cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some help from experienced South West Florida peeps!

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! My husband and I are totally new to not only this forum, but to everything RV. We have a huge learning curve ahead of us but are ready to learn!
We are in our mid/late 40's and have just purchased a new Chev 3500HD and a Cedar Creek 36CKTS. It's going to sit in the yard this winter and then we will take it to our local shoreline for the summer months to learn. NEXT winter we have big dreams of driving it (her?..lol) to our favourite warm place...South West Florida!
The problem I'm having is that I've never been anywhere in Fla except Sanibel, Fort Myers Beach area and Orlando. So much to explore! But it's hard when looking for a place...when you don't know where to look. I know there's a ton of little towns/cities all along that coast that I don't even know. Thought maybe you guys could help out a bit.
Sanibel ( oh how I miss it ) would be PERFECT, but sadly there is only 1 CG and it looks bleak as far as getting in there. Also the kicker is no dogs allowed!! And I have 1 boston that would be very unhappy if we left him behind!
Criteria is this: Because I will be there alone a fair amount, I've got to be able to walk/bike to an awesome beach, grocery store, restaurant and hey, why not some shopping too?? So walking friendly for sure. Long beach area for walks (dog friendly) and nature is important. But in saying that, I certainly don't mind people around. We would have looked at Myrtle Beach (closer to us) but I'm worried it won't be warm enough and it might be rather empty around my camper, which would freak me out. And maybe even depressing, with things closing up for the season....could be way off there, but again, so hard to know if you haven't seen it! And of course, all the amenities...clean, large paved sites, laundry, propane fill ups (whatever that's for lol...see?) palm trees....
So, I'm hoping for a few suggestions from people in the know. I can't tell you how much we have learned already creeping this site. It's actually why we looked at the CC line and also went with the 3500 after nearly buying a 2500. So thanks for that! We feel good about our purchases, albeit rather broke!
Thanks again,
Michelle
16 REPLIES 16

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Check out riversidervresort.com

You should also read the rvparkreviews on this park. Listed for Arcadia, but it is only 5 miles from Port Charlotte.

Also check riversidesnowbirds.com This is the activity and social contacts run by the winter snowbirds.

2 Dog Parks. A big dog park of 5 acres and a small dog park of 2500 sq. ft. W
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I search the web for ideas and also have become quite the stalker on Google Earth. On Earth, you can set options for commercial companies like malls, eateries, hotels campgrounds, etc. You can look from above and from street view so that helps with "can I fit in there and is there parking?" After some time on Earth, you can really become good about finding places and things.
Anytime you're not working is good time.

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I'll check those sites out for sure and I use TA regularly. Didn't think to check for campgrounds on it also!
I've been doing lots of research and reading the replays I've gotten here. I wish SC was a little warmer during the winter months. But I have found Dunedin RV Resort in Florida it kind of checks all the boxes for me. I love the idea of being able to hike the Pinellas Trail and also walk/bike to the beach, groceries, etc.
I'm excited!!
You've all been very helpful. Thank you.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you use rvparkreviews.com you'll want to read this thread
http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27110717.cfm

I find the ratings at Woodalls.com to be helpful as well as their campground search engine. You can also get very informative reviews at Tripadvisor.com
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Many on this site use RV Park Review.com as a campground research tool. I've provided a link below. If you haven't used it before just click on the state you're interested in and then you can scroll through the cities listed along the left side for RV parks/campgrounds in that area. The reviews are provided by real campground users rather than a company whose objective is selling advertising. You can usually access the campground's web site and a map of the location from the site. Good luck finding what you want.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Also, the ability to walk or bike to a beach is a must.
Thx!

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Tachdriver, Ft Desoto looks awesome but it is only for 14 nights. I need 4 months. But that's certainly on the right track!
Dunedin looked good too, because of the Pinellas Trail. I sent them an email.
I'm still searching all of your suggestions....thank you, all!
Michelle

jbealecass
Explorer
Explorer
Google Bonita Springs-just saying...

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Ft. Desoto just south of St. Petersburg while you are at it. The campground is on a peninsula on the bay in the park, the sites are nice and large, there are huge pull through sites as well and the a lot of flora between sites giving you some privacy.

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill, I'll take a look!
-Michelle

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
If you like Myrtle, Myrtle Beach Travel Park has a lot of folks wintering over. That would have you right on the beach,Walmart and Tangiers outlet is around the corner. Might be worth a look.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much, everyone...There are some good suggestions and I will start looking at the different places mentioned. I very much appreciate the feedback! It's great to be able to at least know where to start to look.
-Michelle, Nova Scotia

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many quality places in Florida you're going to have fun looking at them and choosing your spots. That's all I'm going to say so have fun!!

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
Lake San Marino, Wiggins Pass Road, North Naples might be a place to take a look at.

Its an easy bike ride to Wiggins Pass State Beach and Barefoot Beach. There is ton of activities at the park. 60 to 80 bicycle riders leave the park in small groups for a organized destination ride every Tuesday and Thursday. You are grouped by the speed you want to ride at. 10-12 mph, 12-14 mph, 14-16 mph and 16 mph plus.

There is plenty at this park to keep you busy. The people in the park are very friendly and would welcome you right into the organized and non-organized activities.

A couple of cons- It is expensive compared to other places farther north, but not compared to what they get in other campgrounds in Naples. Most sites are 30 amps and are relatively small.

Good luck with your search.
Paul

EDIT- I reread your post. The nearest grocery store, Publics is about 1.7 miles away depending on your location in the campground. If you do not have transportation besides a bicycle, look real carefully at the campgrounds location, as distance can be very deceiving in Florida. What appears to be around the corner on Google maps is really 10 miles away in some rural areas of Florida.

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet