cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt. Rushmore Is open

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Mt Rushmore is open. SD Governor Daugaard has pledged to pay federal costs to reopen the monument.
17 REPLIES 17

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
shakyjay wrote:
fickman wrote:
I don't want a political debate, though. It is sad that the residents of the states are essentially being double taxed for these parks to reopen. . . triple charged if they show up and pay fees to get in.

Most if not all of the states in question have been receiving more in Federal funds than what they pay back in. Not saying that makes the situation right. Just putting a little different perspective out there.

I believe you say about the states getting more than they put in.

That brings up the question of what states are getting LESS than they put in? Sounds like they are getting the short end of the stick!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
fickman wrote:
I don't want a political debate, though. It is sad that the residents of the states are essentially being double taxed for these parks to reopen. . . triple charged if they show up and pay fees to get in.

Most if not all of the states in question have been receiving more in Federal funds than what they pay back in. Not saying that makes the situation right. Just putting a little different perspective out there.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty easy for me:
- The Constitution says exactly what the Federal government is allowed to do
- It reserves everything not listed for the states and the people
- It never mentions national parks

I understand the pragmatic consideration for wanting the Feds to own it, but the philosophical case isn't there.

DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
The Western public lands belonged to the federal government before the states existed. Just sayin'.
Stu
Jayco King 8 PUP (1986-2014 - RIP, little friend :()

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
kfp673 wrote:
fickman wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
They should belong to the states anyway.

Agree.

Totally disagree! All it would take is for one really over the top crazy state politician to win a vote and they could destroy some of these monuments without the rest of us having any say.

X2. Too much temptation to use the resources for the benefit of the state without consideration of the country.

I agree with disagreeing, but did not want to start a political argument. While not a national monument, here is a case in point:

http://www.invw.org/article/benton-harbor-michigan-1280
Roaming Full Timer

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Mt. Rushmore is a special case. The parking facility was built and is owned by private citizens, so they don't answer to the Feds. Mt. Rushmore itself, is NP property, but it isn't like it needs daily attention. They could close the restaurant and close the entrance at night because of the lighting ceremony. They're both Federal, but the heads don't move and frankly, they're easily visible from outside the NP property.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
fickman wrote:
nevadanick wrote:

Agree.

Totally disagree! All it would take is for one really over the top crazy state politician to win a vote and they could destroy some of these monuments without the rest of us having any say. With that said, I do feel the states should have more say in the matter. For example, Washington should not be deciding if ATV's should be legal in a national forrest in Oregon. They have no clue

X2. Too much temptation to use the resources for the benefit of the state without consideration of the country. Even now, these states are finding the money, in tight budgets, to reopen these closed facilities. Why? Not for the benefit of the guy who wants to visit from across the country, but for the benefit of the state's citizens. Not that there is anything wrong with that, in this situation. In fact, its admirable. But if the state owned and operated those parks independently? It becomes "we'll manage it to our benefit, no matter what tourists from 3 states away want". One only has to look to wildlife management in the northern Rockies for examples.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
fickman wrote:
nevadanick wrote:

Agree.

Totally disagree! All it would take is for one really over the top crazy state politician to win a vote and they could destroy some of these monuments without the rest of us having any say. With that said, I do feel the states should have more say in the matter. For example, Washington should not be deciding if ATV's should be legal in a national forrest in Oregon. They have no clue

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Mt Rushmore is open. SD Governor Daugaard has pledged to pay federal costs to reopen the monument.

HLN is reporting this morning that it will be open for a week or so, due to limited state funds.

Other news sources state that the Florida governor will NOT use state funds to reopen. He feels that the taxpayers of Florida should not support the bickering in Washington.

There are valid points on both sides of the argument.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:

Agree.
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

applegater
Explorer
Explorer
You could add National forests to that list as well!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
............- these parks are national treasures, and belong to all of us.

Really doesn't feel that way with all the closures.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
nevadanick wrote:

Never, ever belong to the states - these parks are national treasures, and belong to all of us.

You appear to be from the North East. Wonder if you'd feel the same way if 80% or more of your home state was "owned" and controlled by the Federal Government as it is with most of the western states. I agree with the original poster, the parks should be owned and run by the states, not the Feds.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
nevadanick wrote:

Never, ever belong to the states - these parks are national treasures, and belong to all of us.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic