cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My First Winter In Yuma

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Well we just returned from our first winter in Yuma.
We rented a spot in the Foothills on a private lot.
This venture had its pros and cons.
For the pros:
We got a chance to check out various RV parks/resorts. This was good to get a first hand look and discussion.
We got the opportunity to get familiar with Yuma and the Foothills.
Found a very good fitness center.
Had good grocery shopping and fuel prices.
The rent on the place was very reasonable for power, water and sewer.
Found a couple good RV supply stores which helped out our stay.
Saw a couple good car shows.

For the cons:
Made to long of a commitment (5 months).
Staying on the private lot turned out to be very boring. Being at a park/resort with the amenities, people and activities would have been better.
Decided to drive back home (Alberta) for Christmas which turned out to be a challenge weather wise.
Sure can get windy with that darn blowing sand.

If we decide to go back south next winter (good Lord willing), I might look at the Mesa area? I think there would be more to do around that area?
If anyone can provide me with some personnel preferences for the Mesa area, please do so.
Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say what your hobbies are, what do you do at home to keep from getting board? We have been Snowbirds for six years now but we move every few weeks so we always have new places to go.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Tucson area, and Desert Trails.
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I know you said the Mesa area, but if you are still looking around, check out Desert Trails RV Park out of Tucson. Many activities and friendly people. We liked it so much that we decided to move from OR to Green Valley, AZ. Green Valley isn't Desert Trails, or even very close, but it is still the Tucson area and a great place to live.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We're going to be at The Resort in Mesa next year. Been there before and liked it. For a more resort experience, across the road is Valle del Oro.

Lots of other resorts out in the country nearby.