cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National Park Vandal

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know Casey Nocket? The feds are looking for her.

From Modern Hiker;

Apparently she is a New Yorker who went on a great western adventure this summer. She considers herself an artist and was having such a great time she decided to vandalize many of OUR National Parks.

Personally I wish that I would have met her on the trail while she was practicing her 'art'.

If you want to search the net, you will find a huge amount of information. Here are a couple pages to get you up to speed on the subject.

http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/instagram-artist-defaces-national-parks/

http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/23/why-the-creepytings-national-parks-vandalism-is-a-big-deal/
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900
69 REPLIES 69

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope they make an example out of her to discourage others.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, Thunder Mountain, I saw something on that as well. What, in God's name, are these people thinking or not thinking? It is this Me, me, me narcisstic mode of life these days, I guess.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just saw this on MSN from Associated Press:

SALT LAKE CITY โ€” The National Park Service says it has found more graffiti in some of the West's most scenic locations in a case that sparked an uproar on social media last week.

Investigators also say they suspect 21-year-old Casey Nocket of New York state is responsible for the paintings and drawings on rocks in national parks, which could lead to felony charges.

A phone listing for Nocket was disconnected, and a message left Thursday for a possible relative was not immediately returned.

Rangers say they've now confirmed images in Joshua Tree in California and at two more Colorado locations, bringing the total number of tagged parks to eight. A drawing in Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park was reported and removed last month.

The Highland, New York, woman allegedly used Instagram and Tumblr to document her works during a summer trip. The park service began investigating Oct. 20.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Goblin Valley - not Monument Valley.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Not long ago you recall 2 boy scout leaders toppled a rock off its perch in Monument Valley because they thought it was dangerous and would fall on someone. The excuse didn't work for them when they were prosecuted. I have faith she will be held accountable for her deeds.

http://youtu.be/bZQlPrnsfoc

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe we should start a club, or a sub forum: "The Rock Salt Bunch."
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

jocat54
Explorer
Explorer
That rock salt does hurt----watermelons not worth the stinging and burning. Only took me one time to figure this out being the quick learner I am:B
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

John & Kathy & Gizmo (maltipoo)
1999 38ft Monaco Diplomat DP
Leakey, Tx (Texas Hill Country)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I agree - but now you would get locked up for it and there would be sympathy for the offender.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Fish 'n ' Grits wrote:
In my youth, vandalism, as well as watermelon theft,and theft of gas from farm equipment was many times punished by the application of of a 20 gauge load (or two)of rock salt applied to the posterior region of the offender. It was a great deterrent to petty crime! In this case I think it would be well deserved. Just an old man's opinion.

This works. I stole apples from a grumpy old farmer just ONCE.

Application of rock salt cured that....permanently.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Fish__n___Grits
Explorer
Explorer
In my youth, vandalism, as well as watermelon theft,and theft of gas from farm equipment was many times punished by the application of of a 20 gauge load (or two)of rock salt applied to the posterior region of the offender. It was a great deterrent to petty crime! In this case I think it would be well deserved. Just an old man's opinion.
Billy & Dale
'99 F350 DRW Superduty
'02 Lance 1161
Salli the "Schnoodle"

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me something my mother would say (esp. when seeing names carved in trees and picnic tables):

"Fools names and fools faces are often seen in public places".
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
From the above linked article -

"Because while outcry for Nocketโ€™s actions are fresh and loud right now, soon it will disappear just like her paintings on the rock, albeit with a little rubbing alcohol and a wash cloth.

Really?

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
NPR Article

It was easy to track her down. She wasn't even trying to be secretive, which shows an amazing lack of awareness.