cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobile to Tallahassee, things to see and do?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I were thinking of spending 2 or 3 days along the Florida Panhandle's coastline. Amazingly, she has never yet seen the ocean, so we would like to change that. Coming from OK and planning to hit the coast at Mobile, then proceed eastward as far as Panacea (S. of Tallahassee). The 'forgotten coast' sounds like our type of area.

But there's more to a day than just walking/sitting on the beach. Those of you who've been to that area, what would you suggest? Other than the general coastline, state parks and Bellingrath Gardens, I don't know of much. Do you have any favorite spots? We don't like big crowds, but she's up for some short, easy walks. We like scenery, maybe a bit of wildlife, and maybe a bit of shopping.

Oh, one more thing, she really wants to try a Cuban sandwich. I'm sure there have to be a couple of Cuban restaurants in there somewhere.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point
19 REPLIES 19

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Now my wife has decided she doesn't want to go. And I'm seeing days of clouds and/or rain for the time I could go; I prefer to see blue water when possible. So, looks like the trip is off for now. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You can easily carry four foot draft safely along the marked "Intracoastal" around the Big Bend from Anclote to Carrabelle but that's the long way and can be mighty choppy to downright dangerous in a southwesterly gale. I prefer straight across too. It's been quite a while.

Many years ago I once got "misplaced" and found myself among the old guano platforms in fading light; that was a bit unnerving. LOL

But we digress...
-jbh-

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:

This area of the Gulf from Bald Point eastward around to Clearwater Beach is a low-energy part of the Gulf because rather shallow water extends far offshore; that's why beaches are rare.

Yup, too shallow to take a sailboat for sure.

So we always cross from Aplach to Tarpon Springs,Clearwater Beach or right into St Pete. It is an overnight crossing.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
What I'd do is stay at St. George Island. Note that you'll need to drive or long bike ride to the beach at St. George; the CG is on the bay side.

There are many restaurants etc on St.George. http://seestgeorgeisland.com/

Go across the bridge to Apalach for the day.

St. Joe SP is by the beach but there's pretty much nothing else out there other than vacation homes; it's _way_ out.

From Panacea take day trips to Wakulla Springs SP, the great restaurant at Spring Creek and down to the lighthouse (can't go inside) through the St. Marks NWR. You can get some more beach in down Mashes Sands road at the bridge on the north side of Ochlockonee Bay at the quick-rip store.

This area of the Gulf from Bald Point eastward around to Clearwater Beach is a low-energy part of the Gulf because rather shallow water extends far offshore; that's why beaches are rare.
-jbh-

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always been partial to the name of Sopchoppy :c
Miccosukee too (northeast of Tallahassee).

Carrabelle, Sopchoppy, Miccosukee and the areas in between (except Tallahassee) still resemble Old Florida which is why we prefer to camp there instead of the overdeveloped tourist spots. It's more our style.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Remote is good. Nice low camping fee at Hodge, too. Saw some pics and I like it.
Mike G.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Ochlockonee River State Park on US 319 between Carrabelle and Sopchoppy and/or Myron Hodge City Park at Sopchoppy. ORSP is on the Ochlockonee River, beautiful and remote. MHCP is on the Sopchoppy River. lizzie

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
East of the Pensacola area, these are your beaches..

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/St-Joseph

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/St-George-Island

Be sure to spend at least half a day wandering around Apalachicola; that half-day should include several lunches and dinners LOL. Go to Boss Oyster.

Here's a nice waterfront CG at Ochlockonee Bay, just south of Panacea...

http://www.holidaycampground.com/

I wasn't impressed with Ho Hum, which is just a crushed shell parking lot.
-jbh-

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
edited see following
-jbh-

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
Dr Quick wrote:
Mobile has the USS Alabama, a submarine and a Black Bird aircraft.
Pensacola has a Navy base with a airplane museum, that that also has an I Max theatre.

NAS Pensacola has the Naval Aviation Museum. It is free and well worth a half day. Depending on the timing of your visit, you may be able to watch a Blue Angels practice. The museum has a great section on WW II life on the homefront.

Destin has the most beautiful beaches but I wouldn't go there between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Not sure of your timing.

We found the naval museum to be very worthwhile and we are not museum people. If you go, take one of the guided tours. The volunteers are anxious to tell you interesting stories and that is better than reading a lot of signs on the displays.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
Dr Quick wrote:
Pensacola has a Navy base with a airplane museum, that that also has an I Max theatre.

NAS Pensacola has the Naval Aviation Museum. It is free and well worth a half day. Depending on the timing of your visit, you may be able to watch a Blue Angels practice. The museum has a great section on WW II life on the homefront.

Destin has the most beautiful beaches but I wouldn't go there between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Not sure of your timing.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
This is right on the Gulf. We're staying there the end of Jan.

Ho Hum

In the same town as this cg is the Crooked River Lighthouse - Carrabelle, FL. You can climb to the top on Saturdays and Sundays at this one.

Herself and I do themed trips: one year we did a light house trip in which we visited as many light houses as possible along our route. Many had museums or let you climb to the top.

This Florida Big Bend Scenic Byway site lists others things to see and do in that area. Use the drop down menus to find other things to do like the different byway driving routes in the Forgotten Coast.

There's also a Fort and Lighthouse Tour HERE.

The Things to Do link at HoHum cg website http://www.hohumrvpark.com/links.html
lists a number of interesting options including the Gulf Specimen Marine Lab if your wife would really like to investigate the flora and fauna of the ocean.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Some helpful ideas, thanks. We're looking at going between Christmas and New Year's.
Mike G.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Quick wrote:

2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)