cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multi-purpose vehicle?

rvit
Explorer
Explorer
Goal - To have a runabout vehicle for both in and outside of CG. We love golf carts, rent them every chance we get, but can't bring one with us. While we love being nimble in our 22' MH and use it to its full advantage, there are times when we can't get close enough to our chosen destination.

Enter the rear mounted scooter. I'm not talking about the 50cc ones that don't need to be registered. Street legal, registered, and capable of carrying 2 riders easily at 50 mph. But small at 150cc, liquid cooled, and quiet.

Other than the occasional "It's my CG and I'll decide what's a scooter" kind of owner, it should be allowed right? I see people drive their toads to the pool, store, and laundry all the time. Should be the same thing.

All comments appreciated
13 REPLIES 13

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Sun City here in Austin, and I've seen street-legal super golf carts on the four lane main road going 40 MPH. I don't know if it's safe, but it's street-legal and can't be worse than my Harley. Prolly wouldn't weigh 2000 pounds with trailer.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see Vespas used as gadabouts by those with small motorhomes frequently. Vespa makes a 300 cc engine as well. Always wear a helmet, have a license tag on it, and if anyone asks, tell them you're really Gregory Peck and and Audrey Hepburn re-enacting "Roman Holiday" :c
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

rvit
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly what I want to know. I have been in parks where they don't allow motorcycles at all and ones that don't allow the little scooters. I have not come across a cruising around restriction but it makes sense. I can't imagine towing a car when I only have a 22 footer. My bathroom goes with me every time. This is about going to dinner not driving the Blue Ridge Parkway.

rvit
Explorer
Explorer
I think since a car can come and go as it pleases in a CG then so can a street legal scooter as long a it follows the same rules. Large CGs usually have parking spaces for cars near the major amenities.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You would get a lot more use out of towing a car. You could explore those awesome forest roads to a beautiful lake or stream. You could tour the surrounding area with better fuel mileage than your RV. You wouldn't have to worry about being on a cycle in inclement weather. You wouldn't have to secure the RV just to do some grocery shopping, etc.

We've been in many parks where it's stated you can use a cycle coming and going but you can't just tool around the park with one.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you asking if it's permitted to drive around the campground? That would entirely depend on the campground's policies. Legally, a scooter of that size is a motorcycle, and generally can go anywhere a motorcycle is permitted to go.

I would think that some campgrounds might take a dim view of taking a motorcycle on what are mostly pedestrian walkways, even if they allow golf carts or bicycles on them. I don't think I've seen many people driving toads to campground pools or shower houses, but that may just be the campgrounds I've stayed at rather than a general rule.

(Even though I recognize that there are great differences in visibility to other drivers, I find it a bit amusing how many posters are worried about a scooter's ability to maintain speed going up hills or around tight corners. There are plenty of hills that my class C cannot maintain the speed limit going up, and I don't feel that it's unsafe for that reason.)

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of scooters that those roads are fine for, just not the size scooter you are looking at. Scooter manufacturers are in the business of selling, ignore any claims that it's suitable for 2 people until you've been on it with 2 people and made sure it's got enough power to get you were you want to go safely.

Good luck and stay safe
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

rvit
Explorer
Explorer
What you are describing doesn't sound suitable for a scooter at all and we would certainly not use it in that situation. We are 3 years into RVing with our 22 footer and are used to having it with us at virtually every attraction. We fit in a regular parking spot. But there are times and places where RVs are not allowed or convenient no matter how short they are. The idea is to have an alternate form of transportation that doubles as a 2 wheel golf cart.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
rvit wrote:
There are a few higher output 150's that can handle 2up riding, but it's main use would be for short local trips like dinner or a nearby attraction. No intention of using it on highways.
I'm not talking about highways, twisty mountain roads with steep inclines and tight turns. Out here in the west many of the nearby attractions are on roads just like that.

IMO if it can't legally get on a highway, it's not going to get out of it's own way after a tight turn into a steep grade carrying 300# (just a guess on weight of course). A scooter has low visibility already, combine that with distracted drivers (gawking at the sights) on tight mountain roads where visibility around turns is limited.
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
braindead0 wrote:
I wouldn't want to put 2 people on a 150cc scooter, unless you are both very very small or only intend to travel in the flatlands. It'd be dangerous up in the mountains with 2 people on a scooter that can't keep up with traffic, lots of blind turns and distracted drivers.

You ought to see the Likker Cicles around here. They are dangerous any where.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rvit
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few higher output 150's that can handle 2up riding, but it's main use would be for short local trips like dinner or a nearby attraction. No intention of using it on highways.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want to put 2 people on a 150cc scooter, unless you are both very very small or only intend to travel in the flatlands. It'd be dangerous up in the mountains with 2 people on a scooter that can't keep up with traffic, lots of blind turns and distracted drivers.
2013 Econ 16RB TT

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Some States require 50cc bikes to be licensed and insured so be sure to check the States you plan on using them. Also the helmet law is also enforced.
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab