cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Niagara Falls, Canada and are looking to plan a week long trip to Myrtle Beach in July.

We have two boys. 9 and 7 years old. I have read a lot about the options in Myrtle Beach but cannot decide where to book.

I know for sure that I want Resort Style. For reference last year we went to Lake George and stayed at Lake George RV park. We loved it. The prior year we went to Ocean City, MD and stayed at Castaways but left thinking there was not enough to do there and that we should have stayed at Frontier Town.

This is our longest trip so far so we really want to make it memorable. I think I've narrowed to the big 3.

Based on our past trips and what we like which would you recommend and why?

Ocean Lakes?
Myrtle Beach Travel Park?
Pirateland?

I am open to other options as well but need full hookups and lots to do for the boys.

We will be in 29ft travel trailer.

Thanks
59 REPLIES 59

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
HydrogenCyanide wrote:
Wow. Lots of options and so many different opinions. I assume all of these campgrounds have nature shows, crafts and activities for kids?

By the sounds of it as far as sites go if we want concrete we should go ocean lakes, large sites would be pirateland and smaller crowded sites Lakeland?

No Lakewood has large sites in the beach area, as does Pirateland. Ocean Lakes has the smaller sites, but are paved, and are all pull thru. O L, and MBTP also have the very BEST bath houses of any of the others. Something that is always at the top of my list.

And I have never heard of Lake Wood locking the gates. We stayed there 5 or 6 times. They ALL have guards at the gate. Lake Wood also has Bible School for the kids, IF you want it. Their Christianity is in NO way forced on any one. But that is just one activity that is offered. they also have "High Steppin Country" a show in a large covered auditorium every night. PirateLand offers crafts for the kids. Not sure what OL, and MBTP offer in the way of special activities for kids.

As I said Apache is dated, and the sites are not huge, but they are the only ones with a pier, and dancing on the pier every night.
in truth, you can't really go wrong at any of them.

But you will need to start calling NOW.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
My personal choice would be MBTP. Yes, the reduced # of golf carts is my first pro, but my second is the proximity of the pool to the beach. At Pirateland, you're either close to one or the other. If you go oceanside and it's too cold to hit the beach, the pool is quite the hike. If you park near the pool and it's a beautiful day to hit the beach, same thing.

If you like the golf carts, be prepared to have to deal with the morons who like to drive around the park playing their music as loud as it can go, thinking that everyone is enjoying their music. Golf cart rentals usually don't have the bells and whistles like a radio, but the permanent residents who buy their carts do.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
And at Pirateland you don`t need to park your car/truck under your awning and in front of your door!

Unless you get an Oceanside site... been there, done that.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
And at Pirateland you don`t need to park your car/truck under your awning and in front of your door!

Never had to do that at Ocean Lakes....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Lakes has a good web site you can go through the process of seeing what sites ares available, making reservations on line but not actually make them unless you want to. The web site will tell you if there are trees or other issues with the sites. We made our last Julys reservations back in July. Never seen out of control golf carts at Ocean in 20 years other than maybe an isolated incident but everyone has an opinion. Is it quiet no. But it is during quiet hours. There are a lot of golf carts the entire complex in around 300 acres. All sites are pull thrus.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Well here's one vote for "None of the above". I've seen lots of kids in the age group having great times at MB state park and Huntington Beach state park. The latter with limited full hookups though. They are great places to camp, wonderful beaches, nature trails, spaces have good separation, and all the shopping and amusements are not too far away. Many sites provide good shade to help keep things cool in the hot July weather. Bring their bikes and they can get plenty of exercise.

Amen.I grew up in the 50's and early 60's in a family that couldn't afford to take a real vacation.When our kids grew up we always stayed at state or federal parks and our kids always had plenty to do.Last Christmas we stayed at Huntington Beach SP.Short walk to the beach,nature walks and talks every day. Not far from some very nice restaurants.But,to each their own.

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Before booking at Lakewood consider the fact that they lock the gate every night. I can't remember if it is at 10:00 or 11:00. I stayed there once and was locked out and could not drive back to my camper. We have stayed at Pirateland, Myrtle Beach Travel Park, Lakewood and Ocean Lakes. We prefer Ocean Lakes for the ease of access and the pull through sites, the concrete sites are really nice too.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard any real complaints about any of them, except one has out-of-control golf carts, Pirateland maybe, henceforth my original comment. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. I think at this point in time just pick one and book it, otherwise you may wind up without a place at all. Possibly find the one with the most liberal cancellation policy and keep researching. That way you've got a site but can switch it if something else suits your fancy better.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that the water slides at Lakewood look really cool too.

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Lots of options and so many different opinions. I assume all of these campgrounds have nature shows, crafts and activities for kids?

By the sounds of it as far as sites go if we want concrete we should go ocean lakes, large sites would be pirateland and smaller crowded sites Lakeland?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you need a year In Advance to get the site you want!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
PirateLand is our favorite, and we have stayed in all of them. Our preference list goes like this. PirateLand, Myrtle Beach Travel Park, Lake Wood, Ocean Lakes, and then Apache.

Apache is in a great location, and has the widest beach, But is out dated. Ocean Lakes campsites are too small, and too crowded, but does have express check in. Lake Wood, well Lake Wood is fine, we just like PL better. And MBTP is really good as well, just harder to get into the area you want. PirateLand has huge sites, and has better security. It is somewhat quieter than the other 2 in South MB.

Thing is. IF you are wanting to go this summer. You may not have a choice which one you stay at. You will probably have to take what ever you can get. We made our July 15 reservations while we were there last July 14, and still could not get the site we really wanted. Myrtle Beach Campgrounds fill up fast, and most make reservations 18 months out.

But, do call, and keep calling, as there may be cancelations
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Lakes is our favorite hands down because alot for kids to do. We go because of the golf cars & enjoy being able to use it. It is huge with nearly 900 sites & they will be nearly full during the summer months. Been going over 20 years & never had any close calls with the golf carts.
Security is really cracking down on issues with kids carts & I understand there is a new push this year. You must be 16 with a lisc. to operate one.