cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My experience in Nuevo Progreso Mexico

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
I had an incredible experience I would like to share.

Monday 9 of us spent the day in Nuevo Progreso Mexico. Stocking up on medications, pedicures, manicures, haircuts, etc

Our pharmacy, Jessica's, offers free margarita's and has entertainment. Before we knew it we had spent an hour or so there. Had many laughs and so much fun with our friends who work there. I took several pictures of the good times.

We then proceeded to the nail salon to have mani's/pedi's and some waxing done. They also serve free margaritas.
Next stop was to meet the men for lunch at the new Italian Restaurant we had heard about. Delicious!
I went to take more photo's and at this point I realized my camera was no longer in my bag.

By this time it was past 5:30 and most of the places were closing for the day. We rushed back to the pharmacy and they said it was not there.

We came on home knowing there wasn't a chance in #%ll of ever seeing my camera again.

Yesterday 5 of us decided to go back to Mexico to finish up some shopping. First stop was Jessica's pharmacy again. They remembered us and knew we were still looking for the camera. They also said that if it was left at a business I would definitely get it back. I kind of took that with a grain of salt (no margarita this time). I thought it was odd they felt so confident of all the business owners in this small Mexican town.

Next stop was the nail salon. I sort of thought it may have been taken out of my bag when I was in the waxing room with my eyes closed having my eyebrows waxed.

When I asked them about the lost camera they all started smiling and reached high on a shelf behind the cash register and retrieved my camera!! To say I was shocked is an understatement!! They were as happy to return it to me as I was to get it back!
When we returned to the pharmacy to retell the story they were not surprised. The pharmacist said they are very good people in this town!! I said I am not so sure it would be the same outcome in most cities in the US. He said I realize that I am from Tennessee.
So when people ask if we feel safe going into Mexico... I will continue to say yes in Nuevo Progreso Mexico we always feel safe!!

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore
9 REPLIES 9

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I spend my winters in the Harlingen, TX area and Nuevo Progreso Mexico is highly recommended as the place to go in Mexico.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago DW left her wallet on a pharmacy counter in Progresso and remembered it an hour later. Went back and the owner had taken it for safe keeping and a clerk went to his house to have him bring it back to us at the store. Not a dollar was missing. Great people in Progresso.

pops

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Shirley - what a great experience and an excellent write-up! Thanks. Progresso IS a great little town that serves great margaritas. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Also the street vendors never hassle you. If you say "no thank you" they stop. The little kids that try to sell you Chiclets go away with just a simple "no gracious." So odd to me for in other parts of the world which we've traveled it is not the case.

Wouldn't it make for a good fictional action book if it really wasn't just plain nice people in a poor little border town, but was actually a well ran drug operation that was using it to laundry drug money. Much like how Las Vegas was in it's hay day. The locals knew if they upset the tourist, there would be a price to be paid by the kingpin who ran the town. So no matter how drunk you were, no one would ever take advantage of you regardless how poor they were and how much food that camera could have bought.

I do know for a fact that when we went to an INS meet and greet presentation in Brownsville the agent who was giving it said he would never let any of his friends or family go over there. He was very adamant about it, have no idea why he was so set in his ways.

I myself never felt unsafe there this last winter (our first time over there, only on main street) and enjoyed the time immensely with our friends. There's nothing like having that last margarita sitting outside in the sun prior to walking back over the bridge after a full day of shopping, drinks, lunch, and laughs. It is so sad though to see the people begging for spare change threw the bridge railings on the Mexico side though. Some of those kids were so small and dirty from living outside.

For us it's all about having a fun time out with neighbors in an unique shabby/chic environment where the locals are happy and happy to see you. The savings we got there was only slightly better then when we did some well spent shopping in the RGV (excluding medication and dental which we didn't do.)
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
To put things in perspective, I was in a chain drug store in the northeast recently and watched as a salesman desperately searched for his laptop. He had it on the counter, using it to fill an order for the store. He walked away for a moment to get something from his vehicle, and it was gone by the time he returned.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar experience there a few years ago. Sue was paying for a purchase and her passport dropped out of her purse & she did not notice that it had dropped. The store owner or manager sent a young employee up and down the streets looking for us but did not find us. The next day we went back for a dentist appointment and this young employee recognized Sue from the passport photo and with a huge smile approached us holding up her passport. He got a very nice tip. I am sure it would have fetched a good price on the black market but they kept it in effort to track us down. The store it was left at was the Galeria and they get our business each time we return to Nuevo Progreso. Lots of good folks there and it is always fun to visit.
pawatt

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel safe enough in Progreso,.....for getting my dental implants. Also, IMO it's safe enough to go feast on lobina negra (al mojo de ajo).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
If there are NO PICTURES.... it did not happen.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so where are the pictures???
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X