (google border to border trail) These trails also have scattered parking.

Canoeing/ fishing. Canoe rental along a great stretch of river fishing.

What else could you want? one day may not be enough.

For the remainder of the state, I have limited info, mostly sports access and boondock sites in the eastern, lower areas.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it was me, I would head to the UP. But that's because I like hiking, nature, waterfalls, canoeing, light houses, etc.; and can still go to the beach, museums, Soo Locks, Mackinac Island, etc. But it is a long drive from the UP back to NC. If we knew something about what you wanted to do, that would be helpful.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not going to give recommendations as that will change based on how far you want to drive and what you want to see. I did 54 waterfalls in 17 days in the UP.

If you plan on making State Park reservations the dates open up 6 months prior. I have all of ours paid through September.

Others will be able to give suggestions based on what you like to see. Plenty of nature, cities, museums, brewery's, etc.

Great state and enjoy the trip
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi